New clownfish swimming sporadically

J2010701

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I purchased two clownfish two days ago. I did an 1 hour acclimation and added them to my quarantine tank. One of the clowns has been swimming back and forth since I got him. Has some discoloration. They both are eating but not sure what’s going on. See video. Thanks!

Ammonia - 1 (Did a 50% water change yesterday). I added Seachem Stability and Prime
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate- 0
Salinity - 1.018 SG

Attachments

• IMG_3903.MOV
    80.1 MB

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video isn’t loading so we can’t see the behaviour, but clowns are fairly weird and take a while to settle down and do all sorts of crazy things. They’re usually fine.

How old is your tank though? If you have detectable ammonia and no nitrates it must be very new, I’d suggest it isn’t cycled

Brucealmighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two clowns have always stayed in the back corner of my tank, :angry-face: I'm supposed to feel lucky when the female one comes out, and I'm supposed to be like North Korean people in praise with banners flags and lots of waving and crying :star-struck: :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :face-with-tears-of-joy: when she brings her man out for show and walking time so don't fret it is just what they do in our tanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any still pics under white lighting?

OP
OP
J2010701

J2010701

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny enough. He actually calmed down quite a bit. Not swimming as sporadically as before.

Ammonia is at 0.1, not 1ppm. Tank is about a week old. I was conflicted on cycling a quarantine tank since I may be dosing. I have a sponge and some ceramic media in a HOB filter. It was seeded from my display tank that was been cycling for about a month.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny enough. He actually calmed down quite a bit. Not swimming as sporadically as before.

Ammonia is at 0.1, not 1ppm. Tank is about a week old. I was conflicted on cycling a quarantine tank since I may be dosing. I have a sponge and some ceramic media in a HOB filter. It was seeded from my display tank that was been cycling for about a month.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Glad ammonia is only 0.1, I was starting to freak out.....

I would add an air stone to that tank, or lower the water level a bit to allow the filter to agitate the surface better....your fish need that for good gas exchange.

Here is a link to our quarantine protocol:

Jay

OP
OP
J2010701

J2010701

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone! Looks like he was fighting his reflection. I put a folder on the side of the tank and it calmed him down.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back