New build - radions for a 205 - questions

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently working on a new build. The tank is going to be 66"x30"x24" and will house a mixed reef with quite a few SPS. I am going to be lighting with Radion XR30 G4 Pro's only and am having a difficult time deciding on two things: number of lights, 4 or 5 (or 3, but I think that's not enough) and how high to mount above the water. I welcome any thoughts and/or comments. I'd really like to hear the "why" behind your thoughts.

Here's what 5 would look like...
upload_2018-10-3_10-26-7.png

and here is what 4 would look like...
upload_2018-10-3_10-27-13.png

Thanks in advance.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be OK with 4 but 5 is always better. I wouldn't be obsessed with how close the lights are to the tank. I think even using the Ecotech mounting solution puts the lights 9-10" off the water. WWC has shown that the lights are plenty powerful enough to penetrate 36" deep tanks while mounted 20" above thew water. Mounting the lights so close to the water makes them susceptible to splashing and salt creep.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice, same tank size I am upgrading to. I've ran several lighting scenarios thru my head including Radions. 5 would be great mounted front to back although if a 6th were in the budget you can do 2 rows of 3 running parallel. Each would be covering a 22"x15" area that way. Most likely overboard though when 4 or 5 should get the job done fine.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 30" the depth or the height? 30" deep is somewhat of a different animal than 24". You might have orientate them back/front if 30" deep.

With a mixed reef, you can place the corals carefully and not have to light as much... you can lets some LPS and softies mingle in the middle, front and sides of the lights.

OP
OP
AquaDaddy

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30" is the depth. Height is 24". I have a hard enough time reaching into 24", much less go any higher (taller).....

OP
OP
AquaDaddy

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice, same tank size I am upgrading to. I've ran several lighting scenarios thru my head including Radions. 5 would be great mounted front to back although if a 6th were in the budget you can do 2 rows of 3 running parallel. Each would be covering a 22"x15" area that way. Most likely overboard though when 4 or 5 should get the job done fine.
Take a look at my build thread. While it's just starting out, it has the rendering of my tank which is currently being built by @Crystal Reef Aquatics

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were in this solution, I would ask myself how high above the tank I planned to mount the lights. I'f you're going to be in the 12" and below like most people, I would say 5. If you're going to be 16" or above I would say 4.

OP
OP
AquaDaddy

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Amoo that's a very fair question. As pointed out already on the recent BRS video's on the WWC tanks, we can definitely hang these fairly high. That being said, I will probably not try to go too high to avoid the spillover into the room. My current lights are about 16" and the height kinda drives me nuts!

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ed_J That's fair. I'm the opposite. Mine currently hang 16 and I'll probably hang them closer to 20 when I get the new tank in. I like the blending and space from higher hanging but understand why others don't. If you'd rather have them lower I would say go with 5.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you all are going to pattern from WWC, then keep in mind that they use T5 now too. I am not suggesting that any hobbyist pattern their tank after a retailer or wholesaler, but you should consider everything if you intend to do so.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently working on a new build. The tank is going to be 66"x30"x24" and will house a mixed reef with quite a few SPS. I am going to be lighting with Radion XR30 G4 Pro's only and am having a difficult time deciding on two things: number of lights, 4 or 5 (or 3, but I think that's not enough) and how high to mount above the water. I welcome any thoughts and/or comments. I'd really like to hear the "why" behind your thoughts.

Here's what 5 would look like...
upload_2018-10-3_10-26-7.png

and here is what 4 would look like...
upload_2018-10-3_10-27-13.png

Thanks in advance.

Running 6 front to back on a 220.......72x24x30 using the RMS mounting arms.

OP
OP
AquaDaddy

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So..... just got back from Reefapalooza in SoCal. Saw the new Giesemann Stellar T5 Hybrid LED Retro fixture at the CoralVue booth. Thought it was much sharper looking than other hybrid's I've seen. Should be released within the next month I was told. Now this is the first hybrid I've seen I would consider using. It's very sharp looking...and I'm assuming the performance will be just fantastic as well.

symon_say

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same situation, I'm planning a 90x30x24 tank, I ask ecotech about how many should I use and the respond 3-4, because each radion should cover up to 36x36.

OP
OP
AquaDaddy

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@symon_say I'm not sure 3-4 would be enough. I'm certainly no lighting expert, but just from the research I've done, I would guess more, however as I type this, that's not a fair comment either as I don't know what you plan to keep in your tank and that will better decide your lighting needs.

symon_say

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a mixed reef, I have been off the hobby for a few years.

But something I have notice is people tend to go overboard with things, like with lights.

A lot of people use a lot of fixtures and then use it at 55%, that's just a waste of money.

You can try 3 at different heights, measure for part and see if that works, if not just get the lamps you need to achieve the part your livestock needs.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back