OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp it has been a little while. As alluded to earlier, I decided to order/build a new sump. I could have made the old sumps work, but didn't like the size constraints of that solution. I am a big fan of old live rock and would have to give up some of it. I want more rock, not less. Also, plumbing/connecting sumps together works, but it is messy.

Lets do this instead...

IMG-5988.jpg

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Whelp it has been a little while. As alluded to earlier, I decided to order/build a new sump. I could have made the old sumps work, but didn't like the size constraints of that solution. I am a big fan of old live rock and would have to give up some of it. I want more rock, not less. Also, plumbing/connecting sumps together works, but it is messy.

Lets do this instead...

IMG-5988.jpg
That is a heck of a lot of filter socks! Any urge to try filter roller?

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a heck of a lot of filter socks! Any urge to try filter roller?
Yes that was a consideration and likely a wise idea. But I have a son who is capable -- and presently willing -- to help out. On a net basis, there is only one additional sock relative to the current configuration.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay maybe you guys are right about going to a roller. They seemed rather flakey and prone to mechanical failure early on. What is the best quality brand/model I should consider?

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay maybe you guys are right about going to a roller. They seemed rather flakey and prone to mechanical failure early on. What is the best quality brand/model I should consider?

I only have experience with the Clarisea SK-5000, and it has worked well for my system for the past year and a half. Overall I really like the filter rollers, but they're not perfect and I'll share my experience. Redsea also came out with a model recently, and probably worth taking a look at as well.

Tank volume 330 gallons, net system water volume is about 250 gallons and flow through the sump is about 900 gph. Geo built my sump with the rollers integrated and had recommended two filter rollers for the system and they run in series.

Early on, I found the first roller would get triggered much more often and the roll was only little over a month which I wasn't satisfied with. After several iterations, I currently have the first roller off most of the day via an apex timer and have it on for a couple hours in the evening after my feeder is done for the day. The second roller runs off the float sensor as intended. If the first filter roll is clogged it simply overflows into the second chamber, and I figure I'm changing the roll in the first chamber daily which is equivalent to a daily sock change. Currently the first roll lasts more than 6 months and the second roll lasts about 3 months.

I'm using about approximately 6 rolls per year with the associated expense. On the positive side I rarely need to change the rollers. The rolls occasionally roll up a bit skewed and the motor jams. So periodically I need to remove the used portion of the roll and get the filter roll realigned. The rolls adhere to the motor unit and I find splitting them with a scalpel allows me to remove the used roll easily and quickly.

Every system is different, but overall I've been happy with the rollers. They function mostly as intended, and I have not needed to deal with the socks, which is a big plus for me.

1657296963465.png
1657297006935.png
1657297026134.png

Attachments

• 1657296991848.png
    1657296991848.png
    1 MB · Views: 41
  • 1657297007225.png
    1657297007225.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 43

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would do 2 RedSea 1200s or comparable. One on each end. The RedSea ones are sick.
Or you can DIY one pretty easily with filter floss from Steve @ Precision Converting.
It seems like you run your flow slow so I don't think you need to get 4.

My DIY roller handles 1800gph reliably. I had to fiddle with water level and roller angle because the extruded PVC I use to make the compartment is a little bendy under the load and I decided to go with an open design where the roller is only supported on one side for easy roll changing.
That being said, Its ran a month on 20yards of Pellon910 interfacing (4 times - 4 5" rolls from one $20 batt) I cut myself and its now running on a 200yrd roll from I got from Steve for $15 - his fleece seems more porous so I'm hoping this lasts a long time. I was over-polishing with the Pellon interfacing.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best quality brand/model I should consider?
Hi Scott,

I just finished reading thru your thread......Congratulations! Looks like you are doing a great job! Can't wait to see it in action, filled with sticks!

I've been using a Trigger roller mat for a couple of years. It's OK and works fine, but it is not as well made as the Bubble Magus that I just bought. I haven't used this one yet because I'm waiting for an I.M. 170 Ext to be delivered next week but it is definitely solid and well made. I suspect that I will be happy with it.

I've always been leery about using mats (and even filter bags) because I feel like I'm removing pods and other beneficial organisms/debris so I plan to filter only about half thru the roller and half will just fall into the sump. Detritus will find a place to collect in the MT and I will just siphon it out with water changes which isn't hard to do with bare bottom.

