New Aquarist Who’s SO Excited To Be Here!

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Lol yeah, that’s what I’m getting from what I see online. Bettas are the “gateway fish” period and freshwater is the gateway to saltwater haha.

Great to meet you!
Quick glimpse into your future:
It starts here:
717C8A45-9852-44BD-B33E-328A09DFA91E.jpeg

Then you move here:
BD3CB916-655D-45A2-B517-E78D758FD70B.jpeg

Then you decide that’s not big enough:
89C2FEA8-37D5-4A43-9101-4479AE68918A.jpeg
You want more of a challenge so you start this:
A42161E2-6603-4282-B8F1-DF386EE57712.jpeg

Then you’re addicted to corals so you HAVE to upgrade:
72828184-5D75-40B8-B4AF-6AC39F3C2B81.jpeg
Don’t forget you need a QT tank or two similar one for coral and one for fish:
51A75C53-7DE0-46BC-94AB-5B734F778E2A.jpeg

Can’t wait to see that reef tank!!! I recommend going big for your first one:) Let me know if you ever have questions I’d love to help you get the first one started!

OP
OP
reeferthatsmokesreefer

reeferthatsmokesreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick glimpse into your future:
It starts here:
717C8A45-9852-44BD-B33E-328A09DFA91E.jpeg

Then you move here:
BD3CB916-655D-45A2-B517-E78D758FD70B.jpeg

Then you decide that’s not big enough:
89C2FEA8-37D5-4A43-9101-4479AE68918A.jpeg
You want more of a challenge so you start this:
A42161E2-6603-4282-B8F1-DF386EE57712.jpeg

Then you’re addicted to corals so you HAVE to upgrade:
72828184-5D75-40B8-B4AF-6AC39F3C2B81.jpeg
Don’t forget you need a QT tank or two similar one for coral and one for fish:
51A75C53-7DE0-46BC-94AB-5B734F778E2A.jpeg

Can’t wait to see that reef tank!!! I recommend going big for your first one:) Let me know if you ever have questions I’d love to help you get the first one started!

Hahaha! I love it. I'm so excited to get to that large reef tank!!! Thank you so much for your offer, I'll absolutely keep it in mind! I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me within a couple weeks.

I have 3 tanks (5.5 gal, 10 gal, 29 gal) already so I'm getting my experimentation in at an exponential rate lol! I think I'm going to get another 10 gal, have my bettas in the 10 gals w some cleanup crew, create a community tank in the 29 gallon, and use the 5.5 as a quarantine tank or a refugium (we'll see) for my reef tank!

My aunt has an old 50 gallon (approximately) in her storage I'll definitely be taking from her once I move. She also has a 100 gallon PRE-PLUMBED tank ;Happy that she currently has turtles in, once the turtles are relocated (hey if anyone wants a turtle hit me up, they're free!) I'll get that tank! It comes pre-plumbed with a nice stand and huge cabinet underneath! I can't wait, man. It's like the universe is shoving me into the hobby (at low cost) and quite frankly, I'm grateful, lol.

Right now I'm doing tons of research and trying to plan my equipment set up, and spending tons of time on ebay, craigslist and FB looking out for good used equipment.
I know I want to focus on the propagation of nems to begin with. I don't want to worry too much about making everything pretty in my display tank yet, I want to make some money first to support the hobby, and then be able to go all out on my display and really spend a fat chunk of time (and money) planning out my livestock and layout.

If you have any good tips for setting up anemone propagation tables (besides the BRS videos I've already watched lol) I'd l'd love to hear them! Or if there's a good system I could buy that's already set up for propagation? I know BRS had one in the past, but they don't make them anymore :( I was thinking of checking a local hydroponics store as well.

Thanks a bunch! I feel so welcomed already. What a great forum and great people!

Jojo92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

My name is Sable. I just started 3 tanks (yes all at once lol) this August. I now have 2 bettas and one plants only! When researching the hobby, I was pushed away from saltwater (as most new hobbyists seem to be) and I went freshwater. Feels like a mistake! But I know that I’ll be setting up a reef tank within the next 2 months and I’m so excited to see it thriving within the next year! I’m also super interested in building a temperate or cold water reef tank, since I am from Portland, Oregon and I’d love to build an Oregon themed tank.

I will be posting a build thread once I get moved into my new house next month :)

P.S. I know this site is supposed to be super family friendly, so please let me know if I should change my username! I can change it to “reeferthatlovesreefer” or “reeferthatlovesrfr” or something along those lines if my current handle is pushing lines! My current handle is how you will find me on Instagram and the likes, though.

Alright, y’all! Can’t wait to get to know everyone :)
I literally dove in lol. Had a nice paycheck over Friday like a month ago and walked into a fish store and bought everything... went salt water though lol. I’m loving the idea of a local Oregon tank though! Definitely want to see photos when you do!

OP
OP
reeferthatsmokesreefer

reeferthatsmokesreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, the user name is clever!

Cheers, and if you’re interested check out the new upload of this past Sunday, will show you why this platform is so amazing!

Thanks! I'll take a look at it, it is a very large website so I'm sure a few tips will definitely help me out :)

OP
OP
reeferthatsmokesreefer

reeferthatsmokesreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally dove in lol. Had a nice paycheck over Friday like a month ago and walked into a fish store and bought everything... went salt water though lol. I’m loving the idea of a local Oregon tank though! Definitely want to see photos when you do!

Haha that's dope! Yeah I'm super excited to start planning it, but I'm sure I won't be able to get to it for at least 6 months to a couple years even! I'm super excited though. As soon as I found out Oregon had coral on it's coastline I knew what I had to do, lol! Lots of research that needs to be done, though. I'll definitely keep you all updated!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 167 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.0%
Back