New 55 gallon predator fish only tank (cleap up crew)

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand what you are saying. I also did not clarify that the YT is destined for the 180 eventually. My issue is with "you can't" I despise those words!! I am the person that if you tell me I can't do something, I will immediately go out of my way to prove you wrong.

It is absolutely possible to keep a Yellow Tang in a 55. just be aware it WILL outgrow it and need to be rehomed.
It's possible to keep nearly anything in a 55g, as a baby. That doesn't mean someone who only has a 55gal should buy any fish they want. It's bad practice for someone to buy a fish they won't be able to keep for its whole life, or to buy a fish for a tank they're planning to eventually get. Too often, life gets in the way and the fish suffers.

Redtail catfish are a freshwater fish that can get to 4-5 feet long. I can get a baby at a few inches long and put it in a 55gal freshwater tank, and it'll be fine in there, until it grows. That doesn't mean I should buy a redtail catfish, if I have a 55gal tank and no plans to upgrade.
The phrase "a redtail catfish can live in a 55gal" is misleading; it sounds like the fish can be kept in the tank for good. Same for the phrase "a yellow tang can be kept in a 55gal". A baby yellow tang, or a baby of any reef fish, can be kept in a 55gal. Until it grows. Then it can't be.

When recommending fish for someone, it's best to only recommend fish that can live in the tank size given for the fish's entire lifespan. If something can only live in the tank as a baby, you really need to clarify that, and it's still not an ideal recommendation. There are plenty of nice fish without needing to get something that's going to grow too big.

OP
OP
M

marinemac1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys i have a seaclone 100 protein skimmer and its been running for 2 days now and nothing is foaming up.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer on my 55.. It took several days to see it actually start producing the skimmate sludge that you expect to see from a skimmer.. Give it some time.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fact.. since I added the 2nd canister on that tank, the skimmer has basically removed nothing of any consequence. The collection cup gathers about 1/4 inch of pretty clear water over the course of a week and that is all.

OP
OP
M

marinemac1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fact.. since I added the 2nd canister on that tank, the skimmer has basically removed nothing of any consequence. The collection cup gathers about 1/4 inch of pretty clear water over the course of a week and that is all.
after i bought this skimmer i read such bad reviews on it lol go figures

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here... I got it because I don't have a sump on that tank so I wanted a HOB skimmer.. It is loud for sure... but it DOES work. Also, I did the water bottle addition for it.. You can see links to this on YouTube. Basically you cut off the top 2 inches or so from a standard 500ml water bottle and place it inside the skimmer, below the collection cup. It is supposed to make the skimmer more efficient.

OP
OP
M

marinemac1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also don’t have a sump, do this was the next best thing. i saw that video on youtube but didn’t watch it. thank you for the overview. i will give it a look!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also don’t have a sump, do this was the next best thing. i saw that video on youtube but didn’t watch it. thank you for the overview. i will give it a look!

It is going to take a bit of tinkering to stop the microbubbles.. but rest assured, once you get it dialed in, you will have good skimming and little to no microbubbles.

Microbubbles wont hurt the tank, but they do make the tank appear cloudy..

OP
OP
M

marinemac1000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4A3ECA4F-AA2F-4E57-AFEC-AC7835EEC0FB.png
what do you guys think about me getting this pool to fully integrate the fish that will grow out the 55 gallon tank? Keep it predator fish only and everything i mentioned above so the snowflake eel, dogface puffer, porcupine puffer,dwarf lion, & additionally the clown and Picasso triggers, bamboo shark, & a stingeray? the gallons is 470. will this be enough real for all of these animals. my stock list stops there. also with such a massive body of water what kind of filtration & powerheads would i need. also the pool would be placed outside and i was wondering if its would be harmful for the fish eventually?

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue is with "you can't" I despise those words!! I am the person that if you tell me I can't do something, I will immediately go out of my way to prove you wrong.

You can't breathe underwater without assistance. You can't fly by flapping your arms. You probably can't afford to go to outer space on short notice.

Prove me wrong... Videos or it didn't happen

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large turbo snails. Golf ball sized ones. I have around of 15-20 in a 200 with big triggerfish and they do not get eatten. The two large triggers might grab and throw them but they cant eat them. If your system has no algae to eat the snails will die so kinda wait till its right time.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of cool and fascinating fish can live long term in a 55 gallon? The biggest I’ll go is 75 and that’s not until next year.
There are smaller puffers and lions that would be ok.

* Valentini puffer
* Blue spot puffer
* Dwarf fuzzy lion

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cuc will be mostly urchins.
You can add nocturnal animals like top crown snails or bumble bee snails too but you will still need to replenish these livestock items as triggers like the hard shells and game or fun of eating the soft good insides.
D

Back