New Avast Marine Calcium Reactor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did earlier and I can't remember the exact number. It was around 30dKH at 50ml/min.

I have a very high demand system. I was dosing close to 500ml per day before I put this online. It's well over 4dKH per day that my system would drop.

From what I've seen, people are getting around 40 dkh effluent out of the ACR (saturated CO2 at pH of around 6.0). I don't know if the small difference in pH (as compared to 6.2) accounts for all of that as the "automatic reactors" strive to keep CO2 constant, while adjusting effluent flow to manage alk/Ca and eliminating the need for a pH probe. In other words, I'm not sure you have to have 6.0 pH to achieve 40 dkh alk.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To follow up, I've reached out to Avast and they believe I need to run much more flow through the reactor. I'm going to kick flow up through the reactor to 120ml/min tonight and see how it performs.
How are you adjusting the flow? Are you swapping out the drip emitter for a faster one or you use a kamoer?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you adjusting the flow? Are you swapping out the drip emitter for a faster one or you use a kamoer?
I use a kamoer so it was easy. I ended up having to run home for a few minutes so I cranked it up. I'll see how Alk responds and try to find out the effluent dKH at 100ml/min.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the faster dip rate will help you out. I had to lower my ph in mine to 6.6 and that's keeping the tank at 7.4 to 7.5. Once I get to 6.4 I'm going to add the second camber. Also I'm run reborn in it hopefully it comes back soon.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the faster dip rate will help you out. I had to lower my ph in mine to 6.6 and that's keeping the tank at 7.4 to 7.5. Once I get to 6.4 I'm going to add the second camber. Also I'm run reborn in it hopefully it comes back soon.
Hmm.. not what I expected. Granted, it was only 2.5 hours at the higher drip rate but my pH climbed on its own from 6.2 to 6.4 and my alkalinity went down. Going to have to run some tests when I get home.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a faster dip rate you'll have to add more co2 to make the ph stay the same.
Yup, but with any more CO2 the pump cavitates very badly. I'm going to do some testing to see what my output dKH and pH are. I may be able to get away with adding a third chamber if the pH coming out is low enough.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is something that will work.
Get ARM media fine or regular size and put approximately 2-3 cups on top of the current coarse media since the reactor is a down flow. I believe it comes will a sponge at the bottom to keep super fine media from going through as it dissolves?
You will see a massive improvement.
The media on the left of this picture.

85DA7078-8059-4095-9B25-A5C3C7DDE4C2.png

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention you can find the same media sold in bags as gravel for marine tanks.

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this is almost the same design as the Ozone reactor I purchased last year, I'm wondering if I can easily convert my Mutiny V2 reactor to the Seabones. I'm finding that ozone is less impressive that stable dosing in the long run.

Would all I need to do is swap the top lid fitting for one that can accept a PH probe?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone share an update on how loud the “rain” is? It’s hard to tell in video, so I was just wondering people’s opinions.
It is extremely quiet.

Okinawa_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for all of the questions, as I'm trying to do ample research before deciding which calcium reactor to buy. I'm really leaning towards this Avast reactor, but it will be my first reactor. My question is for those who have the optional secondary media chamber. I was curious as to why the input line is fed to the port that drains into the top. I would have imagined that the input line should go into the center of the second chamber which routes the effluent to the bottom of the reactor and thus pushing it out the top. Can anyone clarify?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for all of the questions, as I'm trying to do ample research before deciding which calcium reactor to buy. I'm really leaning towards this Avast reactor, but it will be my first reactor. My question is for those who have the optional secondary media chamber. I was curious as to why the input line is fed to the port that drains into the top. I would have imagined that the input line should go into the center of the second chamber which routes the effluent to the bottom of the reactor and thus pushing it out the top. Can anyone clarify?
I think it would work either way. To me, the advantage of this is that the water goes through the media and then the filter pad. If it were swapped, the water would go through the media and directly to the tank.

Okinawa_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed an order! I won’t be putting it to use straight away as I’m piecing together my new build and purchased this to take advantage of the 30% off. I’ll be sure to share my experiences!

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the unit seem for CO2 efficiency? It seems like the small size and low water volume might require less CO2 than larger, typical reactors, but I’m only guessing.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems pretty good I had a full tank when i started using it and the needle has barely moved and its been 2 months. I'm running the reactor at 6.6 and it's a 5 pound bottle.

xionggotstyle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a few months since this has been out. Whats the verdict on this Seabones V2 for the people who own this unit? Worth the money? How loud is the waterfall effect? And does this unit require constant tinkering?

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it's worth the money. Its quiet the drip emitter works very well nice steady drip rate. I haven't touched it in about a month since I got the ph dailed in. I'm happy with it

Back