New Aquarium Nutrition Forum

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a question reefers plankton what are good brands to use I’ve always used seachem and looking for others recommendations

Check out our products. We supply highly concentrated, planktonic feeds. www.reefnutrition.com

What animals are you feeding? It will help me give you the proper recommendation. Or you can look at our feed chart: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-nutrition-product-feed-chart-2017.315520/

I look forward to hearing from you and sorry for the late response!

Chad

Jason_1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm a begginer when it comes to corals. In the past I've kept corals. But never been able to get any significant growth. This go around I'm keeping a sharp eye on the basic nitrogen cycle elements also alk cal an mag. This time around I have a better set of lights. The evergrow 165 watt led. They ramp up to 85%. So my lights over a 11 hour light cycle are over 50% power for 4 hours. Is this enough?
My tank don't seem to have a nutrient problem I do regular water changes an minimal feeding. Tank has 2 clowns an a sulfin tang.

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question regarding quantity. I know I am inclined to over feed then to underfeed but how much should they get?
The current inhabitants are:
about 6 inch blonde naso tang
About 5 inch dog faced puffer
about 4 inch harlequin tusk
About 3 inch flame angel
1 cleaner shrimp (I know but no one seems interested in eating him yet....)
I give them formula one pellets in the morning (how much should I throw in?) In the evenings they get frozen mysis (cube form-how many?) and either clams on the half shell or some frozen krill (how much?) I also try to keep Nori available most of the time.

rhance

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I purchased 2 anemones about 6 days ago from a local fish store and the guy there recommended them to me. I am a new to the reef hobby I have a 5 gal tank and have attempted to feed them trout, salmon, and scallops. They grabbed onto the trout but later released it and would not grab the salmon or scallops. What should I be feeding them and how?

lester lloyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ma need a larger tank and a more established system also try chopping the food to real small morsels so the anemone can digest it it spits it up because it’s to large to digest

Fishresponse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wondered the best way to feed ROE. I don’t have any real small fish that go after/love it but still add it part of my coral food “mix” that consists of several foods. After feeding with ROE, there seems to be a lot that just floats around that doesn’t get touched and likely ends up in the filter. Can anyone comment on their experiences and/or best practices?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wondered the best way to feed ROE. I don’t have any real small fish that go after/love it but still add it part of my coral food “mix” that consists of several foods. After feeding with ROE, there seems to be a lot that just floats around that doesn’t get touched and likely ends up in the filter. Can anyone comment on their experiences and/or best practices?

What you are seeing is common with small particle feeds. What are you adding to your mix? The same thing will happen to particles much smaller than our fish eggs. Things just drift around and get removed by the filter if the animals in the tank don't consume them in time. The best practice would be to reduce the amount that you are feeding. You can also try diluting a small amount in tank water and target feed. Another method is to feed the tank and then turn off the recirc pump for 30 minutes.

I hope some of these suggestions work for you.

Best,
Chad

Will Parsons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to announce that we have a new forum here at R2R for the specific discussion of Aquarium Nutrition for fish, coral, inverts, etc.

We are even more thrilled to have the well known Reed Mariculture and Reef Nutrition on the forums who will help answer questions and offer aquarium feeding solutions.

Reed Mariculture is the world's largest producer of marine microalgae concentrates. They supply algal feeds and zooplankton to universities, marine ornamental growers, and over 500 fish, shrimp, and shellfish hatcheries in 80+ countries around the world.

So what do you think? :)
I think that most fish will eat basically anything you offer. However, there is an slight exception... The exception is that an Oscar will eat any and everything I drop in the water (including my dangling finger tips! -or try to!) Anything BUT algae wafers for bottom dwellers! I think that is the ONLY food he will ignore!

Last edited:

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question on feeding. I have a Reefer 170 running full Triton and its a mixed reef, about half a dozen LPS and around 10 SPS frags which I plan to increase in count.

I only have 1 fish (a blenny) because had velvet outbreak with first 3 fish and this is only survivor and I haven't done the 6 week quarantine to rid the parasite in DT.

So my question is on feeding when have 0 fish or low number ie: 1

Currently this is what I am doing.

1 Small cube frozen reef frenzy mysis blend - Daily
3ml Red Sea Reef Energy A and 3 ml B - Daily
4 heaping provided small spoon of BRS Reef Chili - Daily - target feed LPS
LRS Grow and Color (LPS food) - Every other day - target feed LPS
Capful of live Phyto twice a week

DT and Sump have dozen small feeder shrimp and a good number of copapods.

My nitrate stays around 1-2 ppm
PO4 - > 0 and < 0.1

I really have just taken a scatter shot approach to this and not sure if my program is good or not.

My acros are growing but color is not great
My LPS seem to be suffering a bit (some recession) since SPS added (flow increased a lot and light has been ramping way up slowly (60 day acclimation) (currently at 90%))

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2019 was kind of the 7th level of Hades for us. We went from a couple successful tanks (1 -60gal bow) and (1 -45gal) to a single 180 gal with a double sump fuge total volume 220g water 7' long display tank.
We put in Tahitian moon sand ....the contaminated stuff. It took more than a year for us to understand why we could not keep anything alive (yes that is embarrassing /horrifying).
Due to this we kept changing equipment out thinking -this must be it- after too many fish deaths and enough money to have bought a car... Someone suggested a heavy metals test which was off the scale... Substrate was scooped out and aragonite was put in. FINALLY the first fish lived, then 4 more, and so on. We started following BRS on YouTube to decide on the best equipment for the money. There we came across the "reef chilli" video...I have been hooked ever since.
Now we feed all frozen and fresh foods with 5 drops of a multivitamin in each bowl. No slurry goes in without vitamins, phyto plankton, and a jellyfish food that I really like.
I wish they would eat flakes but now they are all spoiled.
My fish get fed better than the family...every day 2x per day I prep their food. I can photo what I use.
I am not claiming to be an expert and maybe there are things that could be improved or sub'ed out.
The fish are fat, clean and active. It did up my nitrates and phosphates, but water changes a pellet reactor and bacteria are hopefully going to get that in check. If I have to I will add more water changes.
I let the froZen stuff sit in the plankton liquids with the vitamins. Then when it is defrosted and not ice cold I add roe or the Tigger pods last.

