New camera and a couple of test images

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got a new camera after. I upgraded from a Canon Rebel T5i to a Sony A7RIII. I picked up the Sony 90mm macro lens and just got my Avast Marine Porthole today. I tried out the porthole to take a couple of quick shots in auto. Not the best pictures but not bad for auto camera settings and no post editing. I had to shrink these images way down so they would upload. I can't wait to take some time to really get setup for some macro shots.

20200918_152048.jpg
DSC00340.jpg
DSC00347.jpg

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. My top down shots always stink. I have the same porthole, but the shots are never crisp. Maybe I need to try auto haha.

Shot through the front glass
Stellaria-49 by Peter Young, on Flickr

and top down shot
stellariatopdown by Peter Young, on Flickr

Like night and day :(

I face the same with chalices where front shots are always better than top downs where pics look flat. Not sure if its because my chalices are at the bottom of the tank.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I face the same with chalices where front shots are always better than top downs where pics look flat. Not sure if its because my chalices are at the bottom of the tank.
I think it’s because the side view gets more shadows due to the texture of the piece whereas the top down seems very flat because there aren’t any shadows cast by the bumps and ridges

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing some pictures everyone. I got some time in the temp tank to do a little photo session and got off a few nice shots. This one was my favorite of the day. Anyone know the max resolution of photos you can upload on R2R?

DSC00608_sm.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing some pictures everyone. I got some time in the temp tank to do a little photo session and got off a few nice shots. This one was my favorite of the day. Anyone know the max resolution of photos you can upload on R2R?

DSC00608_sm.jpg

Had to do more post on this image it came out way too dark in jpeg.
DSC00608L.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back