New Avast Marine Calcium Reactor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Adam sahut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this reactor is designed to run pressure inside the chamber ?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! It is fun to watch, too. Despite the white noise in the video (my sump and mad scientist laboratory is a bit chaotic) it's actually pretty quiet too. You can't really hear the rain.
Any idea on pricing yet? Thoughts on running it on small systems?

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea on pricing yet? Thoughts on running it on small systems?
Roughly the same as the Ozone reactor.

Depends on the definition of small :) I think below 40-50 gallons, it may be more cost effective to use 2-part or just kalk. The economy of scale kicks in once you start using gallons of 2-part, which offsets the capital expense of the hardware.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I have missed the info but how are you maintaining a constant effluent rate and ensure that the output line doesn't get clogged up overtime in 6-12 months ?

Does it use a continuous duty peristaltic pump and get rid of needle valves ?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really interesting reactor design! I cant imagine this being very efficient on its CO² consumption?
Never seen a design like that!

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two questions:

1) any updates on release date?

2) will there be a "YOU Built" option?
Not a sure thing, but we're aiming for holiday season. Which is pretty soon!

You Built will be coming typically 6 months to a year out, once we have worked out the little production kinks, to ensure that it is easily built by hobbyists. That said, since it is based on the ozone reactor design that is fairly mature at this point, I can see the You built option coming sooner.

Sorry if I have missed the info but how are you maintaining a constant effluent rate and ensure that the output line doesn't get clogged up overtime in 6-12 months ?

Does it use a continuous duty peristaltic pump and get rid of needle valves ?
We use a simple little drip emitter that will need blown out typically once a quarter (or more often, depending on how hard the reactor is run). No need for an expensive peri pump. We will supply a tiny DC feed pump that works well with the drip emitter. Definitely no needle valves as they are prone to clogging much quicker.

Really interesting reactor design! I cant imagine this being very efficient on its CO² consumption?
Never seen a design like that!
It's basically the same efficiency as any good standard reactor, in that it doesn't waste any CO2 through the effluent. It's certainly more space efficient, since more media can be dissolved in the smaller CO2-full chamber than a larger, water filled reactor.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You Built will be coming typically 6 months to a year out, once we have worked out the little production kinks, to ensure that it is easily built by hobbyists. That said, since it is based on the ozone reactor design that is fairly mature at this point, I can see the You built option coming sooner.

We use a simple little drip emitter that will need blown out typically once a quarter (or more often, depending on how hard the reactor is run). No need for an expensive peri pump. We will supply a tiny DC feed pump that works well with the drip emitter. Definitely no needle valves as they are prone to clogging much quicker.

It's basically the same efficiency as any good standard reactor, in that it doesn't waste any CO2 through the effluent. It's certainly more space efficient, since more media can be dissolved in the smaller CO2-full chamber than a larger, water filled reactor.

What's the dkh and ml/min of your effluent? have you tested it ?

Edit:I just figured a conventional design will all media submerged/being pumped through would have much more surface/acidic water contact area? IDK?

It's a really cool looking design, but is it really superior to conventional reactor design?

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this is exciting. My 2-part usage is getting pretty crazy and I've started looking into calcium reactors. This would look great next to my skimmate locker!

I also love the concept of low water flow with a CO2 atmosphere... need to wrap my brain around that one a bit.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for the reply . So the drip emitter should be replaced once every quarter or more often for larger demands . Am guessing it will be quite cheap to replace and we can buy in advance a year or so worth of drip emitters

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the dkh and ml/min of your effluent? have you tested it ?

Edit:I just figured a conventional design will all media submerged/being pumped through would have much more surface/acidic water contact area? IDK?

It's a really cool looking design, but is it really superior to conventional reactor design?
We've measured it in the upper 40's at about 15ml/min. Is it a superior design? I think so- it puts out a lot of calcium and alkalinity for a pretty compact size and weight. It uses a more energy efficient pump than many designs of similar capacity. And it's fairly low maintenance as calcium reactors go. The drip emitter is consistent and the feed pump is tiny (low power consumption also) and doesn't require messing with except every few months. (more below)

Thank you for the reply . So the drip emitter should be replaced once every quarter or more often for larger demands . Am guessing it will be quite cheap to replace and we can buy in advance a year or so worth of drip emitters
Yes, they are cheap and easy to replace, but I just take mine off, flush it out from the opposite direction, and put it back on the line opposite from last time and it's good to go. You could probably drop them in a cup of diluted muriatic acid to wash them out to a like-new state.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested. I built my calcium reactor a couple years back from large avast media reactor with plans they shared of their old design. Interested in this top feed design with low water level.

135zman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the Black Friday email for the new Seabones V2. Big difference is it looks like the PH probe moved from underneath the reactor chamber to on the top. Were there problems in the prototype version with it inserted into the bottom or is there a benefit for having it on top now?

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably was to stop folks from complaining about servicing it?

We prefer to think of it as implementing customer feedback! :) . It was a pretty reasonable request and it made the product more user friendly, we just had to test it in the new configuration for a few weeks to make sure it didn't change it operationally. All is good.

Just in time for a door buster:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back