New clowns hosting nem secret

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
So my 2 year old flurries got murdered so I bought two new frostbites and put them locked in a box in my nem proprogation tank. Second day, and they are hosting it. It's a zen reef mushroom long box. About 10 inches wide, 3 deep 4 tall I think

Attachments

• 20200119_114557.mp4
    18 MB

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's great! With mixed success, others have used a 4" acrylic tube with holes/slits to slide over an anemone and then place the clowns inside so they are similarly putting the fish and anemone in a small confined space. It will be interesting to hear if the clowns and anemone continue the hosting relationship once they are placed back into the DT. Let us know and good luck!

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
That's great! With mixed success, others have used a 4" acrylic tube with holes/slits to slide over an anemone and then place the clowns inside so they are similarly putting the fish and anemone in a small confined space. It will be interesting to hear if the clowns and anemone continue the hosting relationship once they are placed back into the DT. Let us know and good luck!
They aren't going into the DT probably. My mystery wrasse or ruby longfin murdered my two year old flurries. They were aggressive clownfish too. So no clownfish is going back into DT probably

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 20 some odd years in the hobby on and off, the pair I just got are the first pair I've had that will host something besides a power head, or the corner of the tank.

Unfortunately for my little torch frag, they chose it.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They aren't going into the DT probably. My mystery wrasse or ruby longfin murdered my two year old flurries. They were aggressive clownfish too. So no clownfish is going back into DT probably

...so you plan to keep them long term in the anemone propagation tank? Are the anemones also going to be long term residents of the propagation tank? Not judging at all, I've just always used mine as transient so I'm curious.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a few anemones that host my 8 year old clowns. Currently they are homeless and the corner of the tank is now hosting them.

Ive always placed my newly acquired nem (usually attached to small pieces of rubble rock) in a floating plastic strainer with my clownfish. After a few days it was like they were never apart.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the right match between host anemone and clown it happens almost instantly; if you don’t it might, or it might not. I don’t think much else matters. Correlation is not causation.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
...so you plan to keep them long term in the anemone propagation tank? Are the anemones also going to be long term residents of the propagation tank? Not judging at all, I've just always used mine as transient so I'm curious.
They are going to stay in the anemone prop tank. The anemones are going to be long term residents until I decide to sell one. I think it will be cool for them to jump from bta to bta to bta

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are going to stay in the anemone prop tank. The anemones are going to be long term residents until I decide to sell one. I think it will be cool for them to jump from bta to bta to bta

That would certainly make a great video! ;Snaphappy

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 97 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back