New Build Red Sea Reefer Nano 21

easily_fishstracted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a bummer, and I am sorry I can't take the nano off your hands as the timing would have been auspicious otherwise. in fact i was forced to jump on one here as one of my LFS has a 10% deal on them that is ending now (so around EUR 500).

the whole live rock vs dry really presents a conundrum to someone starting from scratch i must say.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is a bummer, and I am sorry I can't take the nano off your hands as the timing would have been auspicious otherwise. in fact i was forced to jump on one here as one of my LFS has a 10% deal on them that is ending now (so around EUR 500).

the whole live rock vs dry really presents a conundrum to someone starting from scratch i must say.
Buy the highest quality live rock you can find.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Savvy tanks are nice but wow, he thinks his tanks are pretty special. I got a quote from them once and was floored, and the wait, no thanks. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

Yes I just received a quotation from Reef Savy for a 24" x 24" x 26" tank for $1,925.00

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10/22/2014 11:15 am CDT

This morning I completly cleaned the 20 gallon Temp tank, you cannot believe the amount of white slime that was built up on anyhting that was wet. I am getting ready to perform a 25% water change before hading down the a local LFS which carries the Ruby Reef Hydroplex 2.

I will report any visible changes this evening.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10/23/2017 5:00 pm CDT

24 hours on the first dose of Dr. Tim's "Waste Away", the LFS did not have the Ruby Reef Hydroplex 2 as I was told so I went with my second choice. Dr. Tim's was the original solution to the white slime problem back in 2013 and the slime is featured on their website along with a nice write-up on the slimy stuff.

Part of the write up suggested that a quick fix would be to use API EM Erythromycin so I purchased a box ($12.29) just in case I am not happy with how the Waste Away works over the next week.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10/24/2017 5:20 pm CDT

Well some interesting developments in my fight against the slime. The tank partially cleared and some of the white slime has turned brown. The build up on the glass seems cleaner and especially at the seams is less.

Per the instructions I added another dose is Waste Away.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10/25/2017 6:10 pm CDT

Another day and little change, I added another dose of Waste Away this morning and cleaned the tank with my hand in order to get a feel for how much slime has built up over night.

The glass seemed pretty clean with little build-up but I noticed some new build up on the seams I will monitor the situation closely.

On a positive note the API EM Erythromycin arrived today ($12.29 from Marine Depot) I will hold off adding it to the tank until Sunday in order to give the Waste Away a better chance to slove the problem.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monday 10/30/2017 5:35pm CDT

I was busy for most of the weekend so the tank was pretty much ignored except for feeding the fish, cleaning the HOB filter and topping off the water.

This morning I was able to dive in and clean the glass, to my surprise there was very little of any slime, in fact there was a small amount of green Alge on the glass.

It appears that the Waste and Away has worked. I will continue to monitor the tank closely for then next couple of weeks. I will hold off adding the API EM Erythromycin for now and see what happens.

I will not hook up the UV unit for now in order to see what happens next.

Tomorrow I will perform a 5 gallon water change.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friday 11/03/2014 5:35 pm CDT

Slime update.

After leaving the tank pretty much alone for 5 days, the slime is begining to return, I found the HOB filter completly covered in it and there was a lot in the circulation pump.

So I started the first dose of API EM Erythromycin this morning.

I will post the results as I have more information.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuesday 11/14/2017 5:45 pm CST

Update....

Bummer, the API EM Erythromyci did NOT work and while it did knock back the slime it is NOT gone :(.

What next? I ordered the Ruby Reef Hydroplex 2 today so I will see how that works or not.

I have some expired Amoxicillin in a powder form but I will hold off trying that until I see how the Hydroplex 2 works.

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuesday 11/14/2017 5:45 pm CST

Update....

Bummer, the API EM Erythromyci did NOT work and while it did knock back the slime it is NOT gone :(.

What next? I ordered the Ruby Reef Hydroplex 2 today so I will see how that works or not.

I have some expired Amoxicillin in a powder form but I will hold off trying that until I see how the Hydroplex 2 works.

Did the slime clear? How’s the tank?

Forjam64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been very interesting, a little terrifying to someone researching before their first tank though...

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been very interesting, a little terrifying to someone researching before their first tank though...

Don't be scared. Most people get through the cycle without this type of problem. My advice would be to pick one method, stick with it, and be patient. There have been lots of success stories with people finishing the cycle, adding a frag or two, waiting, adding a fish or two, waiting, and continuing to add slowly as the tank matures.

Forjam64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be scared. Most people get through the cycle without this type of problem. My advice would be to pick one method, stick with it, and be patient. There have been lots of success stories with people finishing the cycle, adding a frag or two, waiting, adding a fish or two, waiting, and continuing to add slowly as the tank matures.
I have picked up from all my reading that after you think you've waited long enough, wait a little more. If it were fast/easy everyone would do it.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the slime clear? How’s the tank?

January 04, 2018 7:15 pn CST

Hello all, after a L O N G break during the holiday season, I have returned to tackling the White/Clear Slime problem.

I have been dosing Dr Timm's Waste and Away for better than a month now, using double the standard recommended dose and I have been having some success. I can report the 3 remaining fish are healthy and I have significantly reduced the slime to where it isnow just a nuisance. Maybe by the time I have rebuilt and restarted my Red Sea Nano I will have finally killed this stuff.

Yes I am bout to restart the main tank again, hopefully this weekend. I will post some new images and an equipment list once I have everything ready to install.

Rather than start a new build thread I will keep this thread going so hopefully others will learn what I have gone through.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have air fresheners or candles or something in the house? Something not normal has to be driving that slime growth.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have air fresheners or candles or something in the house? Something not normal has to be driving that slime growth.

Nothing at all, there is only the 3 of us here (me, myself and I) and with the occasional exception of a Lady for an evening or two I live alone.

So to directly answer your question, no this is nothing externial getting into the tank.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
01/16/2017 11:35am CST

Well it looks like I have rid myself of the slime. 2 bottles of Dr. Timm's Waste and Away seems to have killed it. Then I took down the QT tank and gave it and everything in it a good cleaning, I sanitized EVERYTHING twice and rinsed everythind with 170F water three times.

I then refilled the tank, reinstalled the filter, heater a installed A Tunze DOC 4W skimmer. That was several weeks ago and still no slime.

For anyone else fightimg a clear/semi-translucent bacteria outbreak I highly recommend Dr. Timm's Waste and Away.

If anyone has any specific questions regarding how I beat the slime, please feel free to post any questions here or you may PM me if you wish.

Back