New Blue Green Chromis Fin Rotting

ChrisKSB

King of GHA Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help identify what this is and how to treat?

Just bought a pair of these from LiveAquaria - I don't have a quarantine, so they went directly in.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably aggression. The pectoral fin looks to have a broken ray as well. I’d be concerned about disease outbreak due to shipping stress combined with aggression. Quarantining would have been the best move. All it takes is a small tank, heater, sponge filter and air pump. The only thing you can do now, if you don’t plan to quarantine or set up a hospital tank, is keep the water quality high and feed heavily to try and boost healing and immune response.

OP
OP
ChrisKSB

ChrisKSB

King of GHA Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response! I barely have enough room for this small tank - I'll have to figure out where a hospital tank could go in the future!

I guess I'll do some frequent water changes and overfeed for awhile.

Appreciate the input!

OP
OP
ChrisKSB

ChrisKSB

King of GHA Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor little thing would not eat....dead now! :(

I feel terrible - not happy with Liveaquaria - 50% of snail/crab DOA... and infected now dead fish!

Wish I had a LFS...

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else is in the tank? I still think it was aggression. If you’re going to be ordering fish online, or even if you had an LFS, you need to strongly consider a quarantine tank or you’re one stroke of bad luck away from even bigger problems.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Aggression all the way and looks like bite from a clown

OP
OP
ChrisKSB

ChrisKSB

King of GHA Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Previous to this delivery -

2 Clowns
1 Royal Gramma

Fish in this delivery -

2 Blue Green Chromis
2 Azure Damselfish

The deceased Chromis had a spot on the tail at delivery...

Just gonna move on and keep trying - I'm still new to the game.

Fred and Wilma (the clowns) are really chill... Hope they didn't take part in this.

Ted, the Gramma, killed a Goby earlier this year...but he is less than 1/2 the size of the Chromis!

@ my size tank, don't think I'll add anymore fish...but will invest in an emergency tank just in case!

Thank you for your input on this....

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gramma can be little, territorial monsters. It could have bullied it, but I think it’s more likely that the chromis were duking it out at the wholesaler before they were drop-shipped. That’s the problem with LA: unless it’s Diver’s Den, then the fish aren’t on their premises. They just act as a middleman for wholesalers in Los Angeles. The fish come from there, and were probably in the ocean a week ago. That’s why there’s a lot of risk of parasites and disease involved.

Bored_shrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had so much trouble with chromis, if they don't have disease and die after you get them, even if you qurantine and treat them, then that's just something amazing. I'd recommend just don't get chromis. The moment they get stressed or there's a dip in the tank health or theirs they die. Uronema also plagues them and you don't want that. They're a cool little fish, but from my experience, just stay away, they cause too many problems. Mine all died except for one from a disease I still don't know what is. Neither did the pathologist one was sent to, so yeah, they get stuff you'll never even figure out what is. Sorry that yours passed though. But I'd just stay away from them if I were you. People say they're a beginner fish, but with all the diseases they get that kill them in like 3 days or less, yeah, I'd just let the more experienced aquarist handle them. They aren't for beginners in my experience.

Bored_shrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No prob. I got chromis as my very first fish when I started, and I've regretted it ever since. It almost got me out of saltwater then and kept me in freshwater. Didn't but I was close, now I have a second tank and got corals and stuff starting in it. The first one is still pretty bad though since I'm still trying to clean up all I did wrong. Yeah, fun stuff. Also, I got on google maps and looked up fish stores and found a whole plethora of fish stores I didn't know were there, maybe try that if you haven't and you might find one. Hope your future adventures in this hobby go great. There can be rough times and sad ones too, but focus on the good ones, and if your sad enough about something you can do what I did and just set up a whole new tank in one day since you have nothing better to do and just get a new tank and start cycling it. I did that after my longnose hawkfish died, now it's my most stable marine tank, recently got another longnose hawkfish and put it in that tank. I wanted to get another since those are just such cool fish. I hope things start going good for you though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back