OP
M

mjw88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, did you see the still pictures from last night? The clown clearly has an external protozoan infection .
Jay
I talked to my LFS where I got them, he’s pretty confident it’s ich, he’s giving me a 10 gal tank to use for a hospital tank for now, has some treatment options available, as for the rest of the fish he said they may have some natural immunity and may just be hardier so to just keep an eye on them and not to treat the DT cause it will ruin any future corals, he said sometimes that ich will manifest itself on a fish when it’s stressed and at its weakest

OP
OP
M

mjw88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, did you see the still pictures from last night? The clown clearly has an external protozoan infection .
Jay
Jay, what are your thoughts on trying this? I’ve read a lot about the fish having high mortality rates even in a hospital tank and since I have no corals yet if it’s something that is worth trying…

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, what are your thoughts on trying this? I’ve read a lot about the fish having high mortality rates even in a hospital tank and since I have no corals yet if it’s something that is worth trying…
Peroxide has been used as a dip, but then the fish need to be moved to a new tank. Using peroxide as a static bath needs further study. My peroxide bench testing results are posted here, but I’m on my phone and can’t link it for you. Try searching on hemdal + peroxide.
Jay

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Peroxide has been used as a dip, but then the fish need to be moved to a new tank. Using peroxide as a static bath needs further study. My peroxide bench testing results are posted here, but I’m on my phone and can’t link it for you. Try searching on hemdal + peroxide.
Jay
Thank you for this. This is some really helpful information. No matter how I see it, there's never enough information on fish disease and treatment.

OP
OP
M

mjw88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I came home and this is what he looks like now, ate all his food, swimming around, spots are gone, still going back and forth from the rocks and the power head

Attachments

• 704B3D87-F3C3-4737-B98D-E08793012E32.png
    704B3D87-F3C3-4737-B98D-E08793012E32.png
    806.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6499.MOV
    12.7 MB
  • 3BB225AB-1ADB-47F6-AE8E-EA88A5011DA2.jpeg
    3BB225AB-1ADB-47F6-AE8E-EA88A5011DA2.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 28

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I came home and this is what he looks like now, ate all his food, swimming around, spots are gone, still going back and forth from the rocks and the power head
Just be vigilant in your daily observations, it is common for ich to come and go, especially when it first starts up in a tank.
Jay

OP
OP
M

mjw88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be vigilant in your daily observations, it is common for ich to come and go, especially when it first starts up in a tank.
Jay
Thank you for your insight and expertise, it’s quite intimidating starting up a reef tank, lots of conflicting info out there, nice to find a community with experts willing to share their experiences

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your insight and expertise, it’s quite intimidating starting up a reef tank, lots of conflicting info out there, nice to find a community with experts willing to share their experiences
It can be very intimidating starting a reef, especially when things dont work out in the early stages.

Dont give up though, this hobby can be super rewarding!

You could try running UV to help maintain the population of protozoan. Everyone has a different approach or oppinion though so do what you feel is best and most understandable for you.

I have Ich in my tank and im sure it was from my blue tang, but he never had signs initially, but these things can hide pretty well on the fish.

My ich comes and goes, my initial outbreak was a lot on the blue, but now running UV there might be a spot from time to time. I can accept this as i dont have time or facilities for QT. Plus here in australia fish have to go through a minimum 2 week QT in seperate systems and seems that ich is the most commen problem, super rare to hear of velvet. But hey still no garentees

OP
OP
M

mjw88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So LFS guy was explaining to me he thought the clowns having gotten sick and passing was more from tank hoping and stress than a rampant infection in the tank, possible a bacterial infection he thought. Now I’m just following up with you experts if there is any plausibility to this. My hawk fish has been in there with a Fire goby since the beginning and they’re fine, never an issue, my guy came by (he services tanks 2 days per week) and he thought the tank hoping from the breeder, to his QT to his store tanks to my tanks may have just been too much for young clowns. He gave me an old clown he never could catch but eventually relocated to his coral breeder for me to test out. He said she’s older (3 years in his tanks) tougher, and won’t be bothered by the other hawk fish and will handle the stress better. He said is she did get sick to bring her back and he’d treat her in his shop, kinda running a trial with my tank. His thought was if he was in fact having issues with his incoming stock she would have been exposed and is apparently fine. None of the other fish that came with my clowns had any symptoms, they’re still at his shop and live in tanks with lots of coral so I can’t see him dosing with cooper. The new clown, She’s been with us about a week now, when she faces head on in the camera she looks like she’s fuzzy but in person she isn’t. She seems feisty, her is a video and a few pictures of her and her tank mates minus the hawk fish. Is she exhibiting any abnormal behaviors?

