New Angelfish with a spot on the body?

reef_shark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just bought this new angelfish from LA and she's currently in QT. I noticed this spot on her side that looks like it's underneath the scales and appears to be a brown/rust color under different lighting. Sorry for the awful photos I was trying to get different views.

Any ideas? Parasite? Old bite mark? Discolored scale?

fish1.jpg
fish2.jpg

fish3.jpg

fish4.jpg

Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see, but a single small mark on a just-shipped fish isn't usually anything to worry about as long as the fish is symptom free in other respects; eating, not breathing heavily.

Jay

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't worry. Also, watch for the fish shaking its head. That would be a sign of flukes. A lot less harmless than velvet (rapid breathing). But, that could be other things as well.

Little black marks are usually a type of miner injury, a small scuff. Ran into a rock, a bite mark, a coral sting and other things I can't recall at the moment. Looks to be almost fully healed, if an injury. Looks can be deceiving.

I am trying to not to worry you, but I would also worry about uronema with angelfish. I don't know if there is a pre-treatment for it. So, do read into that. But, I have seen a friends bellus die to uronema. It is very heartbreaking.

GL beautiful fish!

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a swallowtail angelfish in QT in february 2020 that had a similar spot didn't turn out to be anything i still have the fish to this day

OP
OP
R

reef_shark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Sorry for the delayed response. The spot is still there and has grown a little. LA recommended I treat with Hydroplex so I am going to try that. to start. I'll update after treatment.

Back