New Avast Marine Calcium Reactor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you help ordering for someone with no knowledge of a reactor?
What size tank does it work for?
do I need a secondary Media chamber?

This reactor would work for a full SPS tank up to 300 gallons if pushed hard, the design produces a tremendous amount of dkh if you let it rip. It is also suitable for smaller tanks of 55 gallons if ran conservatively. This is why we love the design so much, it allows a potentially massive alkalinity supplementation in a tiny footprint and also gives smaller tank owners a small footprint reactor option.

Second chamber is definitely not needed and I personally prefer not to use one, but it is a popular option so we do offer it (can be added later as well).

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow. What is the second chamber for though?
I am running a 280 gallon tank.
just started recently. So will be dosing for a while. But it’s a great intro price so thinking of just buying it now.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow. What is the second chamber for though?
I am running a 280 gallon tank.
just started recently. So will be dosing for a while. But it’s a great intro price so thinking of just buying it now.

The second chamber adds more calcium alkalinity and helps bring ph back up closer to tank value before going back to tank. For a 280g newish setup I would probably start with just reactor and add second later when/if you need it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but what maintains water level in the reactor? How do you make sure the little feed pump is adding the right amount of water to match the effluent? Is there a float switch?

bo0ks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also like to know if I can use a kamoer pump to feed the reactor at a fixed rate. I'd plan on using my apex to control the pH within the reactor, and then the kamoer to push a precise amount of water through it.

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but what maintains water level in the reactor? How do you make sure the little feed pump is adding the right amount of water to match the effluent? Is there a float switch?
No float switch. There is a little fitting at the bottom that forces the water level to be at least as high as its top before it can exit, sort of like a standpipe drain, but under pressure. The small included DC pump pushes against a drip nozzle on the output side to create a steady effluent rate. But you could also use a peristaltic pump with no nozzle. You might not have as much internal pressure though. We tested with a peri pump too, but found it unnecessary compared to the inexpensive DC pump that is reliable and simple when coupled with the drip nozzle. We like to keep things simple and less expensive wherever possible!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Ozone reactor and secondary carbon setup from them. I want a calcium reactor, and this will be the one I will get as soon as I can free up the budget

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No float switch. There is a little fitting at the bottom that forces the water level to be at least as high as its top before it can exit, sort of like a standpipe drain, but under pressure. The small included DC pump pushes against a drip nozzle on the output side to create a steady effluent rate. But you could also use a peristaltic pump with no nozzle. You might not have as much internal pressure though. We tested with a peri pump too, but found it unnecessary compared to the inexpensive DC pump that is reliable and simple when coupled with the drip nozzle. We like to keep things simple and less expensive wherever possible!

Question for you.

Do you know roughly what ml/min the effluent drip rate is? Also, i just read the manual on the website. It says to run the reactor pH between 6.5 and 7. It states an effluent dKH of about 30-40 at pH 6.6 is normal. Any idea what the effluent dKH is when at the top end of pH 7.0? Im playing with an online calrx calculator and trying to see if its possible to run it in my system with my current lower alk demand...

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the reactor have to be higher than the sump? This may be a problem for me.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A suitability question:

If my DT currently consumes 288ml of ESV two part (144 of each) daily, am I in a pretty sweet spot to consider this CaRx?
Anything else I should be taking into consideration?
Thanks.

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you.

Do you know roughly what ml/min the effluent drip rate is? Also, i just read the manual on the website. It says to run the reactor pH between 6.5 and 7. It states an effluent dKH of about 30-40 at pH 6.6 is normal. Any idea what the effluent dKH is when at the top end of pH 7.0? Im playing with an online calrx calculator and trying to see if its possible to run it in my system with my current lower alk demand...

I will build this chart when I get back in town.

Does the reactor have to be higher than the sump? This may be a problem for me.
No need for this. It can go next to the sump, or really anywhere you want within about 4ft of head pressure below the sump (i.e., try not to make it pump more than 4ft uphill)

A suitability question:

If my DT currently consumes 288ml of ESV two part (144 of each) daily, am I in a pretty sweet spot to consider this CaRx?
Anything else I should be taking into consideration?
Thanks.
Yes, you're definitely in the range where a calcium reactor will save you money over two part. You should consider kalk dosing as well. The two systems complement each other nicely.

Happy New Year everyone!

Back