OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna eggs for test kits, heard Salifert are good too.

Royal gramma is all bark no bite.

instead of waiting so long, get yourself a Duncan Coral now and feed it every couple of days. you learn about corals and get to keep a very easy one too. they don't require crazy lighting and feeding will make it grow fast.

if you get a nem down the road, don't expect it to stay still or host the clowns as they are the single most unpredictable creatures I have ever seen...

Right on, thanks for the tips! I'll have to see if my lfs has any Duncan Coral when I swing by there tomorrow.

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some things over the weekend. Went to the lfs with the intent of getting a couple more turbo snails and a diamond watchman goby, but the wife has become more addicted than me and insisted on getting a small bicolor angelfish. ;Wideyed I have to admit, the bicolor angel is a really pretty fish and was a good addition. The purple dottyback made about one attempt to harass the angel which didn't end in his favor. The angel hasn't attacked him in return, but he certainly lets him know what's up. One of the clowns seems to have a pretty keen interest in the angel which is pretty cool to watch. The purple dottyback is going back to the lfs this weekend in exchange for a royal gramma or something small that's less of jerk. When the diamond watchman goby finally came out of his newly excavated fortress today he was all over him. What's crazy is the goby is way bigger than the little punk. The dottyback is like the chihuahua of the sea or something. Tested the water this morning and so far so good, but I'm guessing it may spike a little bit. I'm going to try and be disciplined and leave the tank alone for at least a month. In the meantime I've been eyeing some of the Nuvo 30L build threads lol. The wife wants a long low profile tank for a section of the kitchen counter away from all the appliances. The Nuvo looks like a pretty good bet based on the real estate we have to work with (plenty long, but limited to 16.5" of clearance under the cabinets).

Bicolor Angelfish telling the dottyback to politely shove off..
0617191211a.jpg

Bad pic of the diamond watchman goby at the front entrance to his underground lair. He has a side exit as well as one at the back of the structure.
0617191210.jpg

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small updates -

We weren't able to trap the dottyback like we had hoped. Ended up getting a small school(5) of blue green chromis to act as dither fish per the lfs' recommendation. It seems to have done the trick! We did end up losing one of the chromis and one turbo snail. The rest of the fish are looking good except one of the chromis. He'll swim with the school for a good part of the day, but then he'll break off and go hang out in the back left corner of the tank. When he's down there he swims a kind of weird short up and down pattern. Not sure if he's trying to sleep or something or if he's a soon to be goner. The water tests did show a small spike when we added the school, so I'm guessing that might have been what did in the snail. It was showing a minimal bit of ammonia and nitrite. the ammonia cleared up pretty quick after a big water change, but the nitrite hung around so I ended up doing a dose of prime. Anyone seen that kind of behavior from chromis? Wondering if its normal or not.. I plan on leaving this tank as is for the next 3-4 weeks to stabalize and mature a little bit more. After that I'm thinking of adding 3 yellowtail blue damsels, and a pearlscale butterflyfish.

While that's happening I'm working on expanding the addiction... I ordered a 60g cube(24x24x24) w/ corner overflow, a Kesil A360X, and a reef octopus classic 150ss skimmer :) I should also be getting a MP10WQD, a jebao dct4000, and a trigger systems 20g cube sump. This tank will be my journey into a reefing :) My plan is to start with easy care corals. That "favorite zoa" thread has me gettin all excited lol. I'll start up a build thread for the new setup once all the gear gets here.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this about Chromis, there can be only one.... They are very aggressive towards their own kind. Usually they will kill off 1 by 1 until you have one left, highlander style...

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this about Chromis, there can be only one.... They are very aggressive towards their own kind. Usually they will kill off 1 by 1 until you have one left, highlander style...
Well this should be interesting to watch then lol. I see one with a scale that looks damaged

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some July updates -

The evil purple dottyback has been re-homed finally. The final straw was him attacking one of my new porcelain crabs. Had the crabs in the tank for less than 5 minutes before he nipped at one. Grabbed a 2 liter coke bottle and made a fish trap with that using frozen mysis shrimp. Worked like a champ! He's now living in a more aggressive tank where he'll find out he's not the baddest dude on the block. The crabs were added along with a few nerite snails and ceriths to bump up the CUC.

