New at making my own water

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost didn’t ask this question out of fear it would be perceived as the obligatory “stupid question.” At risk of that...

Everyone on this forum had to have made their first barrel of salt water at some point in your journey? Right?

My water is reading 1.026 and has been holding that for a week now. I made 50 gallons and used FritzPRO R.P.M. Salt Mix Bag. There is a salt film covering the inside of my barrel and everything in it (a heater and a pump) I have cleaned it all off a few times now and it keeps coming back. It just won’t dissolve. Is that normal?

Also, I didn’t think about light getting in the barrel this week while I was messing with it. Light will let algae start growing in there... right?

Is this water okay to use, or should I just dump it, sterilize everything and start over?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your fine to use it. Many salts have anti-caking agents in them that precipitate out when let sit for awhile and cause a film in the barrels. I haven't used Fritz salt, so I'm not sure about whether it is common to have these precipitates, though.

I wouldn't worry about the light getting into the barrel. You should use the saltwater faster than allowing things to grow in it anyhow.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Fritz RPM for years and loved it (especially the price). When I started storing SW for my AWC system, I noticed the same thing you're experiencing. Not keeping the water constantly heated and circulating helped, but you'll likely still get considerable precipitation. Shouldn't cause any major issues. I switched to Brightwell Neomarine, and now get almost no precipitation in the reservoir in about 4 weeks time. It costs more, but I'm happy with it.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still new too and use fritz blue box, on my 3rd box I believe so take this with a grain of salt. hah!! I’ve found that I can’t add too much salt at once or it precipitates to the powerhead. I also mix it while it’s cold and don’t heat it until I’m going to use it. I don’t have a mixing station of any kind set up, it sits in a brute with a lid until I’m ready for it. Might help until you get a different salt mix.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, it only left a residue on my equipment when the heater was on or the first time I mixed salt and dumped in 5 or 6 cups at once.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so quick follow up... hopefully someone else might read this someday and not make the same mistake. : )

I bought a TDS meter. It came in today. For those of you who might not know what that is, TDS is “Total Dissolved Solids”. I measured my RODI water. It was supposed to read 0. Lol... yeah, it didn’t. It read 149 and I instantly ordered new canisters.

Moral of the story? I am using way more RODI water than I thought I was!

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I corrected all my mistakes. This thread was very helpful for me : )

I switched to the Salk mix shown below. TDS in my RODI is at zero. I mixed the salt without the heater going... water temp was approx 74f. I added salt slowly over an almost 2 hour period with the water circulating the whole time, without creating aeration. I stopped adding salt when I hit 1.025 and am now waiting 24 hours. Tonight when the 24 hours is complete, I’ll turn the heater on and bring the temp up to 78f and test the salinity again. I am planning on bringing the salt up to 1.026 at that point.

If I had a little salt today to get to my salinity target, do i have to wait another 24 hours to use it?
A25D64AE-0F4B-4460-9769-A6FBFF0E6EE3.jpeg

Last edited:

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so quick follow up... hopefully someone else might read this someday and not make the same mistake. : )

I bought a TDS meter. It came in today. For those of you who might not know what that is, TDS is “Total Dissolved Solids”. I measured my RODI water. It was supposed to read 0. Lol... yeah, it didn’t. It read 149 and I instantly ordered new canisters.

Moral of the story? I am using way more RODI water than I thought I was!
You should measure tds when you are making the water only. It changes over time. I don't know why, but thats what it does

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should measure tds when you are making the water only. It changes over time. I don't know why, but thats what it does
I watched it like a hawk yesterday : ) And took readings out of the barrel itself several times over a few hours while the water was circulating. It stayed at zero.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back