New Build in France. 300gals 1200L. Peninsula with basement fish room

carri10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya.

I’m starting planning for a potential new tank in my new house in Strasbourg, France. It’s going to be approx. 1.5-1.8m long x 100cm wide x 70cm deep. Peninsula style in between two open space rooms.

I know peninsula style gives some challenges in flow and considering using a wave box for standing wave in combination with powerheads

The plan is to have a mixed reef. I’ll use the aquascape to create zones of high light/flow and lower light/flow for SPS and LPS respectively. Not at all sure on fish and inverts yet.

Sandy bottom.

I’ll have a basement sump/fish room with filtration, sump etc.

First question is

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good custom tank manufacture in EU? I live in Strasbourg, France, right on the border with Germany.

Second

For sump. It’ll be in a basement fish room, so I will use food safe plastic containers with bulkheads. For the initial filtration, with this size tank, is it worth using a filter roller, or should I buy bulk floss. I am looking to design maintenance as automatic or as minimum as possible. Obviously, a filter roller is automatic, but is it cost prohibitive at this scale (1200L DT and about 300L Sump)? If I use floss are there any systems that would be recommended, or do I just direct the flow over it in a basic way?

I’ve got a lot more questions on the engineering side at the moment, but ask them as I get more into the project.

Thanks all

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya.

I’m starting planning for a potential new tank in my new house in Strasbourg, France. It’s going to be approx. 1.5-1.8m long x 100cm wide x 70cm deep. Peninsula style in between two open space rooms.

I know peninsula style gives some challenges in flow and considering using a wave box for standing wave in combination with powerheads

The plan is to have a mixed reef. I’ll use the aquascape to create zones of high light/flow and lower light/flow for SPS and LPS respectively. Not at all sure on fish and inverts yet.

Sandy bottom.

I’ll have a basement sump/fish room with filtration, sump etc.

First question is

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good custom tank manufacture in EU? I live in Strasbourg, France, right on the border with Germany.

Second

For sump. It’ll be in a basement fish room, so I will use food safe plastic containers with bulkheads. For the initial filtration, with this size tank, is it worth using a filter roller, or should I buy bulk floss. I am looking to design maintenance as automatic or as minimum as possible. Obviously, a filter roller is automatic, but is it cost prohibitive at this scale (1200L DT and about 300L Sump)? If I use floss are there any systems that would be recommended, or do I just direct the flow over it in a basic way?

I’ve got a lot more questions on the engineering side at the moment, but ask them as I get more into the project.

Thanks all
Best of luck with the new tank!

OP
OP
carri10

carri10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. A lot to figure out!
looking to get my sump designed first as we redo the house. Any views on the initial filtration, auto roller or bulk floss, would be great!
Thanks
Ian.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think royal exclusive is right there in Germany. I would reach out I bet they can design a killer sump. I bet its alot cheaper than the stuff they ship to the US.

for return pump look in to abyzz when i was going to do a basement fish room that the pump I was goona go with. not cheap but I do hear great thinking about them.

I believe another German company and prob. could do a pkg deal with the sump.

good luck! peninsula tanks are the best!

OP
OP
carri10

carri10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. Big question coming up.

I've received a quote for aquarium/sump/kit etc. of about 13,000Eur. A lot can be done to trim this, optimize cost etc., BUT....

As the thread says, this is my first reef tank.

Am I insane for starting out with a 1000L, approx 250gal tank?
I'm going big, because of water stability, wanting to start with the tank I'd end with, (rather than upgrading every few years) and because it fits a perfect place in between two open space in the house.

I'm willing to put money down to automate and I have space in the basement for a large fish room, so water management, quarantine etc can be purpose built for success.

I've ran a planted CO2 softwater Amanzon biotope tank before, so am not a complete newbie. I am able to start slow (e.g. do a 6 months cure of my rock and use live rock to avoid too much uglies), I love researching and have a science background, but is this 250gal idea biting off more than is reasonable to chew?

What are you guys thoughts on this?

Thanks

Last edited:

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, why not? I would say to not start with automation but build the system with it in mind. First hand experience is everything here, so don't bite off more than you can chew.

OP
OP
carri10

carri10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Appreciate the input. Do you think automation would add too much complexity, failure points or costs? Which did you think?

OP
OP
carri10

carri10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, things are starting to move.
DT ordered, 180cmx100cmx75cm, with hood (65cm effective height) (270US gallons)
Remote sump 90cmx75cmx30cm effective (53 gallons)

Aquascape done - using 25% live rock and currently in my future salt make up tank, on a diet of a shrimp a week and water changes every 2 weeks.

RO system, RO tank and salt tank in place.
Going with external return pump - Iwaki MD100
Internal flow looking like 2 x Maxspect gyre XF350 (20kl/hr) at far end of peninsula (I have a hood, so they are hidden) and 2 of either Jebao SOW20 or Tunze 3+. Might mount these last two on an Oceanmotion swivel.

Thinking of going GHL Profilux + doser (AWC) and KH Director

Now starting to gather the full kit list, fish ideas and corals (mixed).

Tank arrives at end March - planning to do
1) a tap water run, going through all possible steps to check leak and functions of the piping, ATO etc. etc
2) fill DT with sand (live) and aquascape, salt water in entire system and run in dark for a month to allow stability
3) turn on lights (slowly) with some CUC over a couple of weeks
4) add some coral and fish once I can prove things are relatively stable.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell yes. as a fellow peninsula lover you are going to love it.
that sump seems a bit small for that size of thank. I have a 75 gal. on a 200 DT ( gal.)
but I am sure it designed well. you can always add a remote "display fuge" full of macros - I would do that just cuz its cool

what skimmer are you going with? I also am a big fan of algae turf scrubbers ( ATS) there are may way to filter a tank. all have there pros and cons.

if you're in the market for skimmers look into lifereef skimmers you have the space you you can do a tall one to get more filtration. not sure they ship over the pond or not, but worth looking into.

oh I love the dino on skis profile pic!

OP
OP
carri10

carri10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
I'm also a bit worried about the size of the sump, but there are some space and logistical challenges.
My tank builder assures me it will be okay.
I had wanted to put a filter/skimmer section, a cryptic refugium,, a algae refugium and the pump return section in the sump.
Reading your post gives me a great idea however. I was going to have an algae refugium to remove NO3 PO4 etc and supply some extra ecosystem, I do believe strongly in the need for a diverse ecosystem.
However, I can delete the algae refugium and have a much bigger cryptic refugium and then use an algae scrubber on a loop.

I'll get the NO3/PO4 etc removal from the algae scrubber and can have a much larger cryptic for a more diverse ecosystem.

I think this will work better.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back