New and need help? Meet the Reef Squad and other useful groups to know.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi HunterW! I just logged in and seen your call for help. Yes, please let us know which post it was and one of us will be happy to help. I'm sure it was an oversight. If you can call us in the thread you need eyes on that will help us. I have gone through some of your posts without any luck finding it.

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was correct. I will try searching your posts.
Hi...in the interest of not wasting anyone's time, I can remember what I posted pretty much. Two of my rooms in my apt give me concern about a 92 gallon sw tank being in them. One has a 75" t.v. on top of a big fireplace..more worried about the t.v. than the electric fireplace... and the other has my home biz with my big embroidery machine. Will I have issues with salt creep? I can't replace that machine$$$$. Anyone know? I keep the machine covered but the t.v...not possible. Thx in advance. #reefsquad

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi HunterW! I just logged in and seen your call for help. Yes, please let us know which post it was and one of us will be happy to help. I'm sure it was an oversight. If you can call us in the thread you need eyes on that will help us. I have gone through some of your posts without any luck finding it.
Hi...I posted it as good as I remember. I don't expect alot as I will have to play it by ear but who knows. Thanks for help

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi...in the interest of not wasting anyone's time, I can remember what I posted pretty much. Two of my rooms in my apt give me concern about a 92 gallon sw tank being in them. One has a 75" t.v. on top of a big fireplace..more worried about the t.v. than the electric fireplace... and the other has my home biz with my big embroidery machine. Will I have issues with salt creep? I can't replace that machine$$$$. Anyone know? I keep the machine covered but the t.v...not possible. Thx in advance. #reefsquad
I’ve never had a salt creep issue on anything next to or around the tank, only on and within the tank itself. I have a very large TV etc

Is does however increase humidity so that’s something you may want to consider if you have expensive machinery around

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I’ve never had a salt creep issue on anything next to or around the tank, only on and within the tank itself. I have a very large TV etc

Is does however increase humidity so that’s something you may want to consider if you have expensive machinery around
Agree... Yep, think I will err on the side of caution and for giggles a dehumidifier is a bargain. Thank you SO much!!!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I promise to answer - and I will do that :). I agree with @SPR1968 . I have my 48" TV 2.5 m from my 80 gallon SW tank. I have had that TV for more than 5 years - nema problema with salt creep. However - the humidity can be a problem. The humidity in my livingroom hit 70 % once the last 3 months, normally it is around 50 - 60 %. However, I live at the west coast in Sweden - 1o km from the sea. Think Seattle and you will have a good picture :) In wintertime - we can have some problems with condensation on the windows if it is very cold outside. Never with things inside the room. However - if you works with fabrics - the humidity may be a problem for the fabrics - both too high and too low - I have both a sewing wife and daughter :) My daughter says that in factories that produce clothes they often rise the humidity because they use rather thin threads and they will burst if it is too dry.

To use a dehumidifier can rise the evaporation from the tank because lower room humidity will rise the concentration differences between the water (100 %) and the air (x %) - especially if you have fans blowing over the surface (in order to keep down the temperature of the tank) The way it works is that new dry air will be blown over the water surface - rise the evaporation - the evaporation demands energy - it will take it from the heat of the tank. If you use a dehumidifier - you maybe can control the temperature without a fan.

You can also use cover glasses - the disadvantage of this is that they need to be cleaned and they prevent all evaporation - you may get a temperature problem.

I hope that I with this answer compensate you for all of us missed your first post :)

Sincerely Lasse

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a 43” TV over a 20g tank for a long time. Never had any salt creep.

I know it’s got a lot less water volume than a 90g but the TV was right over the tank.
2AEB9F50-C2B2-4120-A5AF-8FB9F22C90F6.jpeg

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I promise to answer - and I will do that :). I agree with @SPR1968 . I have my 48" TV 2.5 m from my 80 gallon SW tank. I have had that TV for more than 5 years - nema problema with salt creep. However - the humidity can be a problem. The humidity in my livingroom hit 70 % once the last 3 months, normally it is around 50 - 60 %. However, I live at the west coast in Sweden - 1o km from the sea. Think Seattle and you will have a good picture :) In wintertime - we can have some problems with condensation on the windows if it is very cold outside. Never with things inside the room. However - if you works with fabrics - the humidity may be a problem for the fabrics - both too high and too low - I have both a sewing wife and daughter :) My daughter says that in factories that produce clothes they often rise the humidity because they use rather thin threads and they will burst if it is too dry.

To use a dehumidifier can rise the evaporation from the tank because lower room humidity will rise the concentration differences between the water (100 %) and the air (x %) - especially if you have fans blowing over the surface (in order to keep down the temperature of the tank) The way it works is that new dry air will be blown over the water surface - rise the evaporation - the evaporation demands energy - it will take it from the heat of the tank. If you use a dehumidifier - you maybe can control the temperature without a fan.

