Thatmeganchickk

Thatmeganchickk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.... few things, if I can be blunt:

1) if it is > 40g tank or so, which it absolutely looks like...... you will 100% want to invest in a RODI unit of your own. Look up “4-stage RODI buddy” on amazon, etc. less than $100

2) take a picture of the lights, someone will let you know , but whatever this guy had running obviously grows coral.

3). forget sharks/rays. Bad idea with the rockwork you have and tank is too small by a LOT.

All is not lost!!!!! Your tank, once you put a nice tight lid on it, will be fine to house most any eel for their entire life...... but rays/sharks are a no-go.

Again.... welcome! Regular water-changes should keep the coral you have doing fine, but with that said, you need to figure out how much water is in it to know how much to change, and also you will want that RODI unit and maybe invest in a brute can to store it.
Please be blunt! It’s the easiest way to get the info across!
Im definitely going to get one, I’ve already had to add about 15 gallons into it just this week.The tap water at my house is not really potable (I drink out of a Brita)... will that be an issue for the unit?
I’ll attach a photos of the lights!
Good to know eels are possible! Maybe if this tank goes smoothly for a year or so I’ll upgrade to something that could handle a ray or shark. This tank has a lid but it isn’t air right by any means - is that an issue? It basically rests on top but it’s sturdy so I can’t see a fish pushing it or making the 5 extra inches or air to clear it.
Thanks again!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20191112_193349_01.gif

Agree with not using tap this is the reason why.
2019-11-17_20.20.38.jpg
using tap for the last two years on my fowlr. (Fish only with live rock)

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please be blunt! It’s the easiest way to get the info across!
Im definitely going to get one, I’ve already had to add about 15 gallons into it just this week.The tap water at my house is not really potable (I drink out of a Brita)... will that be an issue for the unit?
I’ll attach a photos of the lights!
Good to know eels are possible! Maybe if this tank goes smoothly for a year or so I’ll upgrade to something that could handle a ray or shark. This tank has a lid but it isn’t air right by any means - is that an issue? It basically rests on top but it’s sturdy so I can’t see a fish pushing it or making the 5 extra inches or air to clear it.
Thanks again!

Doesn’t have to be crazy tight like it does for an octopus..... just a top

Honestly...... unless you are willing to spend $4k + on a 500g tank plus $3k+ more for filtration....... sharks/rays are. bad idea!

Edit: And Cat-sharks or Bamboo whatever....... those aren’t real sharks...... Black-tips etc or nothing! and you’ll want 1,000+ gallons

OP
OP
Thatmeganchickk

Thatmeganchickk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Honestly...... unless you are willing to spend $4k + on a 500g tank plus $3k+ more for filtration....... sharks/rays are. bad idea!
I’m going to hold out hope that I win the lottery and can have rays and sharks in my home one day! But until then, I’ll listen to all the wonderful advice I’ve gotten on here and stick to smaller guys (and some eels!)

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit: And Cat-sharks or Bamboo whatever....... those aren’t real sharks...... Black-tips etc or nothing! and you’ll want 1,000+ gallons
If they are ok with a bamboo or cat shark, a 200 gallon tank would probably be able to handle one. If you go for one of the petsmart ensembles, you could probably get the tank and stand for a few hundred. Rock and sand will then put you back another $500 dollars or so. Then the shark itself will be at least a hundred. For filtration, you’ll definitely want a sump, which could cost another couple hundred. Then a good quality protein skimmer for the big bioload would cost another several hundred. And then the cost of food and water changes will add up to a lot over time. A shark tank would be very expensive, even by reefing standards. I would stick with a snowflake or Hawaiian golden dwarf moray for now.

saan1wu4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**what I'm saying is based on reading through forums on the web, I don't have actual experience keeping corals.

Here is a link to a thread regarding what fishes are good for what type/size of tanks.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...for-your-tank-post-here-and-well-help.200605/

It's a long thread with a lot of info, you can post your questions to get specific answers as well. Again, it would help you get better answers if you mention the gallon size for your tank, the animals that are already in your tank

Well any pet store is selling pets for a profit so I'm not sure what to say to that. What I was getting at is you would need a plan to re-home those animals in a short period of time because they would outgrow that tank fairly quickly. Most of the sharks and rays available would need 180 to 300 gallons at full size. You could get away with maybe a 70 when they are young, but again that won't be sufficient for long.

Your white dots are most likely harmless. Perhaps snail eggs or spirorbid worms. I can't say for sure because my eyes aren't good enough to make them out.

As for parameters, pH, ammonia and nitrates are important for the fish. It looks like the tank is overgrown with Kenya trees. If you want to keep any stony corals you'll need to monitor calcium and alkalinity and phosphates, mostly.

Like flsalty have mentioned the tank seems to have a lot of kenya trees popping up everywhere. These things are beautiful but grows like a weed! If you plan to introduce other corals into your tank later on, I would start grooming it before you do. The general agreement for kenya trees is to keep them on a single rock or group them in one or two specific spots. You might have to go back and pluck out a few once in a while so it doesn't get out of hand.

I saw this video on youtube the other day.

It's about grooming soft corals. Hopefully it helps and can serve as a general guideline. Also: pay attention to safety precautions when handling corals! (wear gloves!)

saan1wu4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding carrying capacity:

You could also check out websites that sell fish to see what species is suitable for what size tank. Many of the sites will list the recommended parameters and minimum tank size for each species.
Liveaquaria.com is easy to navigate and have a lot of information.

But when looking at these numbers on the site, or any numbers people will mention, you have to remember that 1 Yellow Tang in a 100 gallon tank is a completely different story than 20 yellow tangs in a 100 gallon tank.

Good luck!! :)

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lids with eels are VERY important. Eels can be surprisingly strong, and can lift up unsecured lids. Make sure your lid is well secured and attached. They can also fit through incredibly small holes. Make sure there are NO openings in your lid. If you underestimate the importance of a lid, you WILL find a crispy eel on the floor one day.

Back