Fast forward a couple weeks - our diamond watchman goby no longer hides in his underground lair out of fear of the purple menace! The chromis haven't murdered each other yet, altho one of them is swimming around the back of the tank like he took too many shots to the head. The two porcelain crabs are in deep hiding or our recently liberated goby had em for a snack. Hopefully they're just hiding as I really liked watching them feeding.

Last weekend - while picking up the stand for our new 60g cube build we couldn't resist bringing home something for the tank. We grabbed a really pretty fire shrimp and a tiny royal gramma. The wife and I were blown away by how cool the shrimp looked. The shrimp and our bicolor angelfish became instant buddies. It's so cool watching how they interact with each other. The wife decided the shrimp should be named Forrest, short for Forrest Gump lol and the gramma Barney because well, he's purple..

I could really use some pointers on taking pics with my cell phone. I'm using a LG G5 and I also picked up the IceCap multi lens kit, but I didn't notice a difference with them so I'm guessing I'm just doing it wrong.

0715191516.jpg
0715191517.jpg
0715191517_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized there's an entire forum for photography here, I'll go check that out, but please feel free to offer suggestions :)

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well crap, going on hour 12 or so with no power at the house. Had some really bad storms here in Wisconsin yesterday. 2 power poles were snapped just 3 houses down from where I live. We dont have a generator and of course every store within reach is sold out. I did have an EcoTech mp10 and battery backup laying around for my new build that I was able to use for a little bit, but its drained now. Will have to see what the mirning brings, but it looks like a tank crash is in my future [emoji22]

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your house maintains a decent temperature, an airstone or wave maker keeping the water oxygenated shouldnt use much much juice. Heaters will drain a battery and hopefully the ambient temp wont chnage drastically. Do you have a UPS for a laptop or computer?

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The battery backup is still chugging along! Temp is at 70.5 and holding, no deaths yet! We also finally found a generator, bout to make the 2 hr trip now. Could use some luck as we might be without power a couple more days possibly

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generator is hooked up, tank is all alive!! The basement freezer jam packed with foods only got 19 degrees phew! I credit that EcoTech battery backup and mp10wqd for saving the tank tho. Who woulda thought it would have enough charge right out the box to last 26 hours and still be going! Word on the street is we may not have commercial power till Thursday tho

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoying a frosty beer and trying to sort out the electrical for the rest of the house now. Got a Generac 8000 watt running 10000 watt startup generator

Last edited:

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to back feed my whole house into the dryer plug with a 6000 watt. It's frowned upon and you HAVE TO shut of your main breaker to stop any power going out the main line. If you don't, you could actually kill an electrical worker trying to fix the lines on your street.

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good day today! Woke up to find one of my clowns with spots/blotches on it, and one of my chromis dead :( Please check out my diagnose the disease post here - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/clown-has-spots-help-please.634946/
Need some good vibes and good advice please! The irony of all this is I've been planning a QT setup for my basement this week to have it available for my new build.

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bloodbath. Half the tank population was wiped out and I don't think its over yet. I'm not sure if it was stress related due to the power outage situation that lasted 3 days over the weekend, or if the pearlscale butterfly introduced something to the tank. Either way I'll be setting up a QT before I add anything to this tank or my new build going forward.

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ugly sight of failure. 30+ hour power outage thanks to mother nature + lack of contingency planning = failure. Might have overreacted in breaking down everything, but I've been putting together a "proper" 60g cube build that doesnt cut any corners. The defeat and disappointment are real. I feel like I failed my fin having friends and I'm hurt for it [emoji22][emoji22]
1564346364370.jpeg

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very unlucky.

Things were progressing but the tank needed some more time to mature and I think you would have been fine.

Here the newness of the tank and its residents combined with the power outage just really drastically raised the fishes stress level, making them more and more susceptible to disease.

Eventually some got there and it was like another punch to your system.

Don't beat yourself up too hard. Are you putting the 75g away for a bit until you have the cube reef up and running?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back