New angel fin issues

AutoBond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, need some treatment advice. I received this angel yesterday in the mail from an online seller. Fins are tattered and the tail missing part and tail is white and should be yellow/orange.

Little guy is in a 50 gallon quarantine tank was going to do Jay's quarantine procedure starting with copper, but thinking I may need to do bacterial treatment instead.

Tried feeding some mastik and pellet yesterday on arrival and would not eat. Thinking he was a victim of tank agression. Spoke to seller and he was in a tank with a few other captive bred angels and they had to remove one that was picking on others.

Should I do a treatment for bacterial and wait on copper? Wait to treat anything till he's eating first? Don't treat, clear up on it's own? Thanks

Screenshot_20220325-105933.png Screenshot_20220325-110011.png Screenshot_20220325-110023.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, need some treatment advice. I received this angel yesterday in the mail from an online seller. Fins are tattered and the tail missing part and tail is white and should be yellow/orange.

Little guy is in a 50 gallon quarantine tank was going to do Jay's quarantine procedure starting with copper, but thinking I may need to do bacterial treatment instead.

Tried feeding some mastik and pellet yesterday on arrival and would not eat. Thinking he was a victim of tank agression. Spoke to seller and he was in a tank with a few other captive bred angels and they had to remove one that was picking on others.

Should I do a treatment for bacterial and wait on copper? Wait to treat anything till he's eating first? Don't treat, clear up on it's own? Thanks

Screenshot_20220325-105933.png Screenshot_20220325-110011.png Screenshot_20220325-110023.png
Looks like a product of aggression but I’m leaning towards bacterial fin and tail rot
Are there any other occupants in with fish?

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s is bacterial! And pretty severe. Neoplex, kanaplex antibiotics will be best bet!

OP
OP
AutoBond

AutoBond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, thought that may be the case. Thanks for the observations. I can get either, would Kanaplex or Neoplex work best? Any tips for treating the tank to be aware of? Appreciate the help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow, that’s a shame. Definitely share these pics with the vendor. While this is probably bacterial fin rot accelerated by high bacteria counts in the shipping bag, I truly think this fish must have had some fin damage prior to shipment and that should have been screened for.
I agree, treat the fish with antibiotics first, then switch to copper. I prefer Neoplex, but any broad spectrum gram negative one will work.
Jay

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be honest I have had little success when they looked this bad! get vendor to make right! I have saved a few but when looked this bad percentage of success goes way down! If going to try as Jay suggested try Neoplex!

OP
OP
AutoBond

AutoBond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that’s a shame. Definitely share these pics with the vendor. While this is probably bacterial fin rot accelerated by high bacteria counts in the shipping bag, I truly think this fish must have had some fin damage prior to shipment and that should have been screened for.
I agree, treat the fish with antibiotics first, then switch to copper. I prefer Neoplex, but any broad spectrum gram negative one will work.
Thank you very much for taking a look. Will do. Fingers crossed it works. Just dose the directions on the Neoplex bottle?

OP
OP
AutoBond

AutoBond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be honest I have had little success when they looked this bad! get vendor to make right! I have saved a few but when looked this bad percentage of success goes way down! If going to try as Jay suggested try Neoplex!
Man, wish that wasn't true. Thanks for letting me know. Vender wasn't aware of it when I spoke to him about the damaged fins.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they eating anything at all? I agree with everyone else, they shouldn’t had shipped you the fish in such bad shape. Although I’ve brought back fish that looked worse than this is going to take feeding them heavy and I also like to mix the medicine in the food if they’re eating, you can bond it with the food they like adding the neoplex with focus, I do one spoon of each to a full cube of food and also soaking it for 20 minutes at least. Adding selcom also won’t hurt as you’ll need this fish immune system to stay strong.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for taking a look. Will do. Fingers crossed it works. Just dose the directions on the Neoplex bottle?
Yes, just monitor ammonia during the treatment.
Jay

OP
OP
AutoBond

AutoBond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they eating anything at all? I agree with everyone else, they shouldn’t had shipped you the fish in such bad shape. Although I’ve brought back fish that looked worse than this is going to take feeding them heavy and I also like to mix the medicine in the food if they’re eating, you can bond it with the food they like adding the neoplex with focus, I do one spoon of each to a full cube of food and also soaking it for 20 minutes at least. Adding selcom also won’t hurt as you’ll need this fish immune system to stay strong.
Not at the moment, just got the angel yesterday. Thanks for the feeding advice, I'll get on it and hopefully get a feeding response soon. So I can treat the water with neoplex and also add it to food for feeding, at the same time?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at the moment, just got the angel yesterday. Thanks for the feeding advice, I'll get on it and hopefully get a feeding response soon. So I can treat the water with neoplex and also add it to food for feeding, at the same time?
This is an external infection, so dose the water not the food.
Take a look at my medicated food article in the library section here - it explains why you can’t just soak food in medication and feed it to the fish - since there is no way to know how much medication the fish is actually getting…you could be over or under and never know it.
Jay

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they’re not eating then just feed the tank directly, once they start eating bond it with food as it will have a better effect working from within. I would also try giving them some nori sheets with garlic extract

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there! This is one of the fish I’ve rescued from petco and they were on sale. I didn’t care about the sale at all I just felt awful for the poor fish and nursed them back to full health

Attachments

• B079D15A-88EA-4758-8C08-04B7E570D893.jpeg
    B079D15A-88EA-4758-8C08-04B7E570D893.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 19
  • 4A7F2CDB-26F8-4ABF-95DD-20B15CE63E2B.jpeg
    4A7F2CDB-26F8-4ABF-95DD-20B15CE63E2B.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
AutoBond

AutoBond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an external infection, so dose the water not the food.
Take a look at my medicated food article in the library section here - it explains why you can’t just soak food in medication and feed it to the fish - since there is no way to know how much medication the fish is actually getting…you could be over or under and never know it.
J
Got it! Thanks for the clarification

OP
OP
AutoBond

AutoBond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there! This is one of the fish I’ve rescued from petco and they were on sale. I didn’t care about the sale at all I just felt awful for the poor fish and nursed them back to full health
Wow, nice going! What a difference. That's encouraging, thanks for sharing :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back