New Clown - Currently in QT, disease ID?

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We received our new clown, whom of which is currently in QT tank, and is currently at therapeutic levels for copper (2ppm) However this morning, I noticed this little spot on his chin. I'm new to this hobby, and I've never seen anything like it with our freshwater tanks. It doesn't quite LOOK like ich, but maybe? Its only the one spot. Hes been with us since Wednesday, and up until this morning, hes been active, and eating. Additionally, white stringy poo, but his belly doesn't look pinched. This may be my last attempt at this hobby, bad luck. Hah.

Side note: We just dealt with another clown from another LFS, that had parasites, unfortunately my lack of knowledge didn't help here.

QT tank parameters:
Temp 78.2F, Ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 1ppm, copper at 2ppm exactly, salinity is 35ppt

qtphoto.PNG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What copper product are you using? What test kit? Is the fish not eating now? Is it breathing fast?
I really tried to see, but the picture just isn’t good enough to make out any details. Sometimes a short video works better...

Jay

OP
OP
DoomervilleG

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get a video, best as I can. Hes not breathing particularly fast. He is eating, very active. I'm using a salifert copper test, which as far as I know, is good. I've used the same test many times for our freshwater tanks. I ordered a hannah high range test that will arrive on Tuesday. I'm using seachem cupramine.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I don’t use cupramine, but I thought the dose for that is 0.50 ppm?
Jay

OP
OP
DoomervilleG

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typo, it should be .2ppm NOT 2ppm. My mistake. This is the dosing we've used for our freshwater QTs, and since I'm still very new to saltwater, it is extremely possible its too much/too little. This was the best video I could get of him, hes in the transfer box. The mark in question is on the right side, lower gill plate, almost pink in color.

Attachments

• 20210425_184029.mp4
    30.3 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should check your cupramine dose. Following label instructions is best, but I don't think you are at full dose for a marine system yet.

I can see the lesion on the fish's right gill cover, but it doesn't look too serious, at least it isn't one of the commonly seen communicable diseases.

jay

OP
OP
DoomervilleG

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will up it to the .5 that is recommended. As for the lesion..do you have recommendations, or just keep an eye on it right now?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will up it to the .5 that is recommended. As for the lesion..do you have recommendations, or just keep an eye on it right now?
Just watch to see if it spreads for now. Many of those types of issues are self-limiting and may go away. You might want to have some antibiotics on hand to be ready to treat - Furan-2, Neoplex, any gram negative, broad spectrum antibiotic.

Jay

OP
OP
DoomervilleG

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bump this thread, just a quick update to this little fella. Cupramine has been at the correct dose (.5ppm) for about 4 days, no change in his apparent injury (still unsure as to what it is). He is still VERY active, and eats like a pig..his stringy poo cleared up, however so I attribute that to not eating before shipping, maybe. Furan-2 won't be here until the end of May, unfortunately but I do have some kanaplex that got in. It does not appear to be healing, but not getting worse, either. I'll try to get another picture tomorrow during his water change.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it seems stable - eating well and the lesion isn't spreading, you might want to wait a bit longer. You could start the Kanaplex, but this is really a judgement call on your part.

Jay

OP
OP
DoomervilleG

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll do some more waiting, if the fish isn't broken, don't break him. Hah! Otherwise, he appears to be healthy.

OP
OP
DoomervilleG

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was able to get some really good pictures of the new developments. I'm still unsure what this is. My QT tank doesn't have any lights on it. It sort of looks like it might be brooklynella? I'm totally new to this though, Hes not covered in mucus. (Which if my understanding is correct, is one of the giveaways?) He is still eating, and is very active, doesn't appear to be breathing any faster/harder than normal. He has fresh tank water as of this morning, with no cupramine in the tank.

I may invest in a DSLR camera at this point, the amount of work it is to take a picture of a fish with a galaxy ultra, is bonkers, lol.

Attachments

• 20210504_131233.jpg
    20210504_131233.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210504_130944.jpg
    20210504_130944.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210504_132106_capture.jpg
    20210504_132106_capture.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 40

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was able to get some really good pictures of the new developments. I'm still unsure what this is. My QT tank doesn't have any lights on it. It sort of looks like it might be brooklynella? I'm totally new to this though, Hes not covered in mucus. (Which if my understanding is correct, is one of the giveaways?) He is still eating, and is very active, doesn't appear to be breathing any faster/harder than normal. He has fresh tank water as of this morning, with no cupramine in the tank.

I may invest in a DSLR camera at this point, the amount of work it is to take a picture of a fish with a galaxy ultra, is bonkers, lol.
Really tough to get good photos of fish, I know! I can't see much in these photos though. I don't think it is Brooklynella though, the middle photo shows some damage to the tail fin that I didn't see before.
Since the fish is eating well, and I presume isn't breathing fast, I'm just left with a bacterial infection as the issue, so kind of back where we were on this yesterday. If the tail seems to be getting worse to you, I think you should pull the plug on some antibiotic therapy. If you can't get the Furan until the end of May, that's too long. What about Maracyn 2? Most pet stores carry that.

Jay

OP
OP
DoomervilleG

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try to find Maracyn 2, as it came up as an option during my own research. We only one pet store anywhere remotely close to us, and that is petco. Our store, at least doesn't sell any fish medicines beyond the herbal parasite stuff that I dislike. My wife is going to stop in one of the bigger cities on her way home tonight to check for Furan-2. IF we manage to get some, would that be the immediate plan of treatment? The tail damage hasn't appeared to get any worse, I'm not 100% positive he didn't hurt it somehow though, either, though I suspect its something I missed in instead. Outside of the current symptoms, he seems pretty healthy.

Edit: My wife was able to get some furan-2 from the LFS, 2 hours away, hah.
Edit 2: I started furan treatment as soon as the wifey got home, I'm not sure if it'll help the poor guy or not, but heres hoping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DoomervilleG

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last update. Unfortunately, the little guy didn't make it. I found him curled up in the corner this morning. Water parameters were good, water was visual clear (So I don't suspect an oxygenation problem), I added extra aeration for helping with O2 with the meds dosed. I followed dosing to the T. I feel bad, as this will be 2 out of 3 clowns, I'm thinking our current clown in the DT, may remain the only clown in the tank, just not having luck here. (The first clown died in QT due to I suspect a parasite, he came from a sketchy LFS we won't be using anymore, lesson learned). This one was shipped from a well known vendor, and I don't hold anything against them at all.

I just think this poor guy was a victim of my own inexperience with saltwater and fish disease in general. Our FW tanks have had their issues, but I haven't really had a run in with a fish death I could attribute to sickness (Knock on wood).

Back