New batch of saltwater and salinity won’t go up

Sprinting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m making a batch of water to setup a quarantine tank but after adding half a bag of fritz to 30 gallons of water, the refractometer still says zero ppt. I checked my tank to see if it was correct and that reads 35ppt.

Is it possible that since I left my rodi filter in the flush mode, that the water is contaminated and for some reason won’t go up? Dunno what else is different about this water.

Thank you all for the help

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah mate I think you’ve probably broken your RODI filter

tank pic and params for further help?
/s

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

I’m making a batch of water to setup a quarantine tank but after adding half a bag of fritz to 30 gallons of water, the refractometer still says zero ppt. I checked my tank to see if it was correct and that reads 35ppt.

Is it possible that since I left my rodi filter in the flush mode, that the water is contaminated and for some reason won’t go up? Dunno what else is different about this water.

No - the problem should be with the measurement.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jk guys, seems it just took a bit for the salt to mix? Lol how do I delete this embarrassing thread
:) Just leave it - as an example. BTW - I'm not kidding

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,

The water still should shiow a salt reading mixed with salt regardless od flush water
One way to confirm is to take a small bucket and mix water and salt and test again. If no reading - Its your salt tester which may be to begin with. Calibrate it if you are able to.
If still unsure, take a sample of water to a trusted LFS and see what salt reading they come up with for comparison

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The water still should shiow a salt reading mixed with salt regardless od flush water
One way to confirm is to take a small bucket and mix water and salt and test again. If no reading - Its your salt tester which may be to begin with. Calibrate it if you are able to.
If still unsure, take a sample of water to a trusted LFS and see what salt reading they come up with for comparison
I think the question was answered

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back