New AI Hydra 32 HD vs. Radion XR30W G4 pro?

CaptainCooke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

This is actually my first post on reef2reef!
I have been out of the hobby for about 6 years but I’m getting back into it!

I’m setting up my new system and was about to pull the trigger on a Radion XR30W G4 Pro when AI announced last week that they were releasing the latest update to the Hydra 32 HD and Hydra 64 HD.

Now I’m torn. I do like the AI app and I have loved using the older Hydras. But, I just don’t know how they will compare with the XR30W G4 Pro.

Do I go with the new AI Hydra 32 HD or the Radion XR30W G4 Pro?

My plan is to have a mainly SPS dominant tank. So I’m looking for the high par and full spectrum.

Someone please persuade me one way or another! I would love to see a comparison of the two!

Thanks!

OP
OP
CaptainCooke

CaptainCooke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay! I see what you are saying.

Then ...I’m curious to how the AI32HD compares to the XR15W G4 Pro and also to how the AI64HD compares to the XR30W G4 Pro.

The AI website says these new models have 20% more LEDs. What does that do for the power, spectrum, par, light spread etc and how do they compare to the Radions?

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did check BRS, they do not list how many types of leds are present for AI 64. That way we can compare it to the radion and make an informed decision.

XR 30 G4 Pro

Number of LED's
8x Cool White
8x Deep Blue
8x Blue
4x Green
4x Photo Red
8x UV
4x Violet
2x Warm White

OP
OP
CaptainCooke

CaptainCooke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did check BRS, they do not list how many types of leds are present for AI 64. That way we can compare it to the radion and make an informed decision.

XR 30 G4 Pro

Number of LED's
8x Cool White
8x Deep Blue
8x Blue
4x Green
4x Photo Red
8x UV
4x Violet
2x Warm White

Thanks! I couldn’t find any info on what the “20% more LEDs” that AI is touting included either.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On ai website it compares the 2 and hydra steps ahead by a few points in most categories. I'll look for the write up

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XR 30 G4 Pro

Number of LED's
8x Cool White
8x Deep Blue
8x Blue
4x Green
4x Photo Red
8x UV
4x Violet
2x Warm White

Hydra 64DH

8 – Cool White
8 – Blue
8– Royal Blue
2– Photo Red
2– Green
2– Violet
2– UV
2 – Moonlight

Looks to me that the main thing the Hydras are missing is warm white, when compared to the XR30 Pro.

OP
OP
CaptainCooke

CaptainCooke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XR 30 G4 Pro

Number of LED's
8x Cool White
8x Deep Blue
8x Blue
4x Green
4x Photo Red
8x UV
4x Violet
2x Warm White

Hydra 64DH

8 – Cool White
8 – Blue
8– Royal Blue
2– Photo Red
2– Green
2– Violet
2– UV
2 – Moonlight

Looks to me that the main thing the Hydras are missing is warm white, when compared to the XR30 Pro.

Thank you! This is super helpful.
It does look like the XR30W is still the winner (at least in LED count and colors) .
In addition to the white I also wonder if having the extra UV and violet would make a significant difference.

Thanks again!

ArmyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with Hydra 26 on my tank and I can honestly say I wish I would have went with Radions.

The two main reasons is I actually like the color spectrum better on the Radions. (AI Prime HD was is my favorite.)
And the other main reason is they set you up for success with settings. 2 main things that go into play for me, is you can use there AB settings (or any setting you want) then adjust the overall intensity. With the AI line you have to adjust each channel. The AI app is awesome though, but honestly have not touched it since I got everything dialed in 6 months ago.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with Hydra 26 on my tank and I can honestly say I wish I would have went with Radions.

The two main reasons is I actually like the color spectrum better on the Radions. (AI Prime HD was is my favorite.)
And the other main reason is they set you up for success with settings. 2 main things that go into play for me, is you can use there AB settings (or any setting you want) then adjust the overall intensity. With the AI line you have to adjust each channel. The AI app is awesome though, but honestly have not touched it since I got everything dialed in 6 months ago.
The AI Prime HD is EXACTLY the same as as the Hydra 26HD, just 1 puck instead of 2. Also, you CAN set your AI lights up for the colors you want and then change the intesity of all lights at once. Simply place 2 fingers on the screen of your device (while in the myAI app on the control screen) and swipe up or down to change the intensity of the entire light at once.

ArmyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AI Prime HD is EXACTLY the same as as the Hydra 26HD, just 1 puck instead of 2. Also, you CAN set your AI lights up for the colors you want and then change the intesity of all lights at once. Simply place 2 fingers on the screen of your device (while in the myAI app on the control screen) and swipe up or down to change the intensity of the entire light at once.
Definitely did not know that about the 2 finger thing, will have to check that out, but I know I read that the reason you get a different visual appeal is the LED configuration. Let me see if I can find it. With 100% certainty the visual appeal is very different with the same settings on the Prime vs Hydra though.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely did not know that about the 2 finger thing, will have to check that out, but I know I read that the reason you get a different visual appeal is the LED configuration. Let me see if I can find it. With 100% certainty the visual appeal is very different with the same settings on the Prime vs Hydra though.
I would be interested in seeing that info. The Pucks are identical, so I don't see how they have a different visual appeal. Unless there is something in the way the colors mix having 2 pucks in close proximity. Physically they are the same.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 x hydra 26’s on my Red Sea S650 and I have 4 x XR30 G4 Pro’s on my new large system which are up and running and control via Neptune Apex

I can only give you a comparison between these 2 types and the XR30’s are way better, infact no comparison. Admittedly the XR30’s are bigger but......

waywardreefer

Discipline Equals Freedom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Consistency! I like it. I know people are in a tizzy about the new AI lights dropping...seemingly out of nowhere...and rightfully so for those who bought lights on Sunday only to wake up to them being in sale Monday with new models to choose from....but all things aside...

AI has been pumping out great products for many years....I'm a huge believer in consistency/stability...I'm happy to see you at least got them dialed in and haven't had to play around with settings...BRS has pumped out several great vids on closely mirroring the AB settings...

I recently grabbed a couple Hydra 26's during the sale that I'll be using win conjunction with T5 and diffusers from 3Dreefing...once up and running...I'll be trying to mirror the AB settings as close as possible and hope that what I lose from diffusers is made up by the T5s.

As for Radions....I had an older Gen3 I won at a club raffle years ago when they came out...great lights...I just wish I didn't have to buy a separate network appliance or controller to modify them wirelessly (controlled those with an old Apex at the time)....

Final nod to AI...the ability to overdrive specific channels...

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI posts the comparison directly on their website. Per the comparison, an AI Hydra 32 marginally out performs a Radion XR15 G4 Pro.

1327644A-14E9-4EA1-BB97-F5C3D69236A9.png

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.5%
Back