SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great video and especially with all the family involved. I noticed Dena was doing all the lifting again, with you being ‘artistic director’ ! Lol

I found one of the most enjoyable parts of building my tank, which is a similar size, was this stage were your adding the rocks, then the sand and bringing the thing to life, and next the water. After all the planning it becomes reality and it’s very exciting.

It was particularly exciting when I started to fill it, having not leak tested it, because the tank builders assured me it wouldn’t leak. You know when your sort of looking on the floor, out of the corner of your eye, trying not to worry....... That’s a perfect job for Dena and the kids. Oh the pranks they could play on you. DAD THERE’S WATER COMING........... Infact pm me their contact details........

Has the tank got any bracing on it as it looked completely open at the top, which looks nice. I’m used to euro bracing over in England/Europe on the larger tanks ?

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it took me a few days to get the aquscaping the way I wanted it. If your like me. We do the Aquascaping thinking what we have built in our minds will come out the first time. Then we keep messing around with it. I had to sleep on it couple nights to get it just right. So here we go the video of the 600 gallon reef tank called the hulk Aquascaping how you enjoy.
AQUASCAPEING THE 600 Gallon Aquarium THE HULK

Another good video production. Well, except for that first song you used. After the first 30 seconds, I really was struggling. After the first minute, I could take it no more and plunged an ice pick into my ear. I had just taken the ice pick out of my left ear and, while reaffirming my resolve before jamming it into my right ear, realized I could simply mute the sound. I feel fortunate that I had the "muting" idea as I still have hearing in one ear which to listen to good music!

One thing that you did not mention, in between slave driving your family, was the type of sand you are using in the tank. ?

(I know I sometimes give you a hard time. However, no joking around when I say I am quite certain you and your family will look back on this activity with great fondness!)

OP
OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These kits fit like a charm ! What a great design! The XHO-30 they fit right into my AI 52 HD’s. @Reefbrite
D77EFE60-AB6C-42DA-89A8-86D4F49F5046.jpeg
8CB09B42-AF1F-405B-AD5C-1B360E00DCB7.jpeg

OP
OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another good video production. Well, except for that first song you used. After the first 30 seconds, I really was struggling. After the first minute, I could take it no more and plunged an ice pick into my ear. I had just taken the ice pick out of my left ear and, while reaffirming my resolve before jamming it into my right ear, realized I could simply mute the sound. I feel fortunate that I had the "muting" idea as I still have hearing in one ear which to listen to good music!

One thing that you did not mention, in between slave driving your family, was the type of sand you are using in the tank. ?

(I know I sometimes give you a hard time. However, no joking around when I say I am quite certain you and your family will look back on this activity with great fondness!)
I am not sure what to say ? Lol

OP
OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great video and especially with all the family involved. I noticed Dena was doing all the lifting again, with you being ‘artistic director’ ! Lol

I found one of the most enjoyable parts of building my tank, which is a similar size, was this stage were your adding the rocks, then the sand and bringing the thing to life, and next the water. After all the planning it becomes reality and it’s very exciting.

It was particularly exciting when I started to fill it, having not leak tested it, because the tank builders assured me it wouldn’t leak. You know when your sort of looking on the floor, out of the corner of your eye, trying not to worry....... That’s a perfect job for Dena and the kids. Oh the pranks they could play on you. DAD THERE’S WATER COMING........... Infact pm me their contact details........

Has the tank got any bracing on it as it looked completely open at the top, which looks nice. I’m used to euro bracing over in England/Europe on the larger tanks ?
Thanks for checking it out lol. My hole family wanted in. They have always enjoyed the tanks. Plus know I have memories that will last forever.

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here Samson Here is my design the tank is 96x30x48 hope this helps
96x48x30x1.JPG

the stand

I didn’t go through all 15 pages of this so I apologize if this is redundant. It looks like the stand is powder-coated steel. If so did you seal it with any kind of epoxy or lacquer? If you did what did you use? A lot of people believe that powder-coating seals but it’s actually extremely porous and one of the worst finishes against oxidization.

I’m in the process of designing a steel stand for my tank and exploring sealant options.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Sand of Choice:

When building my new 600-gallon reef tank “THE HULK”, I have to think of every aspect of the build - right down to asking yourself “Am I going bare bottom or sand?”.

I have always been a sand man when it comes to reef tanks. I prefer the more oceanic appeal. People have asked “Do you need to add live sand to your tank?” – The answer is no, you don't. All sand will become live sand* in your tank once it matures, however live sand can be more expensive than dry sand. The current sand I use is from previous tanks and I will be adding a few more bags of FIJI PINK ARAG-ALIVE LIVE REEF SAND to help seed my dry sand with live bacteria. I havedone this on all my previous reef tanks with great results. I am a big fan of the FIJI PINK! I have added 480 pounds of sand, which gives me a 2” sand bed at 0.5-1.5 grains in size.