1578080236482563216085393427156.jpg 15780804619892304302240567146925.jpg

Last edited:

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question on feeding. I have a Reefer 170 running full Triton and its a mixed reef, about half a dozen LPS and around 10 SPS frags which I plan to increase in count.

I only have 1 fish (a blenny) because had velvet outbreak with first 3 fish and this is only survivor and I haven't done the 6 week quarantine to rid the parasite in DT.

So my question is on feeding when have 0 fish or low number ie: 1

Currently this is what I am doing.

1 Small cube frozen reef frenzy mysis blend - Daily
3ml Red Sea Reef Energy A and 3 ml B - Daily
4 heaping provided small spoon of BRS Reef Chili - Daily - target feed LPS
LRS Grow and Color (LPS food) - Every other day - target feed LPS
Capful of live Phyto twice a week

DT and Sump have dozen small feeder shrimp and a good number of copapods.

My nitrate stays around 1-2 ppm
PO4 - > 0 and < 0.1

I really have just taken a scatter shot approach to this and not sure if my program is good or not.

My acros are growing but color is not great
My LPS seem to be suffering a bit (some recession) since SPS added (flow increased a lot and light has been ramping way up slowly (60 day acclimation) (currently at 90%))
This really sounds similar to our approach. So far so good for us. And we have a heavier load of fish.
1 majestic Angel
1coral beauty angel
1 reef squirrel fish
1 small yellow tang
1 pintail fairy wrasse
1 yellow coris wrasse
2 exquisite wrasse
3 lemon meringue wrasse
1 Peacock wrasse
1 lunare wrasse
5 tank raised oc clowns
3 electric damsels
1 cleaner wrasse blue streak
1 zebra bar goby
1 Midas blenny
1 diamond watchman goby
1 juv Harlequin tusk.
1 gbt anemone
1 pincushion urchin

Stevel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a juvenile emperor angel and he has developed ulcers on his nose. any idea what might be causing this ? water conditions a great. should I add vitachem to food ? I feed dr g's mysis and lrs frozen food. any help would be greatly appreciated. he eats like a champ and these spots don't seem to bother him ? hoping it is maybe he is changing to sub adult coloration ?

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a juvenile emperor angel and he has developed ulcers on his nose. any idea what might be causing this ? water conditions a great. should I add vitachem to food ? I feed dr g's mysis and lrs frozen food. any help would be greatly appreciated. he eats like a champ and these spots don't seem to bother him ? hoping it is maybe he is changing to sub adult coloration ?
This my be a dumb question, but are u giving him the nori sheets all day?
Mine looked a bit off on his head, kind of Milky. We changed the light, our par was really low (22 in some spots 70 in others) Mine is looking better and it's only been a couple days I also added an auto feeder with 3 tiny feedings when I'm at work. 1 turn of an eheim feeder. It has flakes, floating pellets, sinking mini pellets and tubifex worm cube pieces. I collect anything they didn't eat from the return grate and toss it when I come home.
I don't know if any of that might work for you but it seems to be working here. Mine is a majestic angel adult.
The Frozen food she / he likes is LRS reef frenzy but I only feed an inch of that per day with vitamins soaked into it (5drops).

Stevel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This my be a dumb question, but are u giving him the nori sheets all day?
Mine looked a bit off on his head, kind of Milky. We changed the light, our par was really low (22 in some spots 70 in others) Mine is looking better and it's only been a couple days I also added an auto feeder with 3 tiny feedings when I'm at work. 1 turn of an eheim feeder. It has flakes, floating pellets, sinking mini pellets and tubifex worm cube pieces. I collect anything they didn't eat from the return grate and toss it when I come home.
I don't know if any of that might work for you but it seems to be working here. Mine is a majestic angel adult.
The Frozen food she / he likes is LRS reef frenzy but I only feed an inch of that per day with vitamins soaked into it (5drops).
Thanks for information spoke with a few guys and they say it might be bacterial and to use dr Gs anti bacterial caveir so going to try that and add some vita chem to defrosted food.
Thanks again

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for information spoke with a few guys and they say it might be bacterial and to use dr Gs anti bacterial caveir so going to try that and add some vita chem to defrosted food.
Thanks again
I have the bacterial and anti parasitic. My angel would not eat it....let me know if yours does what you did :))

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to announce that we have a new forum here at R2R for the specific discussion of Aquarium Nutrition for fish, coral, inverts, etc.

We are even more thrilled to have the well known Reed Mariculture and Reef Nutrition on the forums who will help answer questions and offer aquarium feeding solutions.

Reed Mariculture is the world's largest producer of marine microalgae concentrates. They supply algal feeds and zooplankton to universities, marine ornamental growers, and over 500 fish, shrimp, and shellfish hatcheries in 80+ countries around the world.

So what do you think? :)
Nice, don't forget NPS forum. It's coming.....

Back