FWIW...I'll just mention that one thing I feel strongly about is having a strong flow through the sump unlike the trend with many now of having just enough flow to supply a skimmer. I always have as much rock in the sump as I can and of course strong flow will get tons of sponges, tunicates, etc growing on the rock (and will reduce detritus settling in the sump).

Here are some photos of the Bubble Magus (L):
Bubble Magus 1.jpg

Bubble Magus 2.jpg

Bubble Magus 3.jpg

(Sump is a 60gal breeder: 48 x 18W x 16H)

Thanks for sharing your tank moving tips! I'll be thinking of you when I have to figure out how to get my 550 lb 170 into my house next week! :anxious-face-with-sweat:

LMK if you are ever up for a visit! I'd love to stop by to meet you and talk reefing! (I'm in R.I. for the summer)
-- Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lets do this instead...

IMG-5988.jpg
That looks like a killer sump! Nice!
But one thing I've noticed about sump baffles is that if you have slots in the top part of a baffle, it is impossible to keep a perfectly stable water height because as algae/junk starts to clog the slots, the water level tends to rise. I personally prefer solid baffles so the water level has to flow over the top. That way, the water level will stay uniform all the time (if that is something one may want, like for a skimmer where you want the water level stable).

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have experience with the Clarisea SK-5000, and it has worked well for my system for the past year and a half. Overall I really like the filter rollers, but they're not perfect and I'll share my experience. Redsea also came out with a model recently, and probably worth taking a look at as well.

Tank volume 330 gallons, net system water volume is about 250 gallons and flow through the sump is about 900 gph. Geo built my sump with the rollers integrated and had recommended two filter rollers for the system and they run in series.

Early on, I found the first roller would get triggered much more often and the roll was only little over a month which I wasn't satisfied with. After several iterations, I currently have the first roller off most of the day via an apex timer and have it on for a couple hours in the evening after my feeder is done for the day. The second roller runs off the float sensor as intended. If the first filter roll is clogged it simply overflows into the second chamber, and I figure I'm changing the roll in the first chamber daily which is equivalent to a daily sock change. Currently the first roll lasts more than 6 months and the second roll lasts about 3 months.

I'm using about approximately 6 rolls per year with the associated expense. On the positive side I rarely need to change the rollers. The rolls occasionally roll up a bit skewed and the motor jams. So periodically I need to remove the used portion of the roll and get the filter roll realigned. The rolls adhere to the motor unit and I find splitting them with a scalpel allows me to remove the used roll easily and quickly.

Every system is different, but overall I've been happy with the rollers. They function mostly as intended, and I have not needed to deal with the socks, which is a big plus for me.

1657296963465.png
1657297006935.png
1657297026134.png
Thank you for the detailed review. Dealing with rolls only every few months has some obvious appeal.

I will check in with the builder to see if it is not too late. Last Monday, it was not yet in production.

I would do 2 RedSea 1200s or comparable. One on each end. The RedSea ones are sick.
Or you can DIY one pretty easily with filter floss from Steve @ Precision Converting.

My DIY roller handles 1800gph reliably. I had to fiddle with water level and roller angle because the extruded PVC I use to make the compartment is a little bendy under the load and I decided to go with an open design where the roller is only supported on one side for easy roll changing.
That being said, Its ran a month on 20yards of Pellon910 interfacing (4 times - 4 5" rolls from one $20 batt) I cut myself and its now running on a 200yrd roll from I got from Steve for $15 - his fleece seems more porous so I'm hoping this lasts a long time. I was over-polishing with the Pellon interfacing.
Username checks out. DIY roller!?!
I will look into the RedSea. I do have some RedSea stuff (525xl) and some gyres. I was not a fan of their lights nor their skimmers, but the gyres and tank is great.
Hi Scott,

I just finished reading thru your thread......Congratulations! Looks like you are doing a great job! Can't wait to see it in action, filled with sticks!

I've been using a Trigger roller mat for a couple of years. It's OK and works fine, but it is not as well made as the Bubble Magus that I just bought. I haven't used this one yet because I'm waiting for an I.M. 170 Ext to be delivered next week but it is definitely solid and well made. I suspect that I will be happy with it.

