New blue eye kole tang with light spots

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost most of my fish to an unknown disease so I’m worried as this is the first fish I’m adding to the tank. I waited a month to make sure the disease wasn’t reappearing on the remaining fish after treatment in the DT.

Here is the story of the disease : https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what’s-that-spot-on-kole-tang.953441/

This is a test so I’m nervous and afraid this new tang will get ill too. There won’t be anymore fish entering this tank if this one doesn’t make it.

So I guess I’m just looking for reassurance. My last tang had similar spots once when being stressed and they just went away. Is this a case of this new fish being stressed or do he look ill ?

I’m feeding it every few hours with frozen food and vitamins, to help relieve its stress. It’s been fed 4 times today.

The roundish light spots can be seen on both sides of the fish. He looks like he has long teeth too but not too sure about that.

What do you think ?
@Jay Hemdal

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I lost most of my fish to an unknown disease so I’m worried as this is the first fish I’m adding to the tank. I waited a month to make sure the disease wasn’t reappearing on the remaining fish after treatment in the DT.

Here is the story of the disease : https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/what’s-that-spot-on-kole-tang.953441/

This is a test so I’m nervous and afraid this new tang will get ill too. There won’t be anymore fish entering this tank if this one doesn’t make it.

So I guess I’m just looking for reassurance. My last tang had similar spots once when being stressed and they just went away. Is this a case of this new fish being stressed or do he look ill ?

I’m feeding it every few hours with frozen food and vitamins, to help relieve its stress. It’s been fed 4 times today.

The roundish light spots can be seen on both sides of the fish. He looks like he has long teeth too but not too sure about that.

What do you think ?
@Jay Hemdal

Tank is looking good. The video was difficult due to the shimmer and fast movement of the fish. What did stand out was on both sides of fish approaching the tail is a thumb-print white spot/patch which signifies a bacterial issue. The best treatment in quarantine would be Seachem Neoplex which is a broad spectrum treatment although Kanaplex is absorbed making it too effective. I think Neoplex would do the job.
Foods high in amino would also help such as LRS Herbivore diet, Formula 2 frozen, mysis shrimp and Ocean nutrition veggie diet.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good. The video was difficult due to the shimmer and fast movement of the fish. What did stand out was on both sides of fish approaching the tail is a thumb-print white spot/patch which signifies a bacterial issue. The best treatment in quarantine would be Seachem Neoplex which is a broad spectrum treatment although Kanaplex is absorbed making it too effective. I think Neoplex would do the job.
Foods high in amino would also help such as LRS Herbivore diet, Formula 2 frozen, mysis shrimp and Ocean nutrition veggie diet.
Thanks. Unfortunately I don’t have access to meds in Canada but he is eating mysis shrimp, among other things.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks. Unfortunately I don’t have access to meds in Canada but he is eating mysis shrimp, among other things.
Cananda may have NT Labs acriflavine or what would be best is Waterlife Myxazin

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ll look again some more but I can’t find it. In this country we like to have our pet fish die a horrible death. :-(
I hate to say but Canada is the most difficult. Are you able to get ruby Rally pro? That too would work.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the video, but it was very pixelated on my end, not sure why. The fish is "pacing" but that isn't all that unusual for a new tang.

Have you tried searching for "thumbprint" or "fingerprint" disease? I've not seen that myself, but it shows up on forums from time to time.

Jay

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say but Canada is the most difficult. Are you able to get ruby Rally pro? That too would work.
It would be here on february 9th. Is this too late ?

Those spots weren’t there at the store and appeared today. Why ?
I looked at the video, but it was very pixelated on my end, not sure why. The fish is "pacing" but that isn't all that unusual for a new tang.

Have you tried searching for "thumbprint" or "fingerprint" disease? I've not seen that myself, but it shows up on forums from time to time.

Jay
I think Youtube has degraded video quality lately. Maybe to force people to pay a subscription.

I’ll look at these thanks !

@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 wouldn’t peroxyde work for a bacterial infection ?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I think Youtube has degraded video quality lately. Maybe to force people to pay a subscription.

While you can try Peroxide, its an oxidant and sometimes useful with parasite but less likely for this condition. As for you tube video quality- I thought it was my eyes !!

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

It could very well be fingerpint disease. I hope it is. My first tang had it and it went away rapidly.

I’ll keep feeding 4-5 times a day for at least a week and we’ll see. Hopefully the Ruby Rally gets here fast, in case it’s needed.

In the meantime I’ve dosed Polyp Lab medic just in case it’s the same disease I had before. It started with a spot on the tang, even though it looked different, not as pale and not perfectly round and filled.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots are getting larger. I don‘t have much hope if the Rally pro doesn’t get here on Monday like it’s supposed to. I don’t know what nasty bacteria was in my tank, but despite my efforts it’s still present and my two remaining fish seem immune to it.

