New and 1st Addition! Are my pumps too strong for this clown?

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added this little guy ( I would say 1.25" length) and I have a Sicce 1.0 as a return and a Jaebo SLW-1o on random Speed 1, dial set at Noon.

I just want to make sure I'm not maken this lil guy push too hard. Can someone let me know if this is normal behavior for a new clownfish?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi how is he doing now? lil more relaxed settling in?
@Jay Hemdal ?

PeterZammetti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added this little guy ( I would say 1.25" length) and I have a Sicce 1.0 as a return and a Jaebo SLW-1o on random Speed 1, dial set at Noon.

I just want to make sure I'm not maken this lil guy push too hard. Can someone let me know if this is normal behavior for a new clownfish?

Thanks!!

He is fine. I run 2 Nero 5's on a 30 gallon and keep them at 50% (bare in mind 1 nero can do a 75 gallon tank lol)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!!

That's more flow than I'd like to see for a clownfish. Can you cut the flow back while it is getting adjusted to the tank? Be sure that the water flow doesn't strip the food by it too fast for it to eat.

Jay

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's more flow than I'd like to see for a clownfish. Can you cut the flow back while it is getting adjusted to the tank? Be sure that the water flow doesn't strip the food by it too fast for it to eat.

Jay
Jay, thank you so much for replying. Cheeto (wife named him that) seems to be ok and now swims around the tank if I ignore him long enough (lol)
BTW: Cheeto is the only thing I have in the tank. No other fish, corals, inverts, etc.

I have the SLW-10 set to 2 as I thought he was doing ok. I can and will turn off the powerhead if it's the right thing to do.

Some other options:
1. Have the SLW on for X hours, off for X hours
2. Go into speed 1 and Power on Slow (knob to the far right)
3. Turn it off completely for X days

I do have a question regarding night mode. Should I be using that?

Thank you in advance!!!

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi how is he doing now? lil more relaxed settling in?
@Jay Hemdal ?
He actually is!

After some time he was swimming to the surface. This morning I walked into the room and he was swimming at the bottom but near the bulkhead (is that what we call the rear false wall separating the sump on an AIO?)

He seems to come back to that front right corner (nearest to my desk seat) when I'm there. I assume (hope) he's looking for attention or food.

BTW thank you so much for adding Jay to help! Very thoughtful and kind.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
good to hear,try feeding tiny portions few times a day until sure is eating,very nice clown BTW.. :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, thank you so much for replying. Cheeto (wife named him that) seems to be ok and now swims around the tank if I ignore him long enough (lol)
BTW: Cheeto is the only thing I have in the tank. No other fish, corals, inverts, etc.

I have the SLW-10 set to 2 as I thought he was doing ok. I can and will turn off the powerhead if it's the right thing to do.

Some other options:
1. Have the SLW on for X hours, off for X hours
2. Go into speed 1 and Power on Slow (knob to the far right)
3. Turn it off completely for X days

I do have a question regarding night mode. Should I be using that?

Thank you in advance!!!
As long as there is some other form of aeration in the tank, in the absence of a sea anemone, I have to question the need for a power head at all. A clownfish by itself won’t gain any benefit, unless it is helping to aerate the water.
Jay

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as there is some other form of aeration in the tank, in the absence of a sea anemone, I have to question the need for a power head at all. A clownfish by itself won’t gain any benefit, unless it is helping to aerate the water.
Jay
I added the powerhead for corals to come. I plan on having some sticks on two branches closest to the bulkhead where the power head is located.

I just wanted some good flow to suspend any detritus for now. So your vote is off.. till needed.

Back