New clownfish in new tank

Khwee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Its been a week since ive added two clowns. They are the first tank and parameters. I understand it takes time to adjust to a new tank but i have only read it only being a few days and not a week.

They swim all day and night on one side of the tank and have no interest in moving. Also they barely eat. Im not concerned i just want my clowns to enjoy the entire tank. Should i force them to the other side of the tank or let them continue on the one side of the tank? Im confused.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are not named clowns for nothing. They do what they want. I have a 600g tank and the pair stay in 1 corner. Up and down, laying eggs every few weeks. They move about 8" to the torch thats close to play in. They did swim the tank the first few hours but that was years ago. The nem they are supposed to play in, is across the tank and they wont go near anything but their corner.
Clowns........

OP
OP
K

Khwee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are not named clowns for nothing. They do what they want. I have a 600g tank and the pair stay in 1 corner. Up and down, laying eggs every few weeks. They move about 8" to the torch thats close to play in. They did swim the tank the first few hours but that was years ago. The nem they are supposed to play in, is across the tank and they wont go near anything but their corner.
Clowns........
Do u have a problem with feeding?

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can take a long time for them to be "normal" if ever, lol. Forget about forcing them to accept a hosting anemone. Clowns are kind of like cats. They do whatever they want.

You said they are barely eating. So they are eating some? They don't need much so probably ok. They're pretty hardy.

Try various different foods. Pellets, flakes, frozen, even live.

Grape_City_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first few days ours was finicky, now 2.5 yrs later we use a 5ml pipet to feed and she eats directly from the nozzle. Our clown lost her partner during the acclimation we didn't want risk adding another, and since then she stays in one corner and digs a depression in the sand. Even after our move last week she did the exact same thing in the rearranged tank.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first few days ours was finicky, now 2.5 yrs later we use a 5ml pipet to feed and she eats directly from the nozzle. Our clown lost her partner during the acclimation we didn't want risk adding another, and since then she stays in one corner and digs a depression in the sand. Even after our move last week she did the exact same thing in the rearranged tank.

I bet you could ask 100 reefers with Clowns about their behavior and you'd get 100 different answers!

Mmun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Its been a week since ive added two clowns. They are the first tank and parameters. I understand it takes time to adjust to a new tank but i have only read it only being a few days and not a week.

They swim all day and night on one side of the tank and have no interest in moving. Also they barely eat. Im not concerned i just want my clowns to enjoy the entire tank. Should i force them to the other side of the tank or let them continue on the one side of the tank? Im confused.
Clowns are a little weird. Mine hung out in one corner for like a month. Now they are all over. Try feeding. Larry fish frenzy to them

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u have a problem with feeding?

Because I feed my fish live food; White and Black worms and Brine shrimp, Frozen foods; Rods, Spirulina Brine Shrimp, Mysis, Calanus, Nori and TDO pellets of different sizes, I have never had problems getting even a new fish to eat.

OP
OP
K

Khwee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I feed my fish live food, White and Black worms Brine shrimp, Frozen foods, Rods, Spirulina Brine Shrimp, Mysis, Calanus, Nori and TDO pellets of different sizes, I have never had problems getting even a new fish to eat.
Do they eat food off the floor?

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always stay in the left front corner of a 54" tank. I've had them in for two weeks. Trying to get them to move closer to the back right corner as that is where my automatic feeder will be. But don't think that will ever happen.

They don't seem to like to eat in the morning before noon. Not sure if they eat pods during the night. But they will eat all types of food. They will take pellets from the floor.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back