If you all say my latest YouTube video, the Nash familywere helping me add the Fiji Pink sand to the display and didn’t they do an awesome job? If you haven’t seen it – head over to our YouTube page and watch. A family that reefs together, stays together!

For those of you who are wanting to go bare bottom, it does have its benefits. Personally, it isn’t for me. One major benefit is easier maintenance. You can easily siphon off detritus (dead organic matter - such as fragments of dead organisms or fish waste) that collect on the bottom of the tank making it easier to export excess nutrients such as ammonia, nitrates and phosphates. I feel if you have a solid established tank with the right amount of cleanup and filtration system you can have the best of both worlds without sacrificing the sand.

I personally like sand as it gives my wrasses a place to hideand sleep. Plus, we are trying to mimic the ocean, and we get the benefits of the bacteria growth to help clean our tanks. We all enjoy different things in this hobby which is what makes the hobby so much fun. I have friends that have bare bottom tanks that they love and are successful - it to each there own!

Here is the Marine depo sand bed calculator if you would like to figure out the depth you would like in your tank.

Aquarium Sand Bed Depth Calculator - Marine Depot

*Live sand:

A term used in aquarism, is a natural reef coral sand populated with millions of beneficial bacteria and organisms which aid in the dissolving of organic wastes like ammonia, nitrites and nitrates produced by larger organisms in saltwater aquariums. @crusso1993
8E4FCF36-57C2-4658-B9E5-0DD9E20112AF.jpeg
24C652A0-6BB6-4B1A-AC20-47E2FB704FAE.jpeg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Sand of Choice:

When building my new 600-gallon reef tank “THE HULK”, I have to think of every aspect of the build - right down to asking yourself “Am I going bare bottom or sand?”.

I have always been a sand man when it comes to reef tanks. I prefer the more oceanic appeal. People have asked “Do you need to add live sand to your tank?” – The answer is no, you don't. All sand will become live sand* in your tank once it matures, however live sand can be more expensive than dry sand. The current sand I use is from previous tanks and I will be adding a few more bags of FIJI PINK ARAG-ALIVE LIVE REEF SAND to help seed my dry sand with live bacteria. I havedone this on all my previous reef tanks with great results. I am a big fan of the FIJI PINK! I have added 480 pounds of sand, which gives me a 2” sand bed at 0.5-1.5 grains in size.

If you all say my latest YouTube video, the Nash familywere helping me add the Fiji Pink sand to the display and didn’t they do an awesome job? If you haven’t seen it – head over to our YouTube page and watch. A family that reefs together, stays together!

For those of you who are wanting to go bare bottom, it does have its benefits. Personally, it isn’t for me. One major benefit is easier maintenance. You can easily siphon off detritus (dead organic matter - such as fragments of dead organisms or fish waste) that collect on the bottom of the tank making it easier to export excess nutrients such as ammonia, nitrates and phosphates. I feel if you have a solid established tank with the right amount of cleanup and filtration system you can have the best of both worlds without sacrificing the sand.

I personally like sand as it gives my wrasses a place to hideand sleep. Plus, we are trying to mimic the ocean, and we get the benefits of the bacteria growth to help clean our tanks. We all enjoy different things in this hobby which is what makes the hobby so much fun. I have friends that have bare bottom tanks that they love and are successful - it to each there own!

Here is the Marine depo sand bed calculator if you would like to figure out the depth you would like in your tank.

Aquarium Sand Bed Depth Calculator - Marine Depot

*Live sand:

A term used in aquarism, is a natural reef coral sand populated with millions of beneficial bacteria and organisms which aid in the dissolving of organic wastes like ammonia, nitrites and nitrates produced by larger organisms in saltwater aquariums. @crusso1993
8E4FCF36-57C2-4658-B9E5-0DD9E20112AF.jpeg
24C652A0-6BB6-4B1A-AC20-47E2FB704FAE.jpeg

Does it have any kind of bracing on it with that width as it’s all open at the top ?

OP
OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second day install putting everything together! Youtube video to follow These kits fit like a charm sexy as hell ! What a great design! The XHO-30 they fit right on my AI 52 HD’s. @Reefbrite •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••Follow us on YouTube • instagram• Facebook. twitter for all the updates
kkk.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
FARMBOYREEF

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting all the Ai Ext hanger set perfect. Been at this for couple hours. Everything needs to be level plum square ! The laser really helps big time! •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••Follow us on YouTube • instagram• @Reefbrite
aaa.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting all the Ai Ext hanger set perfect. Been at this for couple hours. Everything needs to be level plum square ! The laser really helps big time! •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••Follow us on YouTube • instagram• @Reefbrite
aaa.jpg

Lasers are the best!

Looking forward to seeing your tank all lit up!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back