New chromis — stressed or sick?

trapphd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all — received a new Green Reef Chromis two and a half days ago. Upon acclimation, he looked healthy but unsurprisingly went to a chill spot in the tank. However, he’s still not behaving normally or eating. I observed him swimming out in the open very briefly yesterday morning, but otherwise he sticks close to the bottom and spins around slowly, essentially just listless. There are no indications of illness or worrisome physical problems, but clearly there’s something up. If he wants to swim properly, it appears that he can (and his fins extend when he wants but mostly are clamped).

Any ideas? Should I chalk it up to a stressed new addition? Fortunately my clowns and YWG have been very peaceful with him, but if doesn’t start acting and eating normally soon, I can’t imagine it’ll be a positive outcome. Thanks in advance!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree with you that it's stressed and the outcome is likely to be good. If you can get live brine shrimp from a LFS you might see it that gets it to come out and eat.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one, almost identical behavior. Internal parasites. I would bet some kind of disease.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would stay at the bottom back of the glass and eat food that floated by, but over about two months it's stomach got more and more pinched. Tried to medicate in a QT, but it was too late and died.

Back