OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. If any of the rock was on your sandbed, you probably just disturbed some of that. That's normal and should clear in a couple hours. Any pictures?
3:05 pm CDT Here is the latest image:

Note: The white blob in the upper left is the 100 micron felt sock attached the the sump outflow into the tank. Additionally I did not disturb the sand into a cloud.

Cloudy Tank 08-18-2018.jpg

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday @ 7:00 am CDT.

Ok I have officially HAD IT, there is NO changes in the tank, it is just a cloudy as the image above. I have tried just about everything I can think of, read about or that those of you have suggested and bloom in no better.

I have ordered a Coralife 9w Turbo-Twist UV Sterilizer and a 170gph pump.

I am going to kill this bloom one way or the other. Grrrrrrrrr

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that should take care of the bloom. How do the rest of your parameters look?

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monday @ 10:00 am CDT

The tank is just as cloudy a it was in the image I posted a few days ago.

System parameters are: Note I an using API and cross checking the results with a Red Sea kit, both report similar results.
Ammonia .0 ppm
Nitrite .0 ppm
Nitraite 0 ppm
Specific Gravity 1.025
Temp 77.1F
ph 7.8

The skimmer is not producing much of anything except a slightly more cloudy version of what is in the tank.

Personally I am baffeled. Hopefully the UV unit will arrive this week.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wednesday August 24, 2017 12:45 pm CDT

System parameters are: Note I an using API and cross checking the results with a Red Sea kit, both report similar results.
Ammonia .0 ppm
Nitrite .0 ppm
Nitraite 0 ppm
Specific Gravity 1.024
Temp 76.3F
ph 8.0

The tank is STILL cloudy and the UV unit is still a least a day away and it may not arrive until Monday :(.

Because the tank has a bit of an oder I will be hooking up a Two Fishes Carbon Reactor today, I have tried placing some in the sock but I am getting tired of that, so I will install a bigger and better solution to the oder issue.

No idea why this bacterial bloom has go on so long.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try removing all of the socks and any sponges you have in the overflow or in the sump. When I started my tank, my LFS owner and others recommended to me that I not use any of that stuff for filtration. I was told that those items only work as well as they are cleaned and that in reality, the person is the filter with socks and sponges. Made sense to me. I had no problem cycling my tank and still don't use any of those items. My bio filter, protein skimmer and water changes take care of everything.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4:45 pm CDT

Installed the Carbon Reactor, I am not happy with the instillation so tomorrow I will go to Lowes/Home Depot and pick up some additional tubing and fittings. But at least it is operational so hopefully by tomorrow the smell will be gone

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try removing all of the socks and any sponges you have in the overflow or in the sump. When I started my tank, my LFS owner and others recommended to me that I not use any of that stuff for filtration. I was told that those items only work as well as they are cleaned and that in reality, the person is the filter with socks and sponges. Made sense to me. I had no problem cycling my tank and still don't use any of those items. My bio filter, protein skimmer and water changes take care of everything.
Thank you. I tried changing the 100 micron felt filter sock every 2 to 4 hours for a few days. Nothing changed.

My parameters are excellent so I am mystified as to what is going on.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. That's why I made my suggestion. Sometimes going simple solves more problems than adding more stuff to monitor.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. That's why I made my suggestion. Sometimes going simple solves more problems than adding more stuff to monitor.
Again thank you. I have purchased a Coralife Coralife Turbo-Twist UV 9 Watt Sterilizer which should be here either Friday or at the latest Monday.

I am going to kill this bacterial bloom by brute force if necessary.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An interesting side note, the tank is noticeably clearer this morning (10:10 am CDT) not completly clear but clearer and the systems parameters are the very same as yesterday.

Still very strange. As for this morning the UV light might arrive Saturday (hopefully).

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturday 26, 2017 3:40 pm CDT

Well a bit of good news (hopefully) the Coralife 9w Turbo-Twist UV Sterilizer and 170gph pump arrived and were installed by 3:00 pm CDT. While the install is not pretty it is working, later when the bloom is gone and I am happy with the clarity I will find a way to mount it in the sump or behind the tank stand.

Now I wait and hope that I can kill this bacterial bloom ;Rage.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back