NJTaxMan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I won one of these in the give away contest and it has been rock solid and I love it. My only REAL complaint about it is that it the assembly instructions were tough to follow. Outside of this minor, one time annoyance...I am over the moon happy!! Its a tank

NJTaxMan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Ok, I have my Plank setup with my GHL Profilux 4, and I didn't see it covered in here, so I'm going to do a quick guide. This is assuming you know the basics of using the timer features on the profilux. It's really not hard at all, just setting timer modes for the mixing pump and feeding motors, you can easily integrate a feed pause for your circulation pumps as well using this setup method. For full control you need 2 or 3 channels available on your powerbar, but for basic control you can get away with just a single channel for the feed motor and leave the mixing pump running continually.

You need to set up TWO timers inside the 'Processes' tab.

Timer 1 (or another timer setting of your choice): This controls your mixing pump on the plank, and alternatively can also control your circulation pumps if you want them powered down.

In the 'Switch Mode' tab, set it as a normal timer, and put your description name in there as well.

In the 'Schedule' block, have an appropriate start and end time. You can add multiple timeframes in this timer if you want to feed multiple times a day. I have mine set up at a single time right now. ON at 5:00pm and OFF at 5:15pm.

Timer 2 (or another timer setting of your choice): This controls your "Keg" feeder motor to actually dispense food.

In the "Switch Mode" tab, set it as a "Short" timer. Also add your description name in the switch mode tab. Having it set for "Short" allows you to have the timer on for seconds as opposed to minutes. I have mine coming on at 5:05pm for 30 seconds in this example. This allows time for the gyre to stop, the mixer to start, and fish to recognize the upcoming feeding.

Increasing or decreasing the duration in Timer 2 will regulate the amount of food being dispensed. This is going to be very different for each of us, so I highly recommend you measure a few feeding cycles to make sure the time duration of this motor is correct for your feeding amount.

Like timer 1, in timer 2 you will also potentially set multiple timeframes for multiple feeding events during the day.

Switch Channel: Mixing and Circulation Pumps

Whichever channel you have your plank mixing pump on, set that channel function to "Timer 1", with invert not highlighted. This will make your plank mixing pump turn ON during the times you programmed into "Timer 1".

I have my Gyre pump also set to "Timer 1", but with the invert highlighted, meaning it will turn OFF during the times programmed into "Timer 1".

Switch Channel: Plank Feeding Motor:

The channel with your plank feeding motor gets set to "Timer 2", with invert turned off. This will activate your feeding motor at the time indicated in "Timer 2", for the duration set in that timer.
I just bought an amazon splitter. Those timers are too big for most power bars.

ctenophore

Avast Justin
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I won one of these in the give away contest and it has been rock solid and I love it. My only REAL complaint about it is that it the assembly instructions were tough to follow. Outside of this minor, one time annoyance...I am over the moon happy!! Its a tank
I'm glad you like it, assembly instructions aside! If you'd be willing to give some feedback on what was confusing, I'd appreciate it very much- I'm working on some assembly manual updates, as well as smart wifi plug control instructions. Just send any recommendations to [email protected]. Thank you!

ctenophore

Avast Justin
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I've had my Plank for 6 months now. It works perfectly and I love it. Fish are so happy and healthy.

I have noticed that some food gets stuck in the tube chamber. This food is usually larger or lighter food. To keep it from becoming a phosphate and nitrate factory I just pour some tank water in the tube a couple times a week. This flushes the tube and cleans all the parts out well.

LOVE THIS FEEDER! Spend the extra money and get this feeder! Your fish deserve it!
Hi Kevin,

Just curious, do you use the little brush that comes with it? I use mine, so I've been including one with every Plank. I haven't noticed food buildup in mine, but I've been using only Reef Jerky for the past few years. That tends to flush through pretty cleanly. Feel free to send pics of the buildup before you clean it if you think about it- it's always helpful to see what's going on with them "out in the wild". Thanks for the compliments and feedback!

NJTaxMan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'm glad you like it, assembly instructions aside! If you'd be willing to give some feedback on what was confusing, I'd appreciate it very much- I'm working on some assembly manual updates, as well as smart wifi plug control instructions. Just send any recommendations to [email protected]. Thank you!
honestly...the confusing part what how to assemble the lower piece that goes in the water. What is the top..how to get in the 'periscope' piece, how to insert the pump. Do I leave the set pin in or take it out. I kept putting things upside down and trying to put things on the wrong end. a couple of 'etches' to say A is the top, B is the bottom would make this a slam dunk.

Insert periscope Z side up into section A.

Last edited:

NJTaxMan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Instruction video was excellent. Wish I had that when I assembled. Looks like my only complaint with the avast system has been resolved. Kudos!!!

ctenophore

Avast Justin
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
My waterline fluctuates between 1.12-1.5" from the top of the rim. Is the standard mixing tube size still the recommended? Just wanted to check before placing an order.
Hi Sean,
Yes, the standard 6" tube will be fine for this. It's designed for 1-2" below the rim.

Do you have a build thread or tank journal here on R2R?

• YES and I keep it updated

Votes: 132 41.4%
  • YES but I don't keep it updated

Votes: 61 19.1%
  • NO but I want to create one

Votes: 86 27.0%
  • NO not interested in starting a build thread or journal

Votes: 30 9.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 3.1%
CWT Aquatics - Acrylic Sumps, Tanks, and More!