New Clams - can anyone tell me if they think healthy?

Steven Goff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got 3 clams at my LFS. I decided to pick them up. The blue one doesn't seem to be as open as it needs to be. I don't have pictures on the third one. They all close if I put my hand over light above them.

clam1.jpg clam2.jpg clam3.jpg clam4.jpg

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just got them, they may just need to settle in. I'm assuming they were fully open at the LFS. If so, did you put them about the same distance from your lights as the LFS? Also, do you have similar intensity lights on your tank?

OP
OP
S

Steven Goff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually I put them lower in the tank than at the LFS and then moved them up just yesterday after a week

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they look more open before you moved them up? I haven't had clams in a while, so I don't recall how long it took them to fully open.

OP
OP
S

Steven Goff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look about the same - I believe the blue one was open a bit more in the store. How open should they be?

falconut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of their size, but they should open up pretty wide. Maybe smaller ones don't open as much, I kind of forget. Google some photos to get an example.

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS's in my observations keep clams under very dim lighting. This might work for derasas but is inappropriate for Maxima's. Ultimately, Maxima's want screaming bright light especially the blue and green specimens.

My blue Maxima only opens fully during the middle part of the day when all t5 bulbs are on and the LED fixtures are at their peak intensity. Once one set of t5s turn off in the late afternoon the clam half closes until the next day. Maxima's are very high light clams and won't be happy for long with inadequate lighting. They want reef crest SPS level light intensity.

I'd move them into lighting that's BRIGHTER than what the LFS had them in. As always don't drastically increase the lighting, go slowly, but the end point should be very bright.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back