New and have SO MANY QUESTIONS

Thatmeganchickk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
Ive been in love with the idea of a saltwater tank for years but never really had the extra money to invest and start one... and then the universe gave me one! My mom (a realtor) had a past client that had an established tank he wanted to give away (for free!) so she told him I was probably interested and three days later I had a saltwater tank in my house! The tank has a natural filtration system, tons of live rock, 2 fish (clownfish and 6 line wrasse), a few crabs, an elephant slug, and about 10 tiny snails that just showed up today.
the previous owner went over the basics as far as how the tank works, how often to feed the fish, and how to test the specific gravity of the water... but I have more questions.
1. Are the baby snails ok? The internet makes me think they are colonista snails but I just have no idea where they would have come from - and shouldn’t the wrasse be eating them?
2. How safe is it to make my own water with tap water and the liquid additive? I feel more comfortable getting RO and saltwater but my LFS is closed Mondays and Tuesdays andI’d hate to be in a bind.
3. I really want predator type fish like sharks, rays, and eels. One of my LFS sells baby rays and sharks and they said I could have them in the tank until they get bigger and then I’d have to rehome them... is this ok to do or will it cause them and my current fish stress?
4. If I get a baby ray or shark, they like to have more sand to shift around in but my tank is full of live rock - I’d like to stack some but can I also remove smaller pieces? Would that be something a fish store would buy off of me or ..?
5. What are some major things I need to be looking out for?
6. I’ve noticed very small white dots on the back of the tank, what are these? (Pictured below)
7. I’ve also notice black glossy egg looking things on the live rock - is this bubble algae or something else? My phone would let me get a good photo of it.
Im attaching a few photos of the tank that I took this evening - does the coral look unhappy to you or am I just imagining issues?

Thanks in advance for all your help! I really do want to learn as much as possible to have a successful experience with this new hobby and I appreciate all of you for sharing your knowledge!
8C56A8FD-DF17-4A70-93D4-59F8D03B1CD9.jpeg
8C56A8FD-DF17-4A70-93D4-59F8D03B1CD9.jpeg
9E72B21D-543C-4A32-B249-37C93182B8D6.jpeg
BE99407A-4DC2-4647-B0F6-342E6C6E0E66.jpeg

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I just got an established tank as well, not for free though. Getting an established tank can have it's challenges but new tanks do as well.

Don't worry about your corals right away. Everything is in shock. Get the flow going how you want it and leave it there. The trick is to let everything settle down. Lots of changes can harm the process.

Looks like mostly soft corals? Those are way easier than SPS. They tolerate less than perfect water.

I'd say the top things to get straight right away are:
Flow
Filtration
Basic water parameters (don't worry about calcium, magnesium, etc for now)
Temp
Water changes (I'd recommend 2 10% water changes a week for the 1st few weeks. Helps keep the parameters in check)

My advise is to avoid tap water at all costs. Just get some 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot or similar and keep a few on hand. Get saltwater and some RO for top offs. When toping off the water you should not use saltwater or you will raise your salinity too high.

You are going to go through a mini cycle. No way around it. You'll probably have some outbreaks of algae. All normal. Don't freak out! There are many, many threads on here about how to deal with algae. But don't go crazy with all kinds of treatments. Let the tank settle down first.

Be patient. Let everything settle down. Get used to testing the water, husbandry, etc. Spend time getting to know your tank. Enjoy feeding the fish.

You do not need to do anything at the moment to plan for future fish, etc. Get this tank thriving and then make changes slowly. Gives you plenty of time to do your research.

Snails, etc can hide Very well in the rock. They are most likely good guys. A photo would help with id.

It also really helps if you give more information about your tank. How many gallons? A sump? What type of filtration system? Refugium? Also list your current parameters. Then people can give you more precise answers.

Last edited:

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to the forum.

What size tank is that? Did the LFS say they would take the sharks and rays back for store credit? I hate to be a downer but I don't think I would do it.

Tap water is usually a no, though it could be used in an emergency.

Snails are cool and helpful.

Do those white dots move around. I can't really make them out.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI. My newest tank before it was moved (looks ok in the pic but it had been really neglected) The middle pic.

My tank after set up in my house The top pic

My tank 2 weeks later. The bottom pic

Haven’t taken a pic in the last week but it’s much better.

They get uglier before they get prettier. Lol

388D78DB-32A1-48E2-A716-8BA390F90D04.jpeg 3D5DB837-0154-4E0D-8A5B-49911AB0780A.jpeg 7B6C453A-BDC9-41CF-8C1B-4E03F86F395E.jpeg

OP
OP
Thatmeganchickk

Thatmeganchickk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also really helps if you give more information about your tank. How many gallons? A sump? What type of filtration system? Refugium? Also list your current parameters. Then people can give you more precise answers.
Thanks for the quick reply! I really don’t have the slightest idea what the correct answers to these questions are.. I’m going to attach photos I took of the “natural filter” portion and maybe someone will know based off the photos? I don’t even know how many gallons the tank is and I’d feel a bit stupid asking the previous owner. I’m probably going to end up measuring it with a tape measure and doing the math from there. What do you mean by parameters? I’ve had the tank about a week and a half and I’ve only tested the specific gravity of the water. Should I be doing more detailed testing right now?
thanks!
1EF1CB45-AF95-4FB1-BBDA-C10A418B7A96.jpeg
769DE299-3B7B-4815-862E-EC1B905E0C40.jpeg

OP
OP
Thatmeganchickk

Thatmeganchickk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to the forum.

