New algae control product on the market....Vibrant

Mass_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried this for algae control? They have yet to disclose the mechanisms at work here. I reached out to them on Facebook:

http://www.uwcmn.com/#!shop-for-vibrant/eq98m

Me: Would this work for Dino's?

"Hi Tim, yes, works quickly on dinos :)"

Me: Any ill effects noted on sps?

"Hi Tim, does not affect even the most sensitive sps corals :)"

Me: I'm interested but I'm not exactly sold yet. What exactly is in this product? I understand if it is proprietary but is it a chemical or biological mechanism at work here?

"Hi Tim, we will be disclosing that info when our patent clears, along with how it exactly works. We totally understand that that makes some aquarist uneasy and will not use the product until they know exactly what it is. We are hoping to be able to release all the information soon :)"

Thoughts?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it carries zero atomic weight until it can be shown in a thread where ten or more algae tanks are fixed with it, plus sustainment follow up. its working against that standard among other methods, welcome new algae treatment
high bar to pass/

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sales wording directly implies a sludge digestor and the item would not be harmful to use and give them money most likely. it can not beat any known method nor change any known maintenance regimen to lesser work with better output, ill open with that claim. I wish the product distributors for the various retail items would post and review them for open input.

Just like you are asking here, I asked in the planted forums about the expensive nature amano fertilizers, who wouldn't want his tank

was promptly and judiciously routed to the gla dry doser website that any internet posting planted aquarist would use at 1/8th the cost, I think retail stuff is similar like that among fw sw

OP
OP
Mass_Reefer

Mass_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No denying the big claims. There is usually a big give and take with products such as this. They usually take more than is given....

OP
OP
Mass_Reefer

Mass_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may take the plunge and order some for a lingering minor Dino issue that I'm having. If I do I'll post all information to this thread.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dino is pretty hit and miss across our best options, regarding dino I like to see things tested and added

among dino cure threads people are getting roughly 20% chances of fix regardless of the mode chosen the most popular of all and rather well tested I have to admit is dinoxal, not peroxide.

OP
OP
Mass_Reefer

Mass_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look into dinoxal for sure. I'm in a quandary right now... Tank 6mos old

More nutrients= happy coral/livestock=Dino bloom

Less nutrients=unhappy coral/livestock=Dino's at bay

Dino's showed up after eradicating brown algae (possible lyngbya)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snake oil.
I emailed to ask what it was. Chem or bac or what.
4 emails back and forth and it was "cant say sorry"
So we don't now what it is.
Would you put that in your tank?

OP
OP
Mass_Reefer

Mass_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also note I have no other algae in tank. The only other competition is a few small spots of cyano

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An observation on dinos. Of all the algae cyano etc I have had, big and i mean BIG or small. I have never had dinos except short term in a new tank.

OP
OP
Mass_Reefer

Mass_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expressed that to them as well. Pretty risky bringing a "fix all" product to market without disclosing what it is!

OP
OP
Mass_Reefer

Mass_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have been lingering for close to a month now. How long were they around for you?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to remember kinda. The first 8 or 9 months in a fresh fresh build I ignore and just clean if that makes sense. IE I dont take anything weird seriously in that time because its going to go away. Because they all did.
theory on cyano dino sources are weird. Po or no from rock etc and all rock are different.
Id say if it lingers 4 8 weeks worry and chenge out your foods or filtration. But you have to wait. results wont appear IME for a week or two. I can happen sooner and thats a bonus but rare IME.
Science experiments like the petri dishes full of fish we have take time to grow. So keep a stable environment ALL around and one by one remove a factor to trouble shoot. If you stop feeding shellfish and start gfo and it goes away, what was the cure, the shell fish or gfo?

And in new tanks Blooms are so common because theres a large source of something it likes, that gets eaten up, and the population shrinks, to nothing or to an equilibrium that the ecosystem can handle.

OP
OP
Mass_Reefer

Mass_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes perfect sense. I have a nutrient imbalance that is taking place. I started with 90% dry rock given a good friends bad experience with live rock (mantis shrimp, aptasia, amphipods). I have a gfo reactor on standby in case the dry rock starts leaching considerable phosphate. I'll just monitor the issue and cut back slightly on feedings and continue my OCD husbandry!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fun flat out busting products and claims on the internet. One doesn't even have to make ill statements against a company, ask for proof what filters through is worth considering. I wouldn't even mind keeping trade secrets. If someone put peroxide in a clear bottle no disclosure with three drops green food coloring as mask, and labeled it reef genie and demonstrated it to me in 1999, I would have bought nine cases

ImageX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted for proof on there and got attacked by 2 idiots on their fb site.. telling me i'm tankless troll and all that... All I asked em was where is the proof a progress log or anything instead of blurting out this is the best and it's amazing and awesome.. these jerks got me hot tonite... and I was willing to wait for progress pics from other people that supposedly got samples.. even though I don't recall anyone on there even receiving the samples.. this company is a joke... I don't even care if it is legit now.. Do not buy from a company for one can't state ingredients.. 2 says its the best without solid proof.. 3 has people that use it supposedly and attack potiential hobbyist and business owners such as myself.. company is a joke as far as i'm concerned..

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my take it may work in the short term but is no FIX for a long term problem. When you have algae issues your input of nutrients is greater that the output of organics. That is what you need to focus on and bring your tank into balance with. Adding chemicals to your tank does not fix a problem just abates it.
I found an algae scrubber and skimmer and watching the amount of food and additives I put into my tank solves the issue.

furam28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another snake oil peddler in the market. What's new? These guys claim on their FB page that they've been using this stuff on their tanks for years and that's how they keep their tanks clean. BS. They are actually an aquarium maintenance company in MN and they maintain a lot of really nice aquariums for clients. But guess what: its routine maintenance: water changes, ULNS, manual cleaning, GFO, biopellets... Here's a post about one of their client tanks that they posted a year ago: http://www.tcmas.org/v4/forums/show...ions-Inc-Anthias-dancing-in-the-Current-Video (sorry not sure if I'm allowed to link to other forums here. If so, please remove link). Scroll down to their last post. They detail the maintenance on this tank. Guess what. No confidential magic potion here. They do Prodibio.

VigalanteSaint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was super skeptical but the expert at my LFS recommended it and said it has helped his clients emmensly. I was having such a bad algae breakout I was scrubbing my glass 2-3 times a day and doing massive water changes 2-3 times per week. I used this stuff and overnight my tank completely cleared up. Stilll have some algae on my rocks and some on the sand bed but holy crap did this stuff work.

Klaw2474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not having the best of luck with this product, I haven't really seen any improvements after about 3 full weeks of dosing.

I had a partial tank crash several months ago and took down my zeovit system. Afterwards I started getting bubble algae, hair algae, bryopsis (I think it is anyways. It gets very, very thick almost like a turf, but has always been easy to pull off the rock) and some grape caulerpa growing in the tank.

I have a 125g display w/40g sump (probably around 125g total water) and have have been dosing 15ml twice a week (thursday and mondays). The last dosing (4 days ago) I did 30ml because I wasn't seeing any results, and still haven't.

Any recommendations on how to proceed?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back