You can also use cover glasses - the disadvantage of this is that they need to be cleaned and they prevent all evaporation - you may get a temperature problem.

I hope that I with this answer compensate you for all of us missed your first post :)

Sincerely Lasse
You all are BEYOND wonderful. I both sew, embroider and heaven knows, many things. Your info has helped. I picked up my 15 gal column (used), came with fw from sh so will re-home them to a nearby school in August if not somewhere sooner. Their tank was a mess. Its an algae cube..former owner very ill. Anyhow..I am mildly disabled even though I am a active person. I was never supposed to walk ...I now bench press 30 lbs & ! Pics below...that 15 does NOT have the fish in them...won't ever again.
I will put my aquascape 'mockup' on a new build page tomorrow. I did this all by myselF.
I kept a 43” TV over a 20g tank for a long time. Never had any salt creep.

I know it’s got a lot less water volume than a 90g but the TV was right over the tank.
2AEB9F50-C2B2-4120-A5AF-8FB9F22C90F6.jpeg
GORGEOUS TANK!!! GREAT presentation of both items! Thank you very much!

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
Hello Lasse, I have to uae my smartphone til I do sutgery on my larher tablet. Hope you saw that I rhanked you mightily. I am so grateful ro you all here. From the U.S. a big thank you.
Hunter

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... It's almost as if the Reef Squad actually pays attention when the hashtag is used! ;):p
Hi Brew.
I’m having problems logging in. I only managed to send this by clicking on an email that REEF2REEF sent me.
When I tried to log in or reregister I got error message shown below. Hope you can advise.
Kind regards
Jim A

1CC49715-6E06-4E38-8501-BF4FC9F0063C.png D291BF9E-E8D3-41DE-8FDB-8FB1B7C60929.png

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Brew.
I’m having problems logging in. I only managed to send this by clicking on an email that REEF2REEF sent me.
When I tried to log in or reregister I got error message shown below. Hope you can advise.
Kind regards
Jim A

1CC49715-6E06-4E38-8501-BF4FC9F0063C.png D291BF9E-E8D3-41DE-8FDB-8FB1B7C60929.png

I'm sure others will fill in more details soon, but the app you appear to be using is no longer working. Please log on with your mobile browser or from a computer.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure others will fill in more details soon, but the app you appear to be using is no longer working. Please log on with your mobile browser or from a computer.

+1 the app is no longer supported.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called the squad and didn't get not ONE reply... unless I did it wrong...was I supposed to do this:
#reefsquad
?

I think the tags weren't working at some point. I think they fixed it though.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brew.
Kind regards
Jim A

Hi! The R2R app and tapatalk are no longer being supported.

You can view R2R through the mobile website. Honestly, I used to use the app but I feel like I can do so much more with the mobile site.

Stevel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's face it, this hobby can be challenging. We may be new to the hobby, we could be trying a method that is new to us, or maybe we are facing a problem that is new to us, but we can all use help and advice from time to time. If you find yourself in this situation, Reef2Reef might be able to help.

One way to get help is to call on the Reef Squad. The Reef Squad is a group of dedicated volunteers who help make Reef2Reef the special place we love. They are a diverse group that range from new reefers to people who have been in the hobby for 20+ years. They may be experts in coral, fish disease, controllers, inverts, plumbing, DIY, or just friendly people who help make R2R better. What they all have in common is that they enjoy helping people.

So how can you take advantage of this group of volunteers? You can call out to them by typing #Reefsquad along with your question or concern.

Are you interested in learning more about who is in the Reef Squad? You can find out about many of them here!

So we've touched on what the Reef Squad is but let's talk about what they are not. Most importantly, they are not the only source of useful information. We have a large number of very experienced members who can also offer fantastic advice. It could be a mistake to not listen to the advice from another member just because they are not on the Reef Squad.

The Reef Squad are also not forum moderators. We have a separate team that handles those responsibilities. . If you see a post that doesn't fit the family friendly nature of Reef2Reef please use the Report function under the post and bring it to the moderators attention. Or, if you see where someone went above and beyond in helping someone you can report that too. It doesn't need to be negative!

You can learn more about the Moderators here!

Maybe you would prefer trying to find someone in your area who can help you?
You can find more information about the local forum sections here.

Of course, Reef2Reef wouldn't be what it is without all of our members.
If you want to share more about yourself or see who else is using Reef2Reef we have a thread for that here!
Great idea guys
Now I have a question? I’m going to be setting up a 120 Gallon reef tank and with all the new tech on return pumps dc power what do you guys think is best for the buck for that size tank. I’m old school we used Iwaki’s but with this DC pumps that save on electricity are they as good ?
Steve

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back