New build means tons of options. Which are the best?

reeferCBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. New to posting R2R but have checked it out frequently for answers.
A little background, my partner and I got into the hobby about 5yrs ago. Jumped in head first doing almost no research before we bought equipment. Big mistake. Learned so much, especially the first year.
we ended up getting a 75 gallon used tank, that came with old school equipment but figured it would get us started.
The first mistake was we trusted the person we bought it from when he said everything worked and never tested before we purchased. Got everything home, set up and nothing worked except wave makers. We went and bought new everything, lights, skimmer, pump, and sump. Figured why not. It’s been up and running and has had its ups and downs as we were making due with what we could afford at the time.
We had a near complete loss while and perfect storm of ato malfunction, water everywhere, than shortly after a heater overheated in the tank. Not sure how or when the heater failed only noticed when when die off occurred. We suffered some losses but was able to save some as well. We had lost all ambition last spring and neglect ensued. And to boot we also needed to move the mixed reef tank to the other side of room. I almost waved the white flag and listed everything for sale.
Then I came across a listing for a near brand new tank for sale. A massive upgrade from what we have. It’s a Red Sea xxl 625. The seller accepted our offer and we instantly got excited about diving back in. Figured we could keep existing tank up and running till new one is ready to move some things over that we want to keep.
We decided to put a lot of thought into the new tank before we get it set up. Ensuring that we’re happy with everything to help keep us motivated and proud of what we build.
So as we’re not in any rush to complete at this point I’m considering doing a custom aquascape.
We’re looking for suggestions as to what material to use and where’s the best place to get it?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Marco type rock. Dry mined from old reefs. Easy to work with. Lots of pores. Many styles and sizes. Flat shelf pieces too.

OP
OP
R

reeferCBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks lapin! I’ll check it out! pics of rock work that anyone has done would be super helpful in giving me ideas.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back