New BioCube 32g, looking for fish suggestions and I have some questions!

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I'm setting up a new BioCube 32g, before that I had a Fluval Evo 13.5g for two years and even though 32g is still nano, it's a jump for me! I'm already thinking about fish even though there's still some time before that will happen. I will FINALLY be filling the tank with water next week!

My question is... what fish would you put in a BioCube 32g?

I'm currently thinking of:
Clownfish pair
Blenny (Thinking tailspot?)
Goby and shrimp (what are your favorite types of shrimp gobies? I had a randall's previously)
Six Line Wrasse

Also, if you agree with the above fish, after cycling the tank what order would you add them in to avoid any aggression?

Thanks in advance!

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the bio cube 32 family!
I would add the clownfish last because they are the most territorial. I have a pair of Clownfish, a Midas Blenny, and a blue green Mandarin Dragonet.

58A957C7-320C-47BB-BC6D-2F536D72DB76.jpeg BEA3C49C-3FF0-469E-B8D3-BFF05589C7A7.jpeg 53894DBA-7A44-4632-8459-74EB4EF45208.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zoe’s Reef

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the bio cube 32 family!
I would add the clownfish last because they are the most territorial. I have a pair of Clownfish, a Midas Blenny, and a blue green Mandarin Dragonet.

58A957C7-320C-47BB-BC6D-2F536D72DB76.jpeg BEA3C49C-3FF0-469E-B8D3-BFF05589C7A7.jpeg 53894DBA-7A44-4632-8459-74EB4EF45208.jpeg
Hi there! Thank you! Very cool aquascape and I love your clowns. I've only had standard clowns before... but am tempted to go with a designer clown!

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely go for a Tailspot Blenny but they are pretty hard to find right now, I’m currently in search of one. I would maybe look into a different wrasse than the 6 Line since they’re a bit too aggressive sometimes but other than that everything looks good. Also other suggestion not related to fish, I would definitely get the InTank Media basket for the filtration, it makes life much easier.

OP
OP
Zoe’s Reef

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely go for a Tailspot Blenny but they are pretty hard to find right now, I’m currently in search of one. I would maybe look into a different wrasse than the 6 Line since they’re a bit too aggressive sometimes but other than that everything looks good. Also other suggestion not related to fish, I would definitely get the InTank Media basket for the filtration, it makes life much easier.
I actually just got my InTank Media Basket in the mail today! I've heard great things about it. Would you say the 6 line is aggressive to other fish or corals? I'm hoping that maybe adding him last would make a difference.

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I'm setting up a new BioCube 32g, before that I had a Fluval Evo 13.5g for two years and even though 32g is still nano, it's a jump for me! I'm already thinking about fish even though there's still some time before that will happen. I will FINALLY be filling the tank with water next week!

My question is... what fish would you put in a BioCube 32g?

I'm currently thinking of:
Clownfish pair
Blenny (Thinking tailspot?)
Goby and shrimp (what are your favorite types of shrimp gobies? I had a randall's previously)
Six Line Wrasse

Also, if you agree with the above fish, after cycling the tank what order would you add them in to avoid any aggression?

Thanks in advance!
I have only had a six line wrasse and I regretted it. Mine was very aggressive and I had a hard time getting it out. If you want a wrasse I think a fairy wrasse of your choice would be good and depending on your water changes and filtration, you could get away with different types of fairies.

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just got my InTank Media Basket in the mail today! I've heard great things about it. Would you say the 6 line is aggressive to other fish or corals? I'm hoping that maybe adding him last would make a difference.
Yeah you won’t regret having the the InTank basket it’s so much easier. The 6 Line would likely bully the tailspot. Just go for a more docile wrasse like a fairy or flasher.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also recommend against a Sixline Wrasse. It is a beautiful wrasse but because of his aggressiveness, he will give you a lot of head aches. Someone mention a Madarin Dragonet, but I recommend against this fish because 32 gal is, IMO, a little small to sustain enough live food for a Mandarin. You may want to consider Yellow head Jawfish, Yasha shrimp goby pair with Randal Pistol shrimp. One pair Percular Clownfish. One of the fire fish....
These fishes are among the best nano fishes. Interesting, easy to keep, beautiful and on the cheaper side as far as Marine fishes prices.
Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zoe’s Reef

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only had a six line wrasse and I regretted it. Mine was very aggressive and I had a hard time getting it out. If you want a wrasse I think a fairy wrasse of your choice would be good and depending on your water changes and filtration, you could get away with different types of fairies.
Thank you for the advice! I really appreciate it. I'll look into fairies.

OP
OP
Zoe’s Reef

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a biocube is too small for a fairy or even a flasher. Mine like to swim all over my larger tank. Maybe a pink-streaked or a four line wrasse? I don't know much about the four line but my pink - streaked is very tame.
Hmm, that's good to know. I might consider a different fish than a wrasse then. Was hoping 32g would be enough!

OP
OP
Zoe’s Reef

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also recommend against a Sixline Wrasse. It is a beautiful wrasse but because of his aggressiveness, he will give you a lot of head aches. one mention a Madarin Dragonet, but I recommend against this fish because 32 gal is, IMO, a little small to sustain enough live food for a Mandarin. You may want to consider Yellow head Jawfish, Yasha shrimp goby pair with Randal Pistol shrimp. One pair Percular Clownfish. One of the fire fish....
These fishes are among the best nano fishes. Interesting, easy to keep, beautiful and on the cheaper side as far as Marine fishes prices.
Good luck
I appreciate it, that seems to be what everyone is saying unfortunately. Ah well, a beautiful fish for my next larger tank.
Would you fit that whole list of fish above in a 32g? Or are those just some reccomendations?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For comparison, in my biocube 32 I have a pink streaked wrasse, a flame hawk, a yellow head goby, and a valentini puffer. I tried to add a tailspot goby but somebody killed it - my money is on the flame hawk.

Algaewarrior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to get a wrasse you may try a yellow coris wrasse. I have heard they are less aggressive and small enough for a 32 gallon. I would also suggest a lawnmower blenny. I absolutely loved all of mine. Super hard worker at keeping your rocks clean. Mine got addicted to nori during qt and died when we were on vacation. Welcome to the bc32 gang! They are super awesome tanks.
15971926922589011465873877908312.jpg

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Zoe!
I recommend-
-Royal Gramma, a must have gorgeous fish!
-I also like the Wheeler’s shrimp goby
-Green Clown Goby’s are colorful & have loads of personality!
-a Firefish, or two, or even three, adds both bright color & motion in mid-water.
-Banggai Cardinal pairs add vivid texture
Best of luck with your reef!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back