Attachments

• 7E351E39-94B9-4B12-80D9-9274793D4DCF.jpeg
    7E351E39-94B9-4B12-80D9-9274793D4DCF.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 24
  • C3F61D36-5E80-47B5-B0F0-84323C2E94EB.jpeg
    C3F61D36-5E80-47B5-B0F0-84323C2E94EB.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6652.MOV
    11.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So LFS guy was explaining to me he thought the clowns having gotten sick and passing was more from tank hoping and stress than a rampant infection in the tank, possible a bacterial infection he thought. Now I’m just following up with you experts if there is any plausibility to this. My hawk fish has been in there with a Fire goby since the beginning and they’re fine, never an issue, my guy came by (he services tanks 2 days per week) and he thought the tank hoping from the breeder, to his QT to his store tanks to my tanks may have just been too much for young clowns. He gave me an old clown he never could catch but eventually relocated to his coral breeder for me to test out. He said she’s older (3 years in his tanks) tougher, and won’t be bothered by the other hawk fish and will handle the stress better. He said is she did get sick to bring her back and he’d treat her in his shop, kinda running a trial with my tank. His thought was if he was in fact having issues with his incoming stock she would have been exposed and is apparently fine. None of the other fish that came with my clowns had any symptoms, they’re still at his shop and live in tanks with lots of coral so I can’t see him dosing with cooper. The new clown, She’s been with us about a week now, when she faces head on in the camera she looks like she’s fuzzy but in person she isn’t. She seems feisty, her is a video and a few pictures of her and her tank mates minus the hawk fish. Is she exhibiting any abnormal behaviors?

I'm a bit concerned that her dorsal fin is kept folded, and I *think* I can see some general cloudiness to her skin. I don't see any obvious signs of ich, but I can't rule out Brooklynella. It may also just be that the fish still needs to accustom itself to the new tank.

Jay

OP
OP
M

mjw88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit concerned that her dorsal fin is kept folded, and I *think* I can see some general cloudiness to her skin. I don't see any obvious signs of ich, but I can't rule out Brooklynella. It may also just be that the fish still needs to accustom itself to the new tank.

Jay
Thanks you, I will keep an eye on it and I have formaldehyde he gave me if she gets brook and copper for velvet. He was fairly confident he could rule out velvet, he said in his experiences it was unsparing, he didn’t think the goby and fox face would have been left unharmed, said the flame hawks are pretty tough and can deal with a lot of stress I guess. I like the bigger older clown, she definitely has a different attitude to her compared to the young little ones, she ran that hawk fish off in the first 30 seconds and claimed her little corner. Funny watching them interact, the fire goby always wants to hang out with her and she doesn’t seem to mind.

OP
OP
M

mjw88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, when I first put her in she went right up to the frogspawn and started rolling in it and rubbing her face on it, she hasn’t done it since, she hangs out by it but doesn’t touch it, is frog spawn irritating or could it sting?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you, I will keep an eye on it and I have formaldehyde he gave me if she gets brook and copper for velvet. He was fairly confident he could rule out velvet, he said in his experiences it was unsparing, he didn’t think the goby and fox face would have been left unharmed, said the flame hawks are pretty tough and can deal with a lot of stress I guess. I like the bigger older clown, she definitely has a different attitude to her compared to the young little ones, she ran that hawk fish off in the first 30 seconds and claimed her little corner. Funny watching them interact, the fire goby always wants to hang out with her and she doesn’t seem to mind.
FYI - velvet will show first as rapid breathing, often with no other symptoms. I didn't see rapid breathing....

Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back