New clownfish in CP for mystery lethargy, now seeing white stringy poop... how to proceed with medicating?

Seashelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm really worried...

I have my new clownfish in QT in chloroquine phosphate since Monday due to unexplained lethargic behaviour. Started the CP because I didn't know what else to do, and I was worried it could be velvet coming on (no specific disease symptoms were observed other than lethargy and heavy breathing). No ammonia in the water, but I'm doing daily water changes just in case. She is stable now, but still spends a lot of time laying down inside her PVC pipe. Still swims around normally when she sees me, and is eating mini pellets.

I noticed white stringy poop and now I want to treat for internal parasites. Before I saw this symptom, I was hoping to put her through a prazipro treatment (in her water) after finishing her round of CP. The reason for this was to eliminate the possibility of flukes and internal parasites.

I want to start the parasite treatment now, but I don't think I can mix prazipro liquid with CP in the water, correct?

I think these are my options, and I would really love some input:
  1. Option A:
    • Start feeding metroplex (with focus) treated food
    • Continue CP treatment in the water while feeding metroplex (is this safe to combine with the metroplex?)
    • After CP treatment is complete, move the fish to prazipro treated water to treat for potential flukes (is this safe to do after the above treatments?)
  2. Option B:
    • Stop CP treatment prematurely since I'm not sure it's necessary or doing any good.
    • Start prazipro treatment in the water (assuming she will drink the water to kill internal parasites internally).
I appreciate your input on the above options, or any alternative options I haven't thought of.

Thank you!

OP
OP
Seashelly

Seashelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I tried the metroplex food method. Apparently the medicine does not taste very good... I did add garlic to improve the palatability. She ate about 2 medicated pellets. How much per day does she need to eat for this to be effective?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metronidazole is so bitter that few fish will eat it more than once, even masking it with fish oil or garlic doesn’t always work.
Jay

Back