What size tank is that? Did the LFS say they would take the sharks and rays back for store credit? I hate to be a downer but I don't think I would do it.

Tap water is usually a no, though it could be used in an emergency.

Snails are cool and helpful.

Do those white dots move around. I can't really make them out.
I’m not sure what size the tank is
They did not. They said I could let them grow and then sell them for more but I don’t like the idea of pets making someone a profit...
I went to a different fish store and got 2 5 gallon jugs of RO and one of saltwater so I should be good for a week or two!
I’m glad the snails are ok! The white dots do not move around and my clownfish seems to try and eat things off the filter thing they are on so maybe it’s eating the dots or something?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy

Looking at that clown in the tank Im going to say its 100 to 150 gallons.

3. I really want predator type fish like sharks, rays, and eels. One of my LFS sells baby rays and sharks and they said I could have them in the tank until they get bigger and then I’d have to rehome them... is this ok to do or will it cause them and my current fish stress?

I would not get these until you have had the tank for a while and do some research on what it takes to keep sharks, rays and eels healthy.

The white dots are nothing to worry about. Calcified and dead most likely.

Try to break off and suck out that bubble algae. Try not to pop it. Dont let it spread or float around the tank.

For the next few months try to establish feeding, cleaning and testing routines.
Learn how the equipment works. That natural filter is called a sump.
Ask us tons of questions and you will be fine.
The only stupid question is the one you didnt ask.

OP
OP
Thatmeganchickk

Thatmeganchickk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy

Looking at that clown in the tank Im going to say its 100 to 150 gallons.

I would not get these until you have had the tank for a while and do some research on what it takes to keep sharks, rays and eels healthy.

The white dots are nothing to worry about. Calcified and dead most likely.

Try to break off and suck out that bubble algae. Try not to pop it. Dont let it spread or float around the tank.

For the next few months try to establish feeding, cleaning and testing routines.
Learn how the equipment works. That natural filter is called a sump.
Ask us tons of questions and you will be fine.
The only stupid question is the one you didnt ask.
Hi,
Thanks for the info! I will definitely be asking tons and tons of questions! I always look for forums like these when I get a new pet/hobby because you can learn so much just by searching through the topics!
Im putting the predators on hold for a few months because I wouldn’t want anything to happen while the tank is still adjusting and I’m starting to really like my clown and I’d hate it if something ate him!
Can I leave the bubble algae there or will it take over the whole tank? It’s in a few spots here and there and I don’t mind it but I don’t want it causing issues either.
Thanks!

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well any pet store is selling pets for a profit so I'm not sure what to say to that. What I was getting at is you would need a plan to re-home those animals in a short period of time because they would outgrow that tank fairly quickly. Most of the sharks and rays available would need 180 to 300 gallons at full size. You could get away with maybe a 70 when they are young, but again that won't be sufficient for long.

Your white dots are most likely harmless. Perhaps snail eggs or spirorbid worms. I can't say for sure because my eyes aren't good enough to make them out.

As for parameters, pH, ammonia and nitrates are important for the fish. It looks like the tank is overgrown with Kenya trees. If you want to keep any stony corals you'll need to monitor calcium and alkalinity and phosphates, mostly.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharks need a rounded tank on the ends. It doesn't look like that tank is big enough for rays.
Read this to help with alot of your questions.

Edit: Welcome to R2R

Last edited:

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia and Nitrates are the most important to check. When both of those are at zero your tank is done cycling. Shouldn't be too long with an established tank.
pH is important but with regular water changes using saltwater from your LFS it shouldn't really vary too much.

So, if you are limited in the amount of tests you can purchase I'd get Ammonia and nitrates. However, if you are Really limited in what you can purchase you can just get Nitrates. When they are zero most likely your Ammonia and Nitrites are too.
Temp is important too. Thermometers are cheap.

The white spots are most likely calcium buildup if they are not moving. Can't be 100% positive of that but it's my guess. Not pretty but nothing to worry about.

Measure the height, width and length of your tank. I'm sure there are calculators on-line that can give you the approximate number of gallons. This does not include the water in your sump though.

Looks like you have a refugium? The place by the pump with plants. There are lots of threads on here about upkeep for one.

You will need a better clean up crew than just those snails. Again, lots of posts on here regarding the best inverts to buy. You can also buy certain fish that will help with that too.

