• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

New but cracked bottom Red Sea Reefer 3xl 900 Sell/Trade

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An unfortunate install accident by movers has left me with a brand new Red Sea Reefer 3xl 900 display tank with a cracked bottom. I have been told by others on the forum that it is possible to replace or add a pane of glass to the bottom and make this tank functional. My movers had to buy me a new one and I have no space for this broken one in my house.

The display tank costs over $3000, I know I had to replace it....haha.

I am looking for $700/OBO to buy, or open to trades. This is for the display tank only.

This is pickup only, and it weighs 900lbs. Please make sure you are able to bring a truck, with about 5 people to lift. It is still on a pallet wrapped up.

If I had the space and my better half would let me keep it, I certainly would repair it myself, they are gorgeous tanks. I am certainly open to negotiating.

IMG_4346.jpeg
IMG_4345.jpeg
IMG_4344.jpeg

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be required to replace the glass?
In my unprofessional opinion and what I think I would do. Remove overflow box, have custom piece of glass made that matches the holes and the put overflow back in. I don’t think I would remove the existing pane of glass just build on top of it. I am sure there are people on reef2reef that know exactly best thing.

wilsonline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my tank like that, a rs 350 with a broken bottom panel. A bit of work, but I got it done at home without any "professional " (lol). No big deal. I did exactly what the other guy mentioned above. took the overflow box out, set a new panel down. But I used acrylic which is not recommended. So far so good though. I did so I didn't have to cut the plastic parts that keep the silicon even at the bottom. You could do that, but then reseal with black silicon and do a good job to come out clean and straight. I cut the acrylic to fit the 45 degree edges and used structural silicon from GE (sgsomething 1200). Yes, you end up with the overflow box and your water level 1/4 inch higher.
I recommend painting the bottom of the new panel white. It's over one year now and I can't see anything wrong here. I would do it again, but I'm in Florida. haha

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like an awesome project but just not for me right now. Best of luck!
Thanks. If the thing didn’t weigh 900lbs I would store it and find a way to use it. Turn it o FOWLER or something. Just too big and heavy to have sitting around. I really just want to see it for I use.

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going to remove the overflow might as well replace the bottom with PVC bottom and drill out the back.
Very true, never really though about any other material but glass. It is rimless and the entire glass under pvc would sit flat on stand. This would decrease cost a lot to fix.

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real question here is, did you cry when they cracked it? Because I would have!

900lb tank, luckily no one got injured from this!
GLWS!
The story is all in my build thread. I have enjoyed Red Sea reefer, but some idiot over there thinks it to be smart to freight the entire stand parts under the tank. Not a separate box or crate. That requires lifting the 900lbs tank up and putting it somewhere while you build that stand for 2 hours. Just crazy. I was building it and heard it start cracking. Heart break man. Thanks for well wishes.
Now someone please take this thing lol

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’m in Cali . If I buy this who can fix it and how much
I was going to do myself. I like the idea someone had with the pvc. You can shape to be perfect fit. Also open to trades so PM me if you are seriously considering.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back