New CADE aquarium build-need structural advice in a factory loft

Neurovet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a new build thread here for my recently won (Woohoo)! CADE aquarium from the Algaebarn contest. My previous reef was a basement in wall setup of 600 total with a 220g display, two 60 frag tanks and a giant sump when I lived in a more rural environment. Now that I live in a city, things are a bit different.

Two weeks ago I moved into a renovated loft space that used to be a Lance cracker factory. The ceiling is exposed showing the steel pillars and joists in between wood slats. The design on my ceiling is obviously identical to my neighbors space underneath.
I'm seeking advice on where to place the aquarium with regard to structural integrity, especially in light of the weight of CADE aquariums. I am deciding between the 4x2x2 and 5x2x2 (bigger would be better but I'm concerned about added weight) There are a few spaces where the tank could run perpendicular to two of the steel joists, others just one and some none :|

Thoughts/concerns? The inspector that looked at the condo said he wouldn't commit to anything but said that these factories were built like tanks and I "shouldn't have a concern anywhere".

Also curious what peoples thoughts are on the dogma hat reef tanks shouldn't be near windows.

Thanks!
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 1.57.34 PM.png

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I would imagine anywhere on this wall you should be good, expecially if you span two of these I beams.

Is that your apartment with the billiard table or no? If so, you cant put it next to a billiard table. I assumed these are some stock photos.

1628015341578.png

OP
OP
Neurovet

Neurovet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply...yes I'm a reefer, not a pool shooter;)
That location was actually my leas favorite of the four, mostly because of view-ability.
My top choices aesthetically were peninsulas off of the pillar next to the window or the couch (parallel and over the steel joist) vs. the other brick wall (perpendicular to a single joist.)
What do you think? And is the difference in weights between the tanks size a variable?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 2.57.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 2.57.06 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 2.57.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 2.57.15 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 2.57.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 2.57.27 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 53

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The first photo, no bueno - too close to the windows and natural light IMHO - others may disagree.

2nd location is better, 3rd probably best especially if you do a Penninsula along the beam.

OP
OP
Neurovet

Neurovet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If u want to expand the bar/island area you could potentially put the peninsula there.
Next to the window might be annoying, which direction do the windows face?
Expanding the island unfortunately isn't an option for obtrusive reasons. Thanks for the replies. The windows face east and are much darker tinted than the picture shows (High demand plants won't grow well in them and my ceiling lights are on by mid afternoon.

Against the brick makes sense but I just love a peninsula!

Thoughts on the size:weight question?

mjh712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expanding the island unfortunately isn't an option for obtrusive reasons. Thanks for the replies. The windows face east and are much darker tinted than the picture shows (High demand plants won't grow well in them and my ceiling lights are on by mid afternoon.

Against the brick makes sense but I just love a peninsula!

Thoughts on the size:weight question?
If you have the same layout as what you can see above. Then you can put it anywhere where there’s a beam above. Behind the couch next to the column would be perfect. Directly over a beam next to a column. Same with the weird brick roof drain/rain-leader wrap? column next to the windows. (FYI - That could be water damage on the plank above that area)

As far as size… those are probably ~W18 beams? If you wanted you could park a car in there, lol. I’d just put something under the tank stand feet (like plywood) to distribute the load on the flooring. Looks like a soft wood floor.

If you want to move it out into the open, then find out what the thickness of the wood planking is. It will deflect a lot more in that orientation vs typical floor joists.

OP
OP
Neurovet

Neurovet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input (including about the water damage!)
I have decided to go with the site next to the window/brickroof drain.

The plan is to hang two kessil AP9x from the beam using a few beam hangers. It should look pretty clean...I'm having an outlet mount high up there so there are no dangling cords.

Seeking more input on what to put under the stand to protect the hardwood from water damage, denting, discoloration and perhaps noise absorption. Solo plywood or other thoughts?

mjh712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input (including about the water damage!)
I have decided to go with the site next to the window/brickroof drain.

The plan is to hang two kessil AP9x from the beam using a few beam hangers. It should look pretty clean...I'm having an outlet mount high up there so there are no dangling cords.

Seeking more input on what to put under the stand to protect the hardwood from water damage, denting, discoloration and perhaps noise absorption. Solo plywood or other thoughts?
I used a high grade plywood (from a Millwork shop we use) that I coated with waterproof epoxy paint.

just something for the stand feet to sit on instead of directly on the wood. It’ll also help distribute the weight

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree w/ the above that anywhere on top of a steel beam would work. Steel is infinitely stronger than wood. If that is concrete plank spanning the steel beams then you can realistically put it anywhere. What looks like water damage is likely staining from past industrial use. Water would color the concrete differently. What I see is dark. Great space! I love it.

Edit. Just re-read you mentioned it's wood.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back