OP
OP
Thatmeganchickk

Thatmeganchickk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well any pet store is selling pets for a profit so I'm not sure what to say to that. What I was getting at is you would need a plan to re-home those animals in a short period of time because they would outgrow that tank fairly quickly. Most of the sharks and rays available would need 180 to 300 gallons at full size. You could get away with maybe a 70 when they are young, but again that won't be sufficient for long.

Your white dots are most likely harmless. Perhaps snail eggs or spirorbid worms. I can't say for sure because my eyes aren't good enough to make them out.

As for parameters, pH, ammonia and nitrates are important for the fish. It looks like the tank is overgrown with Kenya trees. If you want to keep any stony corals you'll need to monitor calcium and alkalinity and phosphates, mostly.
I understand that’s what pet stores do. I meant I would not want to buy a pet with the intent to profit off of it in the future - I am not a pet store. Ideally, I’d like to keep any fish I get for it’s whole life but that was the option my LFS told me so I wanted outside opinions on how it would affect the fish.
Im assuming I’ll need test strips for those parameters? I’ll order some off of amazon. Thanks!

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree with this. Keeping stony corals is much more involved (and more expensive).
Whatever the white spots are I don't think you have to worry about them.

Hmmm, I don't know anything about sharks, etc. Are there dwarf ones? There are dwarf fish and eels. I'm not sure how easy sharks and rays are to keep. Certainly research that one before committing. FLSALTY is correct. All fish stores are in it for profit (although I understand what you are saying). Be careful with what they are willing to sell you. Many just want to make a sale and don't care if you have the right tank or not.

OP
OP
Thatmeganchickk

Thatmeganchickk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia and Nitrates are the most important to check. When both of those are at zero your tank is done cycling. Shouldn't be too long with an established tank.
pH is important but with regular water changes using saltwater from your LFS it shouldn't really vary too much.

So, if you are limited in the amount of tests you can purchase I'd get Ammonia and nitrates. However, if you are Really limited in what you can purchase you can just get Nitrates. When they are zero most likely your Ammonia and Nitrites are too.
Temp is important too. Thermometers are cheap.

The white spots are most likely calcium buildup if they are not moving. Can't be 100% positive of that but it's my guess. Not pretty but nothing to worry about.

Measure the height, width and length of your tank. I'm sure there are calculators on-line that can give you the approximate number of gallons. This does not include the water in your sump though.

Looks like you have a refugium? The place by the pump with plants. There are lots of threads on here about upkeep for one.

You will need a better clean up crew than just those snails. Again, lots of posts on here regarding the best inverts to buy. You can also buy certain fish that will help with that too.
Great, I’ll get tests for all those. I have a thermometer and it’s been stable the whole time, so I should be ok there.
According to the online calculator I used, it’s a 75 gallon tank but it seems bigger than the 75 gallon ones I’ve seen? Maybe I’m doing something wrong...?
Thanks, I’ll be sure to check out those threads!

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that’s what pet stores do. I meant I would not want to buy a pet with the intent to profit off of it in the future - I am not a pet store. Ideally, I’d like to keep any fish I get for it’s whole life but that was the option my LFS told me so I wanted outside opinions on how it would affect the fish.
Im assuming I’ll need test strips for those parameters? I’ll order some off of amazon. Thanks!

You are better off not getting the test strips. They're not all that accurate.

IMO the best test kit for Nitrates is Nyos Look up Bulk Reef Supply on YouTube. Very informative videos. I can't answer about the kits for other parameters because I've converted to mostly Hanna checkers and they are pretty expensive.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.... few things, if I can be blunt:

1) if it is > 40g tank or so, which it absolutely looks like...... you will 100% want to invest in a RODI unit of your own. Look up “4-stage RODI buddy” on amazon, etc. less than $100

2) take a picture of the lights, someone will let you know , but whatever this guy had running obviously grows coral.

3). forget sharks/rays. Bad idea with the rockwork you have and tank is too small by a LOT.

All is not lost!!!!! Your tank, once you put a nice tight lid on it, will be fine to house most any eel for their entire life...... but rays/sharks are a no-go.

Again.... welcome! Regular water-changes should keep the coral you have doing fine, but with that said, you need to figure out how much water is in it to know how much to change, and also you will want that RODI unit and maybe invest in a brute can to store it.

OP
OP
Thatmeganchickk

Thatmeganchickk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are better off not getting the test strips. They're not all that accurate.

IMO the best test kit for Nitrates is Nyos Look up Bulk Reef Supply on YouTube. Very informative videos. I can't answer about the kits for other parameters because I've converted to mostly Hanna checkers and they are pretty expensive.
I just called my LFS to see if they carried any kits and they told me to bring in a water bottle of my tank water and they would do a full test on it for me while they wait to get more kits ordered. So I should know the parameters Sunday!
Thanks again for all the info! Sorry I have so many questions!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%

Back