New Cade 1200 S2 Build - Lighting Question???

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Friends, I am looking for some advice on my new build. I've been out of the game for about 10 years but was heavily involved for 15 years prior. Ecotech Radions had just debuted when I got out of the hobby to focus on my business. My question is this: I am building a 4 foot tank with a focus on SPS with a Zoa garden and very few scattered higher flow/light tolerant LPS.

I need your opinion on the lighting for this build. I'm currently have 2 G5 Pro's w/ Diffusers but I'm wondering if a third is needed or is it overkill? What's your experience on a tank with of similar dimensions 4ft dimension and depth?

I've also considered a 48" Aquatic Life T5HO with 2 Radion's however I dont like the look of the unit itself. Another option:

2 ATI Stratton’s - Don’t like the hanging kit but gorgeous lights with incredible power/controllability

I've done every search imaginable on here just looking for some direct advice? Thanks! ** Pic is an example and not my tank...it's not here yet! My setup is below.

wXHvwwch.jpg

Tank
Cade 1200 S2
47.24" L x 27.55" W x 23.6" H
114g Display + 21g Sump + 9.2g Built In ATO

Lighting
2 or 3 Radion G5 XR30 Pro's ????
Radion Diffusers
TBD Fuge Light

Sump
21g Sump

Built In 700x570x410mm
Drain | Mechanical Filtration | Skimmer | Dual Return | Refugium

Filtration
Skimmer: Reef Octo Regal 150sss
BRS Media reactors x 2
UV: Pentair 25W
Refugium: Lit by TBD

Flow
MP40 x 2
MP10 x1

Controller
Neptune Apex + Trident

Chemistry
Calcium Reactor: Deltec Twin Tech 1500
Neptune Trident
Hanna Checkers

Water
- Daily AWC with Neptune DOS
- Mixing Station located in Garage
- Built In ATO reservoir
- 4 Stage BRS in garage

Last edited:

Servopkg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also looking at this tank and considering the T5 LED combo with the 48" Aquatic Life T5HO with 2 Radion's or AI Prime's. I think after time you'll find it attractive, but depends if you are doing a hood.

Curious where you are putting the MP40's and 10's. I was also considering two MP40's on the side pointing each other.. Mine will be mixed reef.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I wouldn't like the look of the Aquatic Life unit but I think it ended up looking nice and clean. You can't go wrong with T5/LED combo as far as the health of the coral. Also, regarding the MP40s, I originally had mine on each end which just caused too much direct flow into the SPS. I ended up taking advantage of their cordless design and placing them both on the back wall towards each side. The flow now wraps around the front and creates turbulence that way. The sides of the tank are now completely clear and the MP40s blend into the black background. I also added two WAVS on the back for extra flow through the rock.

20210130_130739.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
VermontReefs

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also looking at this tank and considering the T5 LED combo with the 48" Aquatic Life T5HO with 2 Radion's or AI Prime's. I think after time you'll find it attractive, but depends if you are doing a hood.

Curious where you are putting the MP40's and 10's. I was also considering two MP40's on the side pointing each other.. Mine will be mixed reef.
I am starting to lean towards the 48" AL unit with my Radions. I am going for a super clean rimless look so no hood at the moment.

As far as the vortech's I'm kind of stuck with going on either end because on the Cade the rear is the ATO reservoir so I don't think I can put powerheads on the back. I didnt realize that when I bought the Vtech's so I may sell a couple and go with another high power option so I have have that direct flow issue mentioned below.

I don't have the tank yet....I'm out of town so they are holding it for me. I'll have it in two weeks.

OP
OP
VermontReefs

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I wouldn't like the look of the Aquatic Life unit but I think it ended up looking nice and clean. You can't go wrong with T5/LED combo as far as the health of the coral. Also, regarding the MP40s, I originally had mine on each end which just caused too much direct flow into the SPS. I ended up taking advantage of their cordless design and placing them both on the back wall towards each side. The flow now wraps around the front and creates turbulence that way. The sides of the tank are not completely clear and the MP40s blend into the black background. I also added two WAVS on the back for extra flow through the rock.

20210130_130739.jpg
Thank you for the pic and input! I've got some redesigning to do. Unfortunately I can't place anything on the back wall because on the Cade the entire back wall is either dedicated to the ATO reservoir or the Weir overflow. I might have to change up my original design for the Vtech's once I get the tank. What are you growing with the AL lighting unit? Which LED's are you using? Any idea of the par?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the pic and input! I've got some redesigning to do. Unfortunately I can't place anything on the back wall because on the Cade the entire back wall is either dedicated to the ATO reservoir or the Weir overflow. I might have to change up my original design for the Vtech's once I get the tank. What are you growing with the AL lighting unit? Which LED's are you using? Any idea of the par?
My tank is 100% SPS. I recently rebooted the whole reef due to some monti growth that got out of control and took up most of the live rock. I added the T5s during the reboot along with 20 or so SPS frags. I have two Radion G4 Pros with wide angle lenses along with the 4 T5 bulbs (2 coral+ and 2 blue+). My PAR didn't change a whole lot after adding the T5s because I greatly reduced the intensity of the LEDs at the same time. I now use the T5s as my primary light source with the LEDs adding blues along with ramping up and down. The LEDs don't run more than 25% intensity.

Back