New Birdsnest Frag. Does it look okay? First SPS

alexanderthegrape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

The Polyps seem to be extending at the tips but partly in the middle? I’m new to Birdsnest and want to make sure it’s okay. Thanks guys!

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looks pretty bleached out to me. Please post some specifications about your tank...size, inhabitants,chemistry and lights.

OP
OP
A

alexanderthegrape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m testing now. Maybe I got a bad one, the frag was free from a friend. Mine never looked that colorful! Those look great!!

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've sold a lot of birds nest. Pieces from the interior or shaded edges never expand or have the color of pieces in full light - but both do the same in a new tank. IME either they thrive or they die - no in between with birdsnest. If they die, it is not because you got a bad frag (unless it was too small). If they thrive, they grow fast and what you started with doesn't matter.

OP
OP
A

alexanderthegrape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Cal: 450
Alk:9
PH: 8.2

I just fed the tank and saw the polyps close. I’m guessing it’s just how this one is for now. When the polyps close they seem to change from green to dark brownish. My water change is scheduled for tonight. I’ll keep an eye on it! I hope to keep it going! SPS are fascinating.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get the nitrate up to detectable levels. You are potentially "starving" the corals of nutrients. Also check the phosphates and make sure they are not 0

Tdog4413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Cal: 450
Alk:9
PH: 8.2

I just fed the tank and saw the polyps close. I’m guessing it’s just how this one is for now. When the polyps close they seem to change from green to dark brownish. My water change is scheduled for tonight. I’ll keep an eye on it! I hope to keep it going! SPS are fascinating.
Its new give it time. Fish, algae, coral etc go through shock when moved. If just today don't fret

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back