New apex trident?

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed my apex trident, and my alk is showing higher than its. I test with hanna checker and hanna is showing me alk is 7.4 apex trident is 8.3. I didnt use the calibration solution yet as they recommend to run it for few days before using the solution. Any idea?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Let it run for a few days.
2. Throw out the calibration solution.
3. Re-test your alkalinity in a few days with your Hanna checkers or testing kits, then manually calibrate the Trident to the alkalinity/calcium/magnesium results you obtained. You will need to periodically re-calibrate every time you replace one of the reagent bottles.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why is it always the Trident is wrong and the Hanna is correct? I’ve seen plenty of false readings with Hanna (and other test kits.)

To say the calibration solution is wrong, you would need to test it with multiple kits and see if they line up. Until then, we’re just assuming one is right and one is wrong and we’re picking the right one based on what we WANT to be right.

I’ve replaced the reagents on my Trident multiple times and never calibrated it. The calcium and magnesium have been spot on from day one. The alkalinity has read 1dkh low compared to my Salifert kit but I’m not going to calibrate or freak about it. I just know it’s 1dkh off and run it accordingly. I’m not worried about the exact numbers but the trends.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have written about this issue plenty of times. Either it is the latest factory run or a programming change. This has been a reoccuring problem over the last few months. It is such a popular issue with Trident that they send you a three page email that boils down to: "live with the difference and do the mental math'.

Unfortunately, that is your choice. Live with it being xx higher than your hanna or return it. To date, mine has been wrong..but at least it has been consistently wrong (+0.6 dkh to my salifert and hanna)

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Let it run for a few days.
2. Throw out the calibration solution.
3. Re-test your alkalinity in a few days with your Hanna checkers or testing kits, then manually calibrate the Trident to the alkalinity/calcium/magnesium results you obtained. You will need to periodically re-calibrate every time you replace one of the reagent bottles.
Throw out the calibration solution? How come?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it always the Trident is wrong and the Hanna is correct? I’ve seen plenty of false readings with Hanna (and other test kits.)

To say the calibration solution is wrong, you would need to test it with multiple kits and see if they line up. Until then, we’re just assuming one is right and one is wrong and we’re picking the right one based on what we WANT to be right.

I’ve replaced the reagents on my Trident multiple times and never calibrated it. The calcium and magnesium have been spot on from day one. The alkalinity has read 1dkh low compared to my Salifert kit but I’m not going to calibrate or freak about it. I just know it’s 1dkh off and run it accordingly. I’m not worried about the exact numbers but the trends.
I've tested multiple Neptune calibration solutions with multiple test kits over a period of 6 months. They've always been inaccurate for me, so YMMV.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just hooked a new Trident up too and it was showing my Alk lower than I'd like. 7.1-7.3. I had been running 8.3-8.4 with a Hanna Checker.

I used up my Hanna Reagent and opened a new bottle and that bottle is testing 0.8 dKH lower than the previous bottle (closer to what Trident is running). Even Hanna has issues in my experience.

I did a dilution and checked it with an API alkalinity reagent and it looks like my Hanna was probably high as I got around 7.3-7.6 with the API kit.

The moral of the story is they all have a =/- accuracy range and there isn't a gold standard. I'm going to try to keep the Trident around 9 and adjust dosing accordingly. If it's actually 8 or 10, it doesn't really matter in my book.

I will say that once I calibrated it, the numbers did change a little bit. So let it run for the 48 hours per the instructions and then run the calibration and see where you are.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you REALLY want to be certain…

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you REALLY want to be certain…
The thing is i use tropic marin salt. And tropic marin mixes low 7 for alk thats how im sure.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The thing is i use tropic marin salt. And tropic marin mixes low 7 for alk thats how im sure.

Not always. My latest bucket returned these results: 8.3dkh (Salifert) 8.5dkh (Hanna) 7.51 (ICP)

ICP always comes back low compared to my other kits (Hanna, Salifert, and Red Sea)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question to the OP - did you read through the Trident 'get started' doc? I believe you must have because you noted the calibration bit. To summarize you do not calibrate until the Trident has been in operation for at least 48 hours.

What this more or less means is don't worry about the results and let it get used to your installation environment. While that is going on check a few things in preparation of calibration such as but not limited to:

Trident sample line placement
Dosing line placement
ATO line placement

With regards to your question no idea outside of waiting until you can calibrate the Trident to your environment. Tridet and Hanna or any other kit are not going to be exact to one another. Each has their own respected margin of error. One has to be the source of record and chasing results across test kits both automated and manual is going to drive you crazy.

One other thing. As soon as you are done calibrating cap and mark the date/time on your left over calibration solution. Store in a cool dry area. You can always use that in the Hanna kit if you want. But again you are jumping the gun until the unit is calibrated.

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up with test A failed. Opened it up the lines are not even twisted or anything. So i redid the test and it worked. dang
I had to prime the lines a couple of times before it started working perfectly. Then it took a few days for readings to become super consistent.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back