New and trying to stick frags on my rock

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive tried the epoxy stick that you moosh and place it on the rocks and place the frag on it. Ive tried using gel superglue but nothing sticks my plugs to my rocks. I have about a 70% chance that they dont hold and they fall off.
What are people using to mount these frag plugs to the rocks while under water? Ive just resorted to placing them carefully and hoping that they take hold before a crab or snail shove them off.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use holdfast epoxy with no issues

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epoxy putty and superglue gel together works well. Just put the superglue gel on the plug/frag, then a ball of putty, and then cover the ball of putty with more superglue gel.
The superglue allows the putty to stick to the frag and rock, while the putty forms to the shape to increase surface area for the glue. Or at least I think that's the logic, I just know for a fact that it works.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epoxy putty and superglue gel together works well. Just put the superglue gel on the plug/frag, then a ball of putty, and then cover the ball of putty with more superglue gel.
The superglue allows the putty to stick to the frag and rock, while the putty forms to the shape to increase surface area for the glue. Or at least I think that's the logic, I just know for a fact that it works.
What putty and superglue are you using? gorilla glue was terrible when I used it. Its almost like I put a coating of lube on the frag. It wouldnt hold its place.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use thick gel superglue. I put a large glob on the bottom then I place it on the rock. As I am placing it on the rock I pull it up and push it back several times. You can see the supergel strands starting pulling apart, which tells it is almost ready. Then I hold it on the rock for a few seconds and it will take hold.

Pete_the_Puma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone else mentioned I have found the easiest is the “sandwich” method:

Make sure you are using GEL superglue, like gorilla glue gel. I used the Epoxy from BRS that has coralline color.

- First a drop of superglue on the frag plug
- then a small ball of epoxy
- last a small drop of superglue gel on the other side of the epoxy.

you wanna squish the whole thing down on your rock and hold it in place for about a minute.

it took a lot of trial and error before I got this right, you are on par for the course.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What putty and superglue are you using? gorilla glue was terrible when I used it. Its almost like I put a coating of lube on the frag. It wouldnt hold its place.

Same as @homer1475 except I just use the cheap superglue gel from the dollar store. But any superglue gel and JB Waterweld should work well.

Pete_the_Puma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure it’s the superglue GEL!!

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all THICK gel super glue are the same. Gorilla and gluemasters fall apart in the water. The only consistent ones I have been able to get to work are the cheap ones from the dollar store and ones that specifically call out "coral glue". Yes it's more expensive, but not worth it to me destroying my frags testing these other glues. My fish almost glued it's mouth shut because the other glues fell apart under water and floated away.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still works the best for me, the 50 gram tube is the best value.
9C762C96-8833-4C62-9502-66F090AB245D.jpeg

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all THICK gel super glue are the same. Gorilla and gluemasters fall apart in the water. The only consistent ones I have been able to get to work are the cheap ones from the dollar store and ones that specifically call out "coral glue". Yes it's more expensive, but not worth it to me destroying my frags testing these other glues. My fish almost glued it's mouth shut because the other glues fell apart under water and floated away.
Exactly! I had used gorilla glue (came recommended on here) and it didnt hold at all once it hit the water. It was almost like slippery and it didnt hold in the least.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still works the best for me, the 50 gram tube is the best value.
9C762C96-8833-4C62-9502-66F090AB245D.jpeg
This is all I use now also. Only slightly more than buying a ton a tubes of the dollar store gel glue, but in my opinion works much better. Plus they give several extra tips in the package which is really useful.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the glue that I use and it's always worked well for me. And at only 50 cents per tube I usually don't even hassle with trying to keep any that is left in an opened tube.
Screenshot_20211012-112254_Chrome.jpg

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried gorilla superglue gel and it was a disaster.
Also want to add that I use a toothbrush and clean the area before attaching as well but nothing seems to want to stick.
Hmmm I've never tried the gorilla glue for mounting frags. I always use Loctites superglue gel and it's worked great so far.

Back