New Aquarium - Home Foundation Question

Ply4Kps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I am planning to purchase and install a Reefer XL 300 aquarium in my house in the next few months. Looking for thoughts on whether the aquarium may be too heavy for the foundation as-is:

Aquarium Specs: 80G total system volume, 36" long, 22" high, 22.6" wide
Aquarium Weight Estimate: 120 lbs tank/hardware + 670 lbs water + 50 lbs rock = 840 * 1.2 safety buffer = 1000 lbs

Home details: Built in 1940. Concrete perimeter foundation with post and footings in the crawlspace. Joists are 2x8 redwood with 14" spacing. Everything looks to be in good condition/no foundation issues.

Aquarium placement will be along the exterior corner of the house so that two sides are adjacent to the concrete perimeter. The long dimension will be perpendicular to the joists, so it should run across 3 joists. No other heavy items in this room or shared with the joists.

I'm pretty sure this should be sufficient, but I wanted to bounce it off this forum to see if there are any major objections or warnings. If this sounds like it's too heavy I would also consider a Reefer 250 or XL 200.

Thanks!

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is you’ll be just fine. Let’s see what others have to say.

Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
P

Ply4Kps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input! Feeling a lot more confident moving forward with the XL 300 now.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back