New clownfish diagnosis needed

Macfene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this Clown 2 days ago and he has 2 spots on him 1 on fin and 1 on gill. He is eating.
1. what is it?
2. Is it serious?
3. What should I do?
When I was taking the picture it looked like the one on the fin was loosely on there.

image.jpg

Attachments

• 63423810712__77E49062-A7E0-4EFE-BC0B-21E28C491A49.MOV
    1.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry! I cannot get the video to run and I can’t see the spot in the picture, so cannot tell you what it might be.

Are the spots like grains of salt or are they larger? Has it had them for the two days or did they show up today? Any other fish in with it?

Jay

OP
OP
Macfene

Macfene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry! I cannot get the video to run and I can’t see the spot in the picture, so cannot tell you what it might be.

Are the spots like grains of salt or are they larger? Has it had them for the two days or did they show up today? Any other fish in with it?

Jay
I noticed one yesterday, the one on the fin is new today. The spot on the gills is very small, the one on the fin is hanging off now and it looks a bit pink where it was

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the video to run on a different computer, but the fish is out of focus, so still can't see anything. Obviously, the concern here is the clown may have ich (Cryptocaryon). Trouble is, the treatment for that must be performed in a treatment tank without any invertebrates being present. Can you do that sort of treatment? If not, you would have to try one of the less effective "reef safe" medications. These, like Ruby Reef Rally Pro might work if you use them soon enough.

Jay

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had to deal with ICH once and fortunately it was in Quarantine when it happened.

I was successful in treating with daily fresh water dips and going hypo-salinity. Try that before bottled solutions.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A freshwater dip might get it to release as well.
That typically has no effect on Crypt. tomonts, they dig in pretty deep. It does remove some of them, but then, there are still theronts in the tank able to reinfect the fish. FW dips really need to only be used to buy some time, or as a screening tool for flukes.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had to deal with ICH once and fortunately it was in Quarantine when it happened.

I was successful in treating with daily fresh water dips and going hypo-salinity. Try that before bottled solutions.
My point was the OP can't do that in the main tank (I saw some Zoas in the picture). Therefore, they either need to use "reef safe" meds, or better yet, use a treatment tank. If the latter, then copper would be the treatment of choice. However, we can't even confirm this is Cryptocaryon yet...

Jay

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point was the OP can't do that in the main tank (I saw some Zoas in the picture). Therefore, they either need to use "reef safe" meds, or better yet, use a treatment tank. If the latter, then copper would be the treatment of choice. However, we can't even confirm this is Cryptocaryon yet...

Jay

Fair points.

My resistance to bottled solutions has less to do with my faith in their effectiveness and more to do with the lack of ethical conduct in the industry by retailers.

Bottled solutions are often sold to inexperienced aquarists who place their faith in the LFS for guidance. And they sometimes betray that faith by selling them things they may or may no need.

But I've digressed...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don’t see a thing

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair points.

My resistance to bottled solutions has less to do with my faith in their effectiveness and more to do with the lack of ethical conduct in the industry by retailers.

Bottled solutions are often sold to inexperienced aquarists who place their faith in the LFS for guidance. And they sometimes betray that faith by selling them things they may or may no need.

But I've digressed...
I agree - but if there is no treatment tank, the alternative is to just let the fish die. I have seen some apparent benefit from Ruby Reef, and it has known ingredients. My hard and fast rule is: do not put something in your tank if you cannot determine what the ingredients are.

Jay

OP
OP
Macfene

Macfene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think that it’s ich because the spots seem to be larger and loose on the fish, they seem to come off and leave the area where they were pink

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just not been able to see clearly enough, one of the inherent drawbacks of diagnosing remotely.
Size of spots is critical with identifying ich, and when ich trophonts drop off, they do not leave the skin color changed.
Jay

OP
OP
Macfene

Macfene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ll try a freshwater dip and see if that helps whatever it is

OP
OP
Macfene

Macfene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what I have seen it is lymphocytes and I will help his immune system by maintaining good water quality and feeding regularly

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back