New Additions Dying At High Rate In Mature System

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am at a loss, with no idea on what could be going on other than the fact my source for fish Marine Collectors just had a bad batch of fish, or they introduced something to my system.

System 3 years old now 120gal. Last fish was added 2 year and 8 months ago. I decided to add a few more couple months ago and that's where things went bad.

First order flasher , possum and coris. Flasher came in not swimming just laying on side. Coris came in well. After acclimation they went into a box to check for any aggression. No issues after 2 days so I let them both lose. The flasher still wouldn't swim. Few hours later the flasher was on its side breathing heavy then die. The coris took for the sand. Next day the coris was on the sand breathing heavy then died. Possum is doing well and still with me.

1 week later my 3yr old potters wrasse I came home to on the sand breathing fast then died 2-3 hours later.

1.5-2 weeks later my 3+ year old male earmuff wrasse turned up dead on Monday.

New shipment, rhomboid, choati and flasher. Next day choati was floating dead. Rhomboid and flasher still doing well, both swimming and eating well. 2 days later flasher not coming out of the cave, laying on ground but breathing normal. Next day flasher is on sand breathing fast and dead within 2 hours.

Possum and rhomboid are still doing good, swimming and eating.

Other fish in the system:
3 yr Male yellow tail - doing fine
3 yr Ccb- doing fine
3yr fox face - doing fine
6y black cap basket - doing fine.

What am I missing? I have not seen any aggression from any of the og's to be fish and none of the og's are aggressive to each other. Pictures below are from the most recent flasher that died an hour ago. No CUC has gotten to this fish btw.

Also I still have this fish Incase @Jay Hemdal needs me to inspect further.

IMG_20211023_100851_01.jpg PXL_20211023_142815925.jpg PXL_20211023_142819911.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Typically when sudden death occurs, it is either disease or water quality.
What test kits are you using and what is your maintenance schedule ?
Any behavioral changes such as rapid breathing, loss of appetite, scratching, gasping at surface or swimming into flow of powerheads?

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like something flesh eating bacteria. Any of the others look like this fish gills?
Nope all other fish looks fine. The coris has a slight red mark when it died see below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211023-121900.png
    Screenshot_20211023-121900.png
    638.3 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically when sudden death occurs, it is either disease or water quality.
What test kits are you using and what is your maintenance schedule ?
Any behavioral changes such as rapid breathing, loss of appetite, scratching, gasping at surface or swimming into flow of powerheads?
Nyos for no3 15-20ppm
I run a little carbon, uv, skimmer. Monthly water changes. Orp reads between high 300 and low 400s.

None of those symptoms on any of the fish including the ones that died. The only thing I notice is the ones that die go into hiding hours or a day before the ended up dead.

My existing fish and the two new additions that are doing well all have great appetites and are eating as normal.

This is what's so strange about it. At this point I really hope that a reefer like myself 8 plus years is doing something wrong with the acclamation, or these fish or just from a bad batch. All fish were dripped acclimated for 2 hours, a procedure that I've used my entire time in this hobby which matches up on any vendors directions including Marine collectors.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I see on fish here 1st pic rotten gills maybe excludes toxins. Is this fish only? Odd how its mostly the wrasses. Maybe consider using anti protozoa meds.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I see on fish here 1st pic rotten gills maybe excludes toxins. Is this fish only? Odd how its mostly the wrasses. Maybe consider using anti protozoa meds.
Are those medications reef safe for inverts and SPS? And what were those medications be?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hard to tell if gills are issue after being deceased unless you do a microscope check of gills. Flukes are a possibility but FW dip would have determined if any fell off or again microscope image. If flukes, Praxiquental (praziPro) would work and although reef safe, I would dose at 75-80% as it will affect both appetite and oxygen.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were these fish shipped in oxygen for 24-36 hours? Ammonia burn during long acclimation?

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell if gills are issue after being deceased unless you do a microscope check of gills. Flukes are a possibility but FW dip would have determined if any fell off or again microscope image. If flukes, Praxiquental (praziPro) would work and although reef safe, I would dose at 75-80% as it will affect both appetite and oxygen.
Wouldn't the fish be scratching or hanging out by a powerhead if they were being affected by flukes? And when did flukes kill within a data 3 days? And that's assuming that the fish came in with flukes from Elliot which is somewhat hard to believe because he treats for flukes on all his fish. And if I have flukes existing in my system which I don't think I do because none of my existing fish show any signs. And like I mentioned I haven't added a fish in 2 years 8 months.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were these fish shipped in oxygen for 24-36 hours? Ammonia burn during long acclimation?
That's the only thing I could be thinking about is ammonia burn. But I'm not sure how that could be happening it's only a 2-hour acclimation and fish were obviously shipped overnight from California to New Jersey.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wouldn't the fish be scratching or hanging out by a powerhead if they were being affected by flukes? And when did flukes kill within a data 3 days? And that's assuming that the fish came in with flukes from Elliot which is somewhat hard to believe because he treats for flukes on all his fish. And if I have flukes existing in my system which I don't think I do because none of my existing fish show any signs. And like I mentioned I haven't added a fish in 2 years 8 months.
In advanced stage- can overtake a fish quickly. They can come in on rock, inverts and plants if any were added. Flukes come in 2 types : Ones that infect the skin of the fish (trematodes), and ones that will infect both the skin and gills of the fish (monogenenean). Both can be very hard if not impossible to see on the fish until its at very advanced stages. While attached to the fish, they will feed on the tissue which they are attached to and start releasing eggs which will fall and lay dormant in the aquarium for about a week. They will hatch releasing free floating / swimming larva. This larva will survive for two or three days without attaching to a host before dieing.
Im ruling it again as a podssibilty- Not cause

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back