New Blue Jaw Trigger seems reluctant to eat.

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blue Throat Trigger about a week in my tank, full grown. I'm not quite sure what it likes to eat. I feed my tank a variety (PE mysis, v2o 50/50, LRS Reef Frenzy, Fish Frenzy, Rods Herbivore feast, various Hikari stuff (mysis, brine, angel mix). I've never seen it enthusiastic or eating any of it. I've seen it go at oyster flesh floating around that was detached from the oysters I feed my Copperband.

It's still a little shy but it does go out and about in the tank. It's not super shy like some experience online, where they just hide for days. It even stays out when I'm right next to the tank.

Is it still nervous? Or am I not feeding it correctly?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there's always a concern of internal parasites when a fish doesn't eat, the blue throat can be a little intimidated to get into the feeding frenzy. They will be fine with things liken PE mysis and chunkier but may not bother with smaller items. They are carnivores that will enjoy chunkier food like you would find in the LRS Chunky, or your own chunky blend.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blue Throat Trigger about a week in my tank, full grown. I'm not quite sure what it likes to eat. I feed my tank a variety (PE mysis, v2o 50/50, LRS Reef Frenzy, Fish Frenzy, Rods Herbivore feast, various Hikari stuff (mysis, brine, angel mix). I've never seen it enthusiastic or eating any of it. I've seen it go at oyster flesh floating around that was detached from the oysters I feed my Copperband.

It's still a little shy but it does go out and about in the tank. It's not super shy like some experience online, where they just hide for days. It even stays out when I'm right next to the tank.

Is it still nervous? Or am I not feeding it correctly?
I have a Blue Throat Trigger about a week in my tank
Blue Throat Triggers in particular are notorious for not eating for up to the first month after introduction. I had two do exactly this. Don't worry. Just feed the tank as normal and it'll get the hint eventually. Most importantly, leave it alone as much a possible. That means don't go shining your cellphone flashlight looking for it in the rocks. It's stressed out and the sooner it relaxes, the sooner it'll eat on its own.

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ya'll for the replies. It comes out during the feeding frenzy. I think it just needs to get used to things. I got some purple seaweed today and it actually was eating it, like hunting the free floating pieces. So I assume it's still settling in.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess it is either still settling in, or may have some health issues.

Put my blue throats are aggressive eaters. The mail being the most aggressive eater in my tank of tangs

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ate more this morning, nori and mysis. Also more out and about the past few days. I think it was just settling in. I saw it try to stuff a big piece of clam in its mouth.

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It now goes after food with enthusiasm. Lesson learned to any new owners of it, it takes time for it to feel comfortable enough to swim around, and then more time for it to feel comfortable enough to eat.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back