New Build: 180g aquarium with 60” sump

Trigger Fish Fan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. For saltwater, I started with a 13g aquarium , then a 32.5g aquarium, then 65g with a sump. Now, for my last and final upgrade...

180g Aqua Japan aquarium
Included four door 30/31” tall cabinet
and the included 60” sump.

The floor has been reinforced.

The stand is put together (took forever since there were no instructions).

The aquarium is now on the stand (with the included mat in between).

The plumbing parts, pumps, UV sterilizer, pumps, wave makers, heaters, sand, etc. are all waiting in boxes to be set up.

The 7 stage RO/DI system is waiting to be mounted (plus I need to figure out how to use it). Up until now, I have purchased water from one of two LFS that I use for water changes & topping off. With a larger system, I’d like to start making my own water.

As for my plan for this aquarium...tentative fish list (though I won’t get ALL of these as I feel it would be way too many...this is my current list to choose from):
1. Triggerfish (Humu, Niger, and a male & female blue jaw).
2. Tangs (Blue eyed Kole, Brown Powder, Gem).
3. Misc.: Puffer, Longhorn Cow Fish
4. Angels (female Japanese Swallowtail, Flame Angel, Coral Beauty)
5. Smaller fish (A few female Lyretail Anthias, my blue velvet damsel, a couple of clowns, my two Mandarins, one hawkfish, a lawnmower blenny, my diamond goby, a Midas blenny, my sixline wrasse, a melanus wrasse, and a candy basslet).

As for corals that I plan to move into this tank once it’s ready:
1. Several frogspawn, torches, and hammerheads
2. Two Scolies
3. One trachy
4. Several Duncan bunches
5. Lots of Zoas and Palys
6. Pulsing Xenia
7. One Kenya Tree
8. One Candy Cane
9. Three branching Stylophora
10. A few mushrooms
11. Two small Acans

I’d like to buy more acans, euphyllias, mushrooms, and zoas. As well as an additional scoly and several digitatas. But not just yet...
The remainder of my corals will be relocated from the 65g into the 32g where we will also be growing algae and housing pipefish and dwarf seahorses.

I plan to sell the 65g corner aquarium (with stand/cabinet, canopy, sump, lights, rocks, etc.) at some point after everything is transferred out of it. But that seems like an adventure in itself LOL

Anyway, thank you for joining me for my new build. I’m super excited!!

OP
OP
Trigger Fish Fan

Trigger Fish Fan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I figure once my trigger fish gets bigger, he’ll be eating my clean up crew too. So far, he’s only after the amphipods and an occasional shrimp, but he’s still young.

PHXHobbies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant wait to see progress on your build! I just picked up a 180 AquaJapan from my LFS (gently used) and I am getting things planned. What equipment are you planning on using?

If you need help figuring out how to use your RODI unit, do not hesitate to reach out and I can help you along the way (via phone or messaging)

This is my first tank (go big or go home!) and i know what I am getting myself into working with reefers for 5+ years now. So I plan on taking it slow and steady!

OP
OP
Trigger Fish Fan

Trigger Fish Fan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Thank you :)
I am in love with this aquarium. I ended up getting a bubble magnus skimmer (it’s huge), Mobius & Gyre wave makers (loving the Mobius ones), bought custom made rock sculptures because I didn’t feel like spending a million hours doing it myself this time lol. The tank is up & running, cycled (using Dr. Tim’s fishless cycle along with previous tank live rock in the sump), and the fish transfer has begun.

OP
OP
Trigger Fish Fan

Trigger Fish Fan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant wait to see progress on your build! I just picked up a 180 AquaJapan from my LFS (gently used) and I am getting things planned. What equipment are you planning on using?

If you need help figuring out how to use your RODI unit, do not hesitate to reach out and I can help you along the way (via phone or messaging)

This is my first tank (go big or go home!) and i know what I am getting myself into working with reefers for 5+ years now. So I plan on taking it slow and steady!

Attachments

• 0982DF91-C2C2-4C3D-8E5B-5648EDA813A0.jpeg
    0982DF91-C2C2-4C3D-8E5B-5648EDA813A0.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 66

PHXHobbies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cool! I love the scape a lot. I cant wait to get mine going! Im trying to be patient and get it all set up properly (water exchange, water station, etc)

OP
OP
Trigger Fish Fan

Trigger Fish Fan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cool! I love the scape a lot. I cant wait to get mine going! Im trying to be patient and get it all set up properly (water exchange, water station, etc)
I bet you’re so excited! Do you know what type of fish you’re planning on getting?

OP
OP
Trigger Fish Fan

Trigger Fish Fan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: are you not concerned with either the triggers or angels eating your coral?
My triggerfish have never touched coral, but are very well fed. The angels I chose are 50/50 chance of being coral munchers. If any of the angels end up having an appetite for corals, I’ll move them to one of my other aquariums that don’t have coral. If the triggerfish decide to eat coral, I’ll move the coral out and keep the triggerfish in the big aquarium.
Though the angels I chose are more reef safe than most, from what I’ve read and experienced.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back