ClearView Aquarium Lids Master Thread - It all started RIGHT HERE!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ordered my Reefer 350 lid I worried it was going to be like something I had before; a rough acrylic top with mesh in the center. Bought it custom from a forum member.... sucked. I had to flip it every day because it distorted to the waterline!

A year after receiving mine I could not be happier. No warp, and once the salt is brushed off it always looks good as new. I ordered it with a cutout for the apex feeder but now use that cutout to hold dosing tubes and a display temperature probe.

I leave off the feeding door now after it fell into the tank for the fourth time (I’m clumsy and lack hand/eye coordination), and for that reason am thinking about hot gluing a knob of sort to the feeding door. Has anyone else done this? I broke an acro colony retrieving the feeding door that fell into it

@ArtFully Acrylic Somehow a small 6” or so section of the rubber/gasket/window-lining thingy went missing: easy to replace but I was wondering what diameter it is? Thanks!

Hey Harold! Thanks for sharing your story! Especially nice hearing from those with ClearView Lids with some age under their belt. We know they are still working great with age...we have original prototypes still in operation and hardly looking like they are of any age at all.

Our ClearView Lids are quite often mistaken for Acrylic, but are the only product we make that ISN'T acrylic. The polycarbonate we use for the ClearView Lids costs about 80% more than an equivalent sheet of acrylic. The difference between them is HUGE! Dry hot conditions from above the lid and tropical humid conditions from below generally spell disaster for acrylic as it more readily absorbs moisture. Acrylic bows/warps much like you'd see a piece of plywood do if it were left out in the yard constantly exposed to moist conditions from below and hot/dry conditions from above.

The extra benefit of polycarbonate towards long term life is it's extreme durability. Acrylic is 8 times more impact resistant than glass....pretty nice. Polycarbonate is 200 times more impact resistant than glass. This is what allows us to use such thin/low profile support tabs. Acrylic that thin is very fragile. ClearView Polycarbonate however can take quite an intentionally negligent beating before seeing even remote signs of damage/stress even in the thinnest area of your lid.

As for your feeding door, maybe you would have better luck with our Locking Feed Door which may have been added to the lineup after your order. It adds a snap fit ring to the bottom of the feed door which add a 2nd set of support tabs on the underside of the door. This then slides onto the feed door opening secured from the top and bottom. It's design intent was to prevent larger wrasses/eels/etc. from knocking the door off the lid and presenting the opening for escape. However, it will also certainly stop you from dropping the door into the tank.

Send us an email to [email protected] and we will set you up with a locking door at the lower price of a replacement standard door with free shipping.

As for the gasket, we use standard window spline which you can find in small quantity for a few bucks at your local HD/Lowes/Ace/etc. All lids are currently made with .175 sized spline. Your lid may however been made with .140 (we changed channel tooling mid generation). Most hardware stores even have a multi pack that includes sections of .125, .140, .175 for cases where consumer's may not know which size they need for an application.

If you email me your name and/or order number I can pull up your original CAD file (yep, we still have EVERY single lid file/configuration/setup we've ever made) and see which was used in production when yours was made.

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad is salt creep with these?

I've never had any

We've never received any comments about salt creep, but it's certainly possible if conditions are 'right' for it. I'd expect a high water line and/or high surface agitation/splashing could cause this. It'd also likely have to involve a lack of periodic cleaning for noticeable levels of buildup to occur in these conditions.

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, everyone, I just want to let you all know the timeframe of my order, thus far:

-----------
Order placed: Aug 27
Email notice from Artfully Acrylic to confirm lid specs for cutout programming: Oct 5

-----------

Quite reasonable, in my opinion, and within the estimated time.

I just returned from out of town (Oct 15) and sent AA the lid confirmation specs. Will keep you all posted on when it arrives and will include pics!

By the way, here is the diagram of my cutout (drawn very poorly by me on Paintbrush app, I know!). Note: FD stands for "Feed Door."

Diagram tank TC.png

Thanks for sharing your experience Chai. And super thanks for sharing your example of how simple some drawings can be. We receive and work with quite a variety. From doodles on paper, to paintbrush apps, to full scale engineering drawings and even CAD files.

Our admin was working on your lid's programming earlier. When she's done, she'll send it to me for QC and nesting on the CNC for production. You will ship shortly after, this week certainly.

gone_phishin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i ordered on 9/19 and just got an email saying that my order is being processed, but wasn't sure if that meant my lid is being made or being shipped?

about how long from the 'processing' email before delivery?

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i ordered on 9/19 and just got an email saying that my order is being processed, but wasn't sure if that meant my lid is being made or being shipped?

They just started looking. I got an email saying that it was being made. Then I got an email saying it was shipped

OP
OP
ArtFully Acrylic

ArtFully Acrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Orders are marked as processing once they are 'ready' for programming. This means we have confirmed all info/specs needed to finalize your lids programming. Lids quickly move from programming to cutting/screening/shipping from there. In many cases lids will ship within a day or two following this email. Others a bit longer. This depends on the CNC cut schedule and how/where we are able to nest your lid efficiently into a planned sheet.

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1063.JPG
Member since June 2016, just finished replacing screen. It has served me well. My metal halides, I think, has caused the screen to deteriorate, plus salt creep from splashing wrasse and the micro bubble cleaning. My wrasse jump around so much I'm hesitant to take it off and out side to hose it down, for fear I'll return and find a fish on the floor and it seems they know when it's off. The message goes out " everybody out of the pool" lol. I digress, I'm having the same problem as TheHarold, could you do me this same favor

Send us an email to [email protected] and we will set you up with a locking door at the lower price of a replacement standard door with free shipping.

gone_phishin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any idea when order # 6393 is shipping out?

i may be out of town for a few days coming up and might have to arrange a friend to pick it up or bring it inside...

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope , still nothing
I just received a reply based on my order inquiry. They have had issues with their CNC equipment that was affecting quality and had to take it offline for repair/maintenance. They are back up and will be working all weekend to get caught up. I too am a bit frustrated, but would rather wait a bit longer, and get the best quality product. I got my response by sending my order inquiry via email. It did take a day or two to hear back, but it was clear, concise and told me the status of my order (now cut, in screening and will ship Monday).

reid429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that would be information to either send an email on or post in this thread about. I gave up on emails. It’s worthless. I only got responses in here. One day it will be here, One day

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that would be information to either send an email on or post in this thread about. I gave up on emails. It’s worthless. I only got responses in here. One day it will be here, One day
I do agree, an update would have been nice on the forum. It probably would have been easier to post it here once than deal with email update requests.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back