New and struggling to provide for my babies...

MaraRavenous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone~! Many of my friends in the hobby have told me I should join here, and I often wish I did sooner. But here I finally am!

After inheriting my friend's 15 gallon nano when he moved, I became engrossed in the hobby. I have a fairly small collection of coral, but I adore them, though I won't pretend I'm having amazing success with them. A lot of parameters chasing, recovery work from the state the tank was in when I got it, and struggle with lighting has left me frazzled. Some of my coral are happy, others are in a constant state of difficulty!

I love my pets and want to do better for my coral... I do weekly water changes, test the water, and have sunk so much money into this hobby. I just want them to be happy :(

I especially love zoas and see everyone else with beautiful zoas with lots of heads, but mine are often half open or otherwise unhappy. The struggle is real x.x

I have a wall frogspawn that mostly does well, a highlighter goni that was struggling but is slowly recovering it seems, a small hammer that is slowly receding further and further, a bunch of zoas that have struggled for a while, two large rocks of palys that are pretty happy, an acan that is generally happy and has feeders extended, a GSP and xenia that do well but don't grow as fast as people often say theirs do, and a tiny baby fungia. I also have a healthy pair of clowns, a cleaner shrimp, and lots of other critters (hitchhikers and others).

I've stabilized my water changing schedule, cleaned up and reduced my feeding, dealt with my nitrate and phosphate issues, but still have struggle... I'm just not sure what to do next really. :(

IMG_1430.jpg

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Post all of the parameters you currently test and a full tank shot under white light. That will give people a better idea of the overall condition of your system. It is hard and even somewhat dangerous to give suggestions without a baseline to work from.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side and the community! As others have said it would help to know more about your tank. Start up a new thread in the "new to saltwater" section. Post all parameters, how long you've had the tank as well as how long your friend had it. How did you do the move (ex. tank drained everything removed and re-setup at your place or tank moved to your place fully setup), live rock or dry rock, a full tank shot helps to see where everything is located, your water change schedule, filtration, powerheads/no powerheads, sump/no sump. Post everything you can about your tank. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back