I've always been leery about using mats (and even filter bags) because I feel like I'm removing pods and other beneficial organisms/debris so I plan to filter only about half thru the roller and half will just fall into the sump. Detritus will find a place to collect in the MT and I will just siphon it out with water changes which isn't hard to do with bare bottom.

FWIW...I'll just mention that one thing I feel strongly about is having a strong flow through the sump unlike the trend with many now of having just enough flow to supply a skimmer. I always have as much rock in the sump as I can and of course strong flow will get tons of sponges, tunicates, etc growing on the rock (and will reduce detritus settling in the sump).

Here are some photos of the Bubble Magus (L):
Bubble Magus 1.jpg

Bubble Magus 2.jpg

Bubble Magus 3.jpg

(Sump is a 60gal breeder: 48 x 18W x 16H)

Thanks for sharing your tank moving tips! I'll be thinking of you when I have to figure out how to get my 550 lb 170 into my house next week! :anxious-face-with-sweat:

LMK if you are ever up for a visit! I'd love to stop by to meet you and talk reefing! (I'm in R.I. for the summer)
-- Jim
Thanks Jim. That Magus does look fairly beefy; I will look into it as well. Good luck moving that beast. Suction cups and friends would be helpful. Hopefully not many stairs are involved.

Just direct message me some dates at your leisure. I will be driving thru RI on Friday, on my way to the Nantucket ferry in New Bedford. I have also flown into Westerly for AVGAS a couple times. The area is certainly beautiful from the sky.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a killer sump! Nice!
But one thing I've noticed about sump baffles is that if you have slots in the top part of a baffle, it is impossible to keep a perfectly stable water height because as algae/junk starts to clog the slots, the water level tends to rise. I personally prefer solid baffles so the water level has to flow over the top. That way, the water level will stay uniform all the time (if that is something one may want, like for a skimmer where you want the water level stable).
Fair point especially around the refugium section given the light source. I do get some subtle shift even now when the caluerpa overgrows everything. The skimmer section is first so that water line stays constant.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Explain this DIY roller?!

Also, didn't you get that Red Sea ReefMat??

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
DIY roller!?!
I have very limited sump space so It was the only way. I won a ReefMat 1200 but exchanged it (for a ReefWave 45) because of my space limitations. DIYing is pretty easy, I used extruded PVC ceiling tiles, gutter screen, and a 3D printed motor/spool holder I designed. Posts are below. I think it cost less then $35 to prototype. Eventually I'll cut it all out of acrylic on my CNC.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have very limited sump space so It was the only way. I won a ReefMat 1200 but exchanged it (for a ReefWave 45) because of my space limitations. DIYing is pretty easy, I used extruded PVC ceiling tiles, gutter screen, and a 3D printed motor/spool holder I designed. Posts are below. I think it cost less then $35 to prototype. Eventually I'll cut it all out of acrylic on my CNC.
I can put the 3D printed stuff up on eBay (at cost) if you want to mess around with it.

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can put the 3D printed stuff up on eBay (at cost) if you want to mess around with it.
Kind of you to offer. Have been informed that signed drawings are locked in. Socks it is.

I think I will convert my RedSea over to filter roller this winter. The frag system is in the basement right next to a large slop sink with sprayer. Helps keep socks manageable. Plus, I have a ton of them.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Kind of you to offer. Have been informed that signed drawings are locked in. Socks it is.

I think I will convert my RedSea over to filter roller this winter. The frag system is in the basement right next to a large slop sink with sprayer. Helps keep socks manageable. Plus, I have a ton of them.
ahh yes, socks aren't too bad with slop sink and sprayer.
That's what I was doing with my Cichlid.
Piece of pie.

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

No lie I'm mad at this builder and this isn't even mine... why is the design locked if it isn't being built yet? :@
As long as you are happy all that matters in end but still...

OP
OP
S

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No lie I'm mad at this builder and this isn't even mine... why is the design locked if it isn't being built yet? :@
As long as you are happy all that matters in end but still...
It does in some respects make me wish I had stuck with Glass Cages. These guys are "local" and I have seen some (2)of their big boy systems in NYC commercial office buildings.

TBH, I rushed it.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back