Pictures are from a video so they are blurry but you can see the spots.
1675451555069.jpeg

1675451586367.jpeg

1675451631289.jpeg

I have a video from a few minutes ago, still blurry because of Youtube. It’s better on my table but I don’t know how to link it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No peroxide can't be used to treat bacterial infections - it is an indiscriminate oxidizer - a dose high enough to kill pathogenic bacteria will also whack your nitrifiers.

Jay

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update day 4 : the spots are still present and at least one has gotten black lines showing. The kole tang is starting to be able to catch food more. I still feed 4-5 times a day. It’s not swimming like a maniac as much. I can feel he is settling in.

BUT… I am 98% sure he has ick. The white specks are raised, like tiny grains of salt. I don‘t know why it wasn’t obvious when the other fish were ill, but now it is.

I am continuing the Poly Lab medic treatment, hoping it works like it did with the others. The Ruby Rally Reef pro is waiting at a nearby UPS store and should be here on Monday. I will treat the DT hoping to get rid of whatever these spots are.

Fingers crossed for a happy ending.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eta : nevermind, I called Ruby Reef and they said it’s very unlikely that it’s going to work. Sigh.

@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 I received the Ruby Rally reef pro but it’s frozen solid !

You’re not supposed to store it in a cold place, freeze it or shake it. Is it going to work ? Should I even use it ? This is going in my display tank as I don’t think I can catch the fish.

Thanks !

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
eta : nevermind, I called Ruby Reef and they said it’s very unlikely that it’s going to work. Sigh.

@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 I received the Ruby Rally reef pro but it’s frozen solid !

You’re not supposed to store it in a cold place, freeze it or shake it. Is it going to work ? Should I even use it ? This is going in my display tank as I don’t think I can catch the fish.

Thanks !
well thats a bummer. Do you have a quarantine tank?
just alone proper nutrition, clean water and low stress will help with this and you can try seachem Kanaplex which is Wide treatment antibiotic and is absorbed by the fish. The other option is to enhance foods with vitamins such as Selcon.
What foods are you feeding this fish?

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well thats a bummer. Do you have a quarantine tank?
just alone proper nutrition, clean water and low stress will help with this and you can try seachem Kanaplex which is Wide treatment antibiotic and is absorbed by the fish. The other option is to enhance foods with vitamins such as Selcon.
What foods are you feeding this fish?
I have other tanks, but none set up. The thing is I don’t think I can catch this fish and even if I did, I’m not too keen on subjecting it to this level of stress. I’ll try if I really have too though.

I could probably get Kanaplex but it’s expensive and a very small container, so not meant to be used in display ?

I add vita-chem to the frozen food I feed. Right now I mostly feed Reef frenzy or fish frenzy with spirulina mysis shrimp. I’ve also given him Marine pellets, veggie pellets, Vitalis flakes and algie flakes. And nori, which he wouldn’t touch.

This is a weird fish. He has trouble catching the food. I guess he never had to do it before being in captivity. I feed at least 4 times a day to help. He does eat, but not as much as he should I believe. He’ll get better at it I suppose, with time.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have other tanks, but none set up. The thing is I don’t think I can catch this fish and even if I did, I’m not too keen on subjecting it to this level of stress. I’ll try if I really have too though.

I could probably get Kanaplex but it’s expensive and a very small container, so not meant to be used in display ?

I add vita-chem to the frozen food I feed. Right now I mostly feed Reef frenzy or fish frenzy with spirulina mysis shrimp. I’ve also given him Marine pellets, veggie pellets, Vitalis flakes and algie flakes. And nori, which he wouldn’t touch.

This is a weird fish. He has trouble catching the food. I guess he never had to do it before being in captivity. I feed at least 4 times a day to help. He does eat, but not as much as he should I believe. He’ll get better at it I suppose, with time.
I forget how smart and quick they are.
For foods, add mysis shrimp , brine shrimp and plankton
I see youre in Canada. Acriflavine will work until you can Ruby Rally pro again, and let the shipper know it arrived frozen so that you get a replacement.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget how smart and quick they are.
For foods, add mysis shrimp , brine shrimp and plankton
I see youre in Canada. Acriflavine will work until you can Ruby Rally pro again, and let the shipper know it arrived frozen so that you get a replacement.
The seller was very fair and refunded me within minutes. But…. they have no way of shipping it to me without it becoming frozen again. He says heat pads only last one day. I can’t argue too much because it’s not even legal to bring this product to Canada.

So I won’t attempt to buy it again before mid-april at least, probably may.

I don’t see any acriflavine available in Canada. I might attempt using the Ruby Rally. The guy from the company said it probably wouldn’t work but wouldn’t hurt anything. I guess that’s all I have for now.

This sucks.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich seems to be getting better; there are less and less grain salts on the fish.

But whatever else is in there is making the fish worse. The symptoms are similar to what the first tang had : 2-3 light colored round spots, small dark veins that appear under the fish skin and swimming at the top of the tank, head lower than the body (you can see this behavior around 1:00 in the video).

Is this how the tank should look after adding the Ruby Reef rally pro ? I decided to give it a shot after giving it time to thaw, since I don’